Preview Grand Final: Melbourne v Bulldogs - Saturday 25th September 2021, 7.15pm.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Such a joyful outcome. Dee's fans finally getting a flag and the Dogs embarrassed in a G F. So many tools in one team. Thinking Bailey Smith is the top tool especially with that do

Looking through some posts wondering how our list could compete with Melbourne in the years ahead, the Dynasty video on the AFL website is probably worth a watch. The narrative was essentially identical about Essendon coming into the 2001 season after their 2000 flag.

Similar questions were being asked about our group heading into that season too - were they good enough, would they ever become a great side, had they missed their moment etc.

These things don't seem the possible or likely trajectory until they very suddenly are. Even more than that - I can't really think of one premier since Hawthorn who entered their premiership season with greatness expected. The Bulldogs, Richmond, West Coast and Melbourne have all entered those flag years (Richmond's first, at least) with significant question marks over them, and by the assessment of the footy public, not enough talent to match it with the best sides.

The sides that have been talked up as having the best talent over that journey didn't go on to win a flag at all. GWS (the pre-ordained unstoppable dynasty), Collingwood (with their much-vaunted 'best midfield ever'), Geelong (bringing Danger and then Cameron in was expected to make them unmatchable), and even Carlton (all the high draft picks waiting to explode).

There's something noticeably un-sexy about each of those premiers in their premiership year. They weren't the hyped up team heading into those seasons, the general expectation was that they sat below a bunch of other sides, and certainly for Richmond and Melbourne they went into their premiership seasons under enormous scrutiny and with a heap of pressure on their coach. One more poor year - even one more half of a poor year - for Richmond in 2017 or Melbourne this year almost certainly would have seen Hardwick & Goodwin sacked. That's how fine the margins are.

All of this ultimately is to say that our predictions about what dynasties are coming almost always turn out to be far from the mark. Melbourne are a super team and may well win 3 more over the next decade, or they might be like Essendon's super 2000 team and max out with just the one. The good news is that we can clearly see with the talent & culture we have that we will at least be in the running. That's really all you can ask. Anything can happen from there.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking through some posts wondering how our list could compete with Melbourne in the years ahead, the Dynasty video on the AFL website is probably worth a watch. The narrative was essentially identical about Essendon coming into the 2001 season after their 2000 flag.

Similar questions were being asked about our group heading into that season too - were they good enough, would they ever become a great side, had they missed their moment etc.

These things don't seem the possible or likely trajectory until they very suddenly are. Even more than that - I can't really think of one premier since Hawthorn who entered their premiership season with greatness expected. The Bulldogs, Richmond, West Coast and Melbourne have all entered those flag years (Richmond's first, at least) with significant question marks over them, and by the assessment of the footy public, not enough talent to match it with the best sides.

The sides that have been talked up as having the best talent over that journey didn't go on to win a flag at all. GWS (the pre-ordained unstoppable dynasty), Collingwood (with their much-vaunted 'best midfield ever'), Geelong (bringing Danger and then Cameron in was expected to make them unmatchable), and even Carlton (all the high draft picks waiting to explode).

There's something noticeably un-sexy about each of those premiers in their premiership year. They weren't the hyped up team heading into those seasons, the general expectation was that they sat below a bunch of other sides, and certainly for Richmond and Melbourne they went into their premiership seasons under enormous scrutiny and with a heap of pressure on their coach. One more poor year - even one more half of a poor year - for Richmond in 2017 or Melbourne this year almost certainly would have seen Hardwick & Goodwin sacked. That's how fine the margins are.

All of this ultimately is to say that our predictions about what dynasties are coming almost always turn out to be far from the mark. Melbourne are a super team and may well win 3 more over the next decade, or they might be like Essendon's super 2000 team and max out with just the one. The good news is that we can clearly see with the talent & culture we have that we will at least be in the running. That's really all you can ask. Anything can happen from there.
Everyone expected West Coast to go back to back in 2019 but they had a massive premiership hangover after their 2018 flag. Could happen to Melbourne next year.

