Grand Final memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Ant85

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Since it's GF week, thought it'd be worth sharing some of our own personal GF memories (we've been in so many, so I suspect there's plenty of interesting stories).

I've been to four grand finals: three losing, one victorious.

2002 - was in high school, had been a kid through the horror 1990s, I don't think I've ever been as excited for the club as when we made the GF that year. Scalped a ticket, my friends thought I was crazy, but I went on my own anyway. Got seated in the Fitzroy members section - the friendliest opposition supporters I've ever sat with. They got pissed off when Brisbane supporters chanted "Brisbane, Brisbane", and started their own competing chants "Lions, Lions". When the siren sounded, my head was in my hands, lowered, distraught, while they all screamed around me. I felt a hand on my shoulder, this fella a few seats down shook my hand, "good game", and then the others started patting me on the back, obviously trying to boost my spirits. Ah bless the Roys.

2003 - seated right in front of where Rhyce Shaw slipped over and Lynch goaled. I left during the last quarter, I couldn't sit through the humiliation.

2010 replay - seated next to the cheersquad, 2nd row, best day of my life. Cheersquad even allowed me to wave the floggers in the last quarter. Gave Alan Didak a hug during the premiership lap, which was photographed and published in the HS. Caught up with Collingwood friends afterwards, partied all night.

2011 - seated in the Collingwood members, but literally the last seat adjacent to the Geelong members bay. I wanted to kill Ticketek for that. My most haunted memory was the first bounce, Geelong winning the clearance, and Varcoe scoring from 50, 19 seconds into the game. Their roar deafened me.
Hard seeing Varcoe run in our colours with that memory stained on my brain. I ran out (literally) of the stadium late in the last quarter when it was clear we were going to lose. I ran to a friend's place nearby in East Melbourne, who kindly consoled me.

Dad made me go to his lame friends house with his name friends house for the 2010 draw, none of them supported the saints they just wanted to see us lose, they rubbed each goal in to much, and it was cruel to a 12 year old kid. Watched the replay alone with dad and mum, and hugged dad when we won. I really wish i remember the day more, but ill never forget it and im so greatful ive lived through atleast 1 premiership :)

Great thread idea, very suitable topic!

As a 10 year old kid in 2002, I remember the moment that Jason Akermanis put a nail through the coffin and broke my heart :(

The next year, 2003, as an 11 year old obviously, I distinctly remember sitting on my uncle's couch in Watsonia and never getting into the game. Was a blow out from start to finish.

18 years of age, 2010, Panasonic had a competition on Facebook where you had to upload a picture of yourself at the footy, then get the most votes. After a solid week of pestering every Tom, Dick and Harry to vote for me, I was victorious. I took my brother with me and we were a part of history, only the 3rd ever drawn Grand Final in the history of the game.

I watched the replay a week later at the AAMI Park live site, nearing 3/4 time my mates and I ran over to the MCG and all the teary Saints supporters that were leaving were throwing pass outs and tickets on the floor. We went to gate 1, the sheer number of people trying to just get in a celebrate what was a certain victory was too overwhelming for security, we all got in and scattered through out the Collingwood army. Saw the last quarter and the medal presentation! The Norm Smith medal goes to.. STOTT EMBLERY.

2011, I watched from the live site at Gosch's paddock. Raining off and on for the whole day, but braced the weather and like almost a decade earlier, was heart broken, but I didn't run to my bedroom and slam the door like the 10 year old me did in 2002 lol.

Ah, footy.

1. 1990 GF Peter Daicos gathers the loose ball running towards the punt road end goals right on the boundary line, cooly slots our first goal of the match through in vintage Daicos style.
2. 2010 GF Replay Heath Shaw's smother on Rewoldt say no more!!!
3. 2010 Replay Didak's snap goal from 40 mtrs out amazing hair on the back of the neck stuff and the amazing roar as one by the Pies crowd!

I have been to 12 Collingwood Grand Finals.

I was at 70, 77, 77, 79, 80, 81, 90, 02, 03, 10, 10 and 11.
2 wins, 2 draws and 8 losses.

Amazing.
I have been to five (1990, 2002, 2010 x 2 and 2011). I watched the 77,79,80 and 81 loses on TV. My dad went to the 1970 GF and is still traumatised by it. In 1981 I rang my Carlton supporting mate at three quarter time to gloat. I learnt a valuable lesson that day.
The 2010 replay was my greatest day at the footy. We had a BBQ in the car park before the game and had seats only three rows back from the fence. Still remember Daisy passing along the fence after the siren, he was so pumped. Still hurts that he left.

77. Being fairly young, I wasn't sure what it was all about but remember thinking why the hell my brother was crying after the game? I laughed at him and called him a sooky baby while I was making Six Million Dollar man bionic noises and pretending to run in slow motion around the house.

79. No six million dollar noises but ran really fast to my bedroom and slammed the door when Harmes knocked the ball in from the 12th row and the bastards kicked a goal.

80. Remember an expletive ridden house every time KB kicked a goal. My old man was on a rampage that day. I think my brother was curled up in the foetal position for a week after that. I copped a lot of s**t at school and my marbles form deserted me for a while after that. * Richmond, I lost a s**t load of good marbles. My collection of Steelies, Spaghettis, Tom bowlers and crystals was whittled down to almost none. * Richmond.

