Game Day Grand Final Matchday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is going to beat them at the mcg?

Only way I can see them missing out on the grand final is if Dusty got injured.

I just don’t see many genuine challengers. Perhaps Geelong but recent history suggests, not many beaten teams return to the grand final the next season.
Collingwood

Was thinking that whilst reading. "The Tigers are everything we're not"

Not just us but 16 others too. Only one team can be the best.

If its any consolation at least its the same team that has has been dominating for 3-4 years. That means theoretically its only one team we need to pass... the rest we are on more or less an equal footing with.

We're witnessing one of the best players to ever play AFL in Martin. Doubt we'll ever see a three time Norm Smith Medallist again.

3 x NSM
1 x Brownlow
3 x Premiership

That's a heck of a resume. If the Tigers win again, and Martin gets a fourth premiership, I'd say he passes Lethal as the best players in VFL / AFL history.

If we ever want to be like them we need a massive change to our culture and a complete rebuild of our list. They have 30 blokes who look like they are just best mates and put the club first. Our best players get paid way too much for what they’ve achieved. Grundy and JDG are good examples, even Darcy and maybe Ads. No disrespect to Nankervis but he is just a plodder who has been first ruck in 3 flags now, costs them peanuts compared to Brodie. Jordy not worth more than $600k, god only knows what we will end up paying him. Hawks, Cats and now Tigers have built dynasties by not paying overs for their stars and developing lots of quality depth on their lists.

We're witnessing one of the best players to ever play AFL in Martin. Doubt we'll ever see a three time Norm Smith Medallist again.

3 x NSM
1 x Brownlow
3 x Premiership

That's a heck of a resume. If the Tigers win again, and Martin gets a fourth premiership, I'd say he passes Lethal as the best players in VFL / AFL history.
Nah, I'd say he's got a bit yet to get to Lethal's status. I have a hard time seeing anyone in that category really.

I've got him firmly in the Ablett Sr / Buddy tier of player though. Someone you simply dread to come up against, but would pay money to watch alone.

It's hard to compare Dusty's accolades with Leigh given the NSM was only around for Leigh's 4th flag (when he was only an 80 goal kicking forward pocket), and the MVP was only introduced in 1982 (which he proceeded to win). Lethal's ... extracurricular activity made a Brownlow nigh on impossible, but regardless I think trying to judge a player on accolades alone is the wrong way to do it.

If we ever want to be like them we need a massive change to our culture and a complete rebuild of our list. They have 30 blokes who look like they are just best mates and put the club first. Our best players get paid way too much for what they’ve achieved. Grundy and JDG are good examples, even Darcy and maybe Ads. No disrespect to Nankervis but he is just a plodder who has been first ruck in 3 flags now, costs them peanuts compared to Brodie. Jordy not worth more than $600k, god only knows what we will end up paying him. Hawks, Cats and now Tigers have built dynasties by not paying overs for their stars and developing lots of quality depth on their lists.

None of these three teams have overpaid for a ruckman

Dusty Martin that was insane. Take note to our "stars" on how to lift when it matters. The 2018 GF, 2019 prelim and 2020 EF all had common traits. Our "stars" had below average games. The 2018 player of the finals series for eg was voted worse on ground in the one that mattered.

None of these three teams have overpaid for a ruckman
They all had multiple Brownlow medallists though. If you get the top end talent, you can justifiably pay them top dollar, and the next tier down can see where they need to get to to justify it. You can also keep a quality list together because they want to stay at a successful club, you become a destination club for players who might fill a specific need here or there.

We have guys like De Goey asking for $1m but nowhere near the output of a Mitchell, Hodge, Dangerfield, Selwood, Cotchin or Martin.

There’s a lot that goes into winning a flag, but generally these “dynasties” are born out of an outlier draft/s.
Hawthorn - Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis
Geelong - Hawkins, Selwood, Bartel, Taylor
Richmond - Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance

All of these guys were drafted, they provided the nucleus of those successful teams. Our nucleus of our most talented players is getting old. Reid and Brown are gone, D Thomas is long gone, Sidebottom is going off the rails, Pendlebury has perhaps a couple of years left.

Perhaps this is another reason why the 2014 draft was such a disaster; we completely failed in trying to refresh the list. De Goey, Grundy and Moore aren’t going to be enough in this era of compromised drafts to get the job done. If we are to go to the next level without bottoming out, we need to hit on a Fyfe, Swan, Neale calibre talent from later in the draft, and hope that Nicky D is as advertised next year.

Not the other 16, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast are the clubs. Sydney even

Collingwood are minnows alongside Dogs and Port of the last 20 years sadly.

The bar is so low now, it's like well at least doing better than Essendon and Carlton lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin didn’t exactly have a consistently dominant year either. Polled less than half the brownlow votes of the winner, and its richmond’s pressure and swarm squad that are the biggest reasons for their dominance. I think replace dusty with JDG in that team, and he kicks 4 as well

My earlier posts in reference to JDG and Dusty, was more in reference to the contract of $1M that JDG was seeking.
I was looking at more of the body of work that Martin had put together over the past handful of seasons, and in order for JDG to even be considered for a $1M contract, that is the level he has to reach.
I love JDG as a player, and hopefully he will stay, but he needs to be head down, bum up this preseason, and return to the club fit and l am sure he can take the next step. May also get to see him more in the midfield in 2021, if he can get the fittest he has been.
I would like to see him win a Copeland in the next two years, and to finish in the top 4 over the next two years, and to be an AA in the next two years.
Jordy is 24/25 years old, he is now at the point when he should be coming to the peak of his powers. I think Martin won a b & f, and was a AA at the same age Jordy is now, then won a brownlow a year later. A high ceiling to reach, but JDG has the ability and the tools. Unfortunately for him, its just attitude and consistency that he needs to work on, and then the $1M contract demands won't seem so delusional.