Pleasing result. Good guys won. That Christian Petracca fellow is quite good at footy.

Was at a 25th anniversary party last night and some of us were giving the score a look every now and again ... we didn't see the Demon's breakaway push but we went what the ... when the score jumped suddenly like that ... of course we were all pro Demon/ anti Dogs so it was all good and what seemed a close game was a slaughter in the end ... so very sad :D:rainbow:;):cool::mask:

4/5 out of the last five grand finals decided by comprehensive victories with some absolute beltings. The loser has always been set back. Aside from Essendon 30 years ago I'm not sure any team has ever bounced back from a finals belting. Maybe it's cope but I'm glad we missed this year. I don't think we could've beaten that Dees team just yet with the personnel we were missing. Historically much better to lose a close semi than to be blown out in a prelim or granny which has proven to be absolutely toxic.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is some wild overcorrecting in this thread. Melbourne were terrific and kept all of their best players uninjured and in career best form. That’s hard to maintain. We’re competitive with the best side in the competition within the margins where luck and timing will make the difference.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the biggest question mark will be Melbourne’s forwards. Fritsch is a neat player who can take advantage of the mids dominance, Brown is finished, Pickett will improve as well. Their struggles through the middle of the year coincided with Viney being out. If it was Petracca they’d understandable drop back. Backline is shaky at ground level but you have to get it to ground level.

Unfortunately in our final against them we couldn’t handle the pressure in the midfield and they broke the game open in the second and last and our struggling backline didn’t hold up too well. Need to find a way for our midfield to combat those big mids who attack the footy and players that hard and can actually link up through handball.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think our run of injuries this year might help us in the long run. We’ve had a chance to get games into Dev, Kiddy, Fullerton, Payne, Madden, etc. I think this will be crucial when we take that next step which might even be as soon as next year.

25 years on

Senior List
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even with a full list up and playing their best we would have got belted yesterday. But it shows what we need to do.

RoyBoy17

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Melbourne has the luxury of having the best ruck duo hands down in the league. Jackson goes in there in the third quarter and dominated for 10 minutes whilst Gawn rests forward. They are a powerful running team too. But the ruck advantage is huge. There mids at stoppages don’t have to worry about their opponent. They can all just hunt the footy. We need to play two rucks to help nullify that threat. Darcy Fort would be a good option. Sure he’s no gun but he’s a big unit like Big O and they can at least hold their own. Playing a rubbish second ruck even for 25% of the game is killing our mids and come finals Big O is cooked in the second half of games because he’s shouldering the load all year. I think two rucks is a must for us

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
4/5 out of the last five grand finals decided by comprehensive victories with some absolute beltings. The loser has always been set back. Aside from Essendon 30 years ago I'm not sure any team has ever bounced back from a finals belting. Maybe it's cope but I'm glad we missed this year. I don't think we could've beaten that Dees team just yet with the personnel we were missing. Historically much better to lose a close semi than to be blown out in a prelim or granny which has proven to be absolutely toxic.
Even tho a blowout one of the better GFs in my mind.....tuff contest for 3 and a bit then Dees went into next gear and put on a magnificent show.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have just been looking at the Melbourne website. Couldn't help but smile. It was brilliant.

..but I loved the photo's further down the main page of all the fans and their displays of colourful support before the game.

It was a magical win for them.

Also, saw Gary Lyon on Foxfooty last night interviewing Angus Brayshaw, that was pretty emotional. What a special person young Angus is, spoke so well. He also is the partner to one of Danny Frawley's daughters, spoke of them too.

Just a special night all round and couldn't be more pleased for the Demons and their fans.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FB_IMG_1632616148624.jpg

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disagree. Melbourne’s defence was shaky. I think our forwards could’ve made us competitive even if our midfield was struggling a bit.
Hippy embarrassed May in the first half of our HnA game. 2nd half Dees embarrassed US.

Back