81. Real disdain for Carlton started on that day. Watching those pricks dry root one another each time they kicked a goal in the last quarter created a lot of hatred for each one of those campaigners. It remains and is transferred to anyone who wears that jumper.

Will post later, consoling junior who wants to know why the Pies aren't in the GF this week.

Bloody hell. Do you have a heart condition as a result?

It certainly tested the heart over the years. So many close ones. 10 points in 70, the draw in 77, 5 points in 79, leading in 81 etc. I realise one thing out of it all. My heart bleeds black and white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please mods close this thread or I'll be back in counseling. As my username suggests both draws and 1977,1981,2002,2011 losses. 0-2-4. And no it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault ...

... it's not your fault. (although...)
---

'90 - I was too young, and as a West Aussie wasn't really following the Pies at that time.
'02 - Remember watching it from home with my brothers. Remember thinking "that's a tough one, but we'll be back".

'03 - this was a very tough one. I was living in the pacific for 3-4 months without any access to aussie TV. I was following the AFL season on the net up until after the prelims, and then I put a blanket ban on anyone telling me the result until I got home to watch the GF on video about a month later. A guy I was travelling with, and some friends we stayed with in Fiji were all avid Footy fans, and all ribbed me about the Pies but never gave away the result. My younger brother did hint something on a phone call that made me think that the pies had won - so I spent a whole month thinking the result might have gone our way.... pretty much watched the game the moment I arrived home, and was pretty angry. That one was a massive let down.

'10, Replay and '11 - were all the same, watched it with a group of mates at my place in Perth. Was stressed more than anything for '10, but very, very much enjoyed the replay, including singing "Good Old Collingwood Forever" pretty much any chance I got when playing soccer straight after.
I think '11 came with more a feeling of inevitability, and at least my neighbour, who's a cats fan, was pretty cool about it.

Amazing.
I have been to five (1990, 2002, 2010 x 2 and 2011). I watched the 77,79,80 and 81 loses on TV. My dad went to the 1970 GF and is still traumatised by it. In 1981 I rang my Carlton supporting mate at three quarter time to gloat. I learnt a valuable lesson that day.
The 2010 replay was my greatest day at the footy. We had a BBQ in the car park before the game and had seats only three rows back from the fence. Still remember Daisy passing along the fence after the siren, he was so pumped. Still hurts that he left.

Cheers mate. Your Grand Final record is pretty impressive as well. 81 really hurt me as we looked like we had it won and I was at an age when I was old enough to feel the pain and the wrath of my Cartlon mates.

Please mods close this thread or I'll be back in counseling. As my username suggests both draws and 1977,1981,2002,2011 losses. 0-2-4. And no it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault, it's not my fault ...

At one stage my stats stood at 0 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses so stay strong.

1990; First Pies Grand final after being to so many involving Hawks, Bombers and Blues. Sat in the old Olympic stand about 10 rows from the front (which was the VFL/AFL members back then on GF day). My most vivid memory of that game is Tony Shaw carrying the cup up the race and the lights gleaming off it. My old man and Uncle who had lived through all the s**t (they'd been going together since the early 60's) opened a bottle of champagane after the final siren. The party at Vic Park was euro soccer stuff, madness, people getting crushed into the stage. I sat in the SHerrin stand and watched it all unfold that night that's what I really remember from that day.

2002; The most heartbreaking loss of all, just because we came so close. Other Pies fans applauded the team after the final siren while I slumped in my chair, didn't even see Bucks get his Norm Smith, probably meant as much to him as it did to me at the time nothing.

2003; Sat behind the Lions players race and I swear their were 5-6 Lions limping after their warmup, game was over by half time, later they showed pics of the Lions rooms with all those empty drug buckets. Hate that mob forever, so glad they are failing now.

2010; Was the happiest person in the ground when the siren went, couldn't stop telling people we would smash the Saints the next week. But that Goddard mark almost killed me, I turned white and almost threw up. The Milne bounce is so over rated, he never got anywhere near it. Ben Johnson and toovey saved us thatd draw with clearances out of defense in the last minute or so.

2010 replay; Best day of my life so far, not going to lie, from Lionel richie pre show (not far away from his stage either) to the game that just went perfectly, was just perfect. The post game was a little tame compared to 1990 but AAMI Park and Lionel again was great.

2011; Knew we were screwed when I got out of the car and smashed my phone. All went downhill after that, 19 seconds in we looked cooked, although Cloke managed to give us hope in the first quarter or so until he was triple teamed and no one else helped him. Surrounded by Cats fans at the end but stayed till the final siren, they really are boring fans, even when they are winning a flag.

To be continued, 2018 is the next chapter I reckon.

I've been to one grand final. The 2010 replay. It was like a dream.

As I walked in I had 2 bets. 50 on pendles at 8's, and 50 on Collingwood 40-59 at 8's.

From the moment Heath Shaw smothered that footy we were never going to lose.