My earlier posts in reference to JDG and Dusty, was more in reference to the contract of $1M that JDG was seeking.
I was looking at more of the body of work that Martin had put together over the past handful of seasons, and in order for JDG to even be considered for a $1M contract, that is the level he has to reach.
I love JDG as a player, and hopefully he will stay, but he needs to be head down, bum up this preseason, and return to the club fit and l am sure he can take the next step. May also get to see him more in the midfield in 2021, if he can get the fittest he has been.
I would like to see him win a Copeland in the next two years, and to finish in the top 4 over the next two years, and to be an AA in the next two years.
Jordy is 24/25 years old, he is now at the point when he should be coming to the peak of his powers. I think Martin won a b & f, and was a AA at the same age Jordy is now, then won a brownlow a year later. A high ceiling to reach, but JDG has the ability and the tools. Unfortunately for him, its just attitude and consistency that he needs to work on, and then the $1M contract demands won't seem so delusional.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure Jordy will be the next Dusty. I reckon Jordy will be a Robbie Gray type player. Let’s just hope Jordy doesn’t fizzle out like a Jake Stringer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure Jordy will be the next Dusty. I reckon Jordy will be a Robbie Gray type player. Let’s just hope Jordy doesn’t fizzle out like a Jake Stringer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh god, please no!!!

They all had multiple Brownlow medallists though. If you get the top end talent, you can justifiably pay them top dollar, and the next tier down can see where they need to get to to justify it. You can also keep a quality list together because they want to stay at a successful club, you become a destination club for players who might fill a specific need here or there.

We have guys like De Goey asking for $1m but nowhere near the output of a Mitchell, Hodge, Dangerfield, Selwood, Cotchin or Martin.

There’s a lot that goes into winning a flag, but generally these “dynasties” are born out of an outlier draft/s.
Hawthorn - Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis
Geelong - Hawkins, Selwood, Bartel, Taylor
Richmond - Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance

All of these guys were drafted, they provided the nucleus of those successful teams. Our nucleus of our most talented players is getting old. Reid and Brown are gone, D Thomas is long gone, Sidebottom is going off the rails, Pendlebury has perhaps a couple of years left.

Perhaps this is another reason why the 2014 draft was such a disaster; we completely failed in trying to refresh the list. De Goey, Grundy and Moore aren’t going to be enough in this era of compromised drafts to get the job done. If we are to go to the next level without bottoming out, we need to hit on a Fyfe, Swan, Neale calibre talent from later in the draft, and hope that Nicky D is as advertised next year.
You've been supporting this club probably for as long as I have and I think you know that we will never make the hard decisions or the right decisions to get to where Richmond is, I don't know what the answer is but the culture of the club needs to change

Not correct, they were decimated mid year in 2019 and again this year. It’s their incredible depth that makes them very good and their medical people seem to be able to get them all back for finals. Combined with Houli and Edwards who stayed in Melb, they lost Astbury, Grimes, Prestia, Cotchin and Nankervis. Lynch busted his hand then did a hammy and they also lost Soldo. The good sides cover their injuries. Broad and Caddy couldn’t get a game during the year, Stack got done having a kebab, they’ve cleared blokes like Ellis and Butler and of course Rance has gone too. Other no names like Aarts, Chol, Ross and Markrov played lots of games too_Our depth runs out at about 14 or 15 and we end up paying overs to keep blokes that wouldn’t get that money at clubs like Rich and Geel. This is our biggest prob, the list just isn’t deep enough.

I just find they seem to be relatively healthy at the right time of year, especially with key players. Depth can carry you through the season but does it carry you through finals? I don’t see a team carrying players 25-30 on the list getting the job done in a GF. Every year they seem to be near full strength come finals whereas we still come limping in with players unavailable for various reasons.

2019 for example from memory - De Goey, Langdon, Beams, Reid, Wells, Cox, Greenwood, Dunn, Stephenson, Aish - all were either unavailable or coming back into the side after long stints of unavailability before finals. All arguably best 22 players on their day. There were even questions over Sidey and Moore at the back end of 2019. 2018 and 2020 similar.

Who is going to beat them at the mcg?

Only way I can see them missing out on the grand final is if Dusty got injured.

I just don’t see many genuine challengers. Perhaps Geelong but recent history suggests, not many beaten teams return to the grand final the next season.

Geel have an even older list.

Already said this two weeks ago. Cats win over Pies was not impressive since Pies were literal witches hats. Cats beating Lions the week after was pure choke job by Lions and hence why they need to go all out to get finals veterans who show fortitude.

Port was the team that would have won this year if they got past Tigers... It was very close.

When healthy Pies is the closest team to Tigers... They match up well.. When healthy and both are at their best.

Footy is about effort and speed these days... Cats are slow in many areas. They have big bodies though.... Adding Cameron ensures they stay big... But they need speed and explosion at the middle.

A healthy Pies have quick defenders and rebound well defensively. These traits were missing this year due to injuries and other players simply missing from the lineup.

But the Pies matches up well with Tigers... Like how Cats matched up well with Hawks back 5-7 years ago during their run.

You know what's really depressing.
3 flags in 4 seasons for the Tigers.
3 flags in 62 years for us.

I'm off to bunnings for a length of rope

Worst is yet to come looking at the state of Buckley + Hine's list and the rumours they think they'll fix it chasing a 33yo Kennedy or a Ben Brown lol

If Sidey had rooted his missus two months later that would be us standing there on the dais.
Sidey did get the leon davis award for worst on ground in the 2018 GF. Dont think he would have made any difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back