When Swanny kicked his goal in the third, the Collingwood bloke beside me (who'd been buying me bourbons) picked me up and showed me to all the crowd above in the top deck. I spread my arms wide like Kate Winslet on the titanic and let the Collingwood noise wash over me.

When he put me down I sort of glanced down at my sunnies which were on the v of my t-shirt.

He said "oh sorry mate, your glasses!"
I said "I don't care!!"
He said "Just chuck em then"

In that moment, despite generally being an upstanding citizen, I would have done anything he wanted me to do. So I chucked them.

Sorry if I hit anyone.

Then we were premiers, I found my best Collingwood mate outside the ground and we danced. Oh how we danced.

On the walk home we stopped at perfectly timed bottle o's and bought one long neck at a time.

We also stopped in at the tab where I collected my cold 8 hunj.

It was magical magicians magic.

Go pies

Our paths of pain and ultimately reaching the ultimate twice is almost identical. Never forget the feeling in 90 after so much hurt.
Oh yes, 1990 was incredible. I don't think I've ever felt as good as I did that afternoon/then night etc.

The walk/march from the MCG down Punt road to Vic Park is one of my most favourite memories of all time. It felt like I was walking on air and the smiles on people's faces......just awesome.

Oh yes, 1990 was incredible. I don't think I've ever felt as good as I did that afternoon/then night etc.

The walk/march from the MCG down Punt road to Vic Park is one of my most favourite memories of all time. It felt like I was walking on air and the smiles on people's faces......just awesome.

Exactly the same mate. The most amazing feeling. I remember the horns beeping, the noise, the excitement and the relief. I was on crutches and in plaster for a broken leg. I still walked from the G to Pie Park. Somewhere through the night I lost my crutches in the celebration. I ended up at The Tunnel the next night where the players were. Never forget having beers with Pants.
On the Monday I had to have my plaster reset due to the damage done to it during celebrations. Set me back a few weeks but was worth every second.

1990; First Pies Grand final after being to so many involving Hawks, Bombers and Blues. Sat in the old Olympic stand about 10 rows from the front (which was the VFL/AFL members back then on GF day). My most vivid memory of that game is Tony Shaw carrying the cup up the race and the lights gleaming off it. My old man and Uncle who had lived through all the s**t (they'd been going together since the early 60's) opened a bottle of champagane after the final siren. The party at Vic Park was euro soccer stuff, madness, people getting crushed into the stage. I sat in the SHerrin stand and watched it all unfold that night that's what I really remember from that day.

2002; The most heartbreaking loss of all, just because we came so close. Other Pies fans applauded the team after the final siren while I slumped in my chair, didn't even see Bucks get his Norm Smith, probably meant as much to him as it did to me at the time nothing.

2003; Sat behind the Lions players race and I swear their were 5-6 Lions limping after their warmup, game was over by half time, later they showed pics of the Lions rooms with all those empty drug buckets. Hate that mob forever, so glad they are failing now.

2010; Was the happiest person in the ground when the siren went, couldn't stop telling people we would smash the Saints the next week. But that Goddard mark almost killed me, I turned white and almost threw up. The Milne bounce is so over rated, he never got anywhere near it. Ben Johnson and toovey saved us thatd draw with clearances out of defense in the last minute or so.

2010 replay; Best day of my life so far, not going to lie, from Lionel richie pre show (not far away from his stage either) to the game that just went perfectly, was just perfect. The post game was a little tame compared to 1990 but AAMI Park and Lionel again was great.

2011; Knew we were screwed when I got out of the car and smashed my phone. All went downhill after that, 19 seconds in we looked cooked, although Cloke managed to give us hope in the first quarter or so until he was triple teamed and no one else helped him. Surrounded by Cats fans at the end but stayed till the final siren, they really are boring fans, even when they are winning a flag.

To be continued, 2018 is the next chapter I reckon.
I harp on about this at any opportunity but it really would have had to have bounced perfectly for him for it to be a goal. Johnson and Sidebottom were closing fast and he would have had work to do even with a favourable bounce

I harp on about this at any opportunity but it really would have had to have bounced perfectly for him for it to be a goal. Johnson and Sidebottom were closing fast and he would have had work to do even with a favourable bounce

Sorry guys, the replay doesn't show that.

Milne got closest on the first bounce, and also reacted better when it bounced awkwardly - Johnson was wrong footed at that point. If the second bounce was straight, or even held up for a moment, it would've gone straight through, or Milne would've walked into an empty goal. Instead that second bounce went at 90-degrees and the rest was history. (thankfully).

Sorry guys, the replay doesn't show that.

Milne got closest on the first bounce, and also reacted better when it bounced awkwardly - Johnson was wrong footed at that point. If the second bounce was straight, or even held up for a moment, it would've gone straight through, or Milne would've walked into an empty goal. Instead that second bounce went at 90-degrees and the rest was history. (thankfully).

That's our point though, we were there, the people watching on TV weren't, and only saw it from 2 angles, as that replay shows.

I've only heard a few Pies fan say that Milne ever had a real chance of getting that ball, and most of them were either watching at home or on a similar angle to those TV replays.

From my angle (wing Southern Stand) the ball was so far ahead of him that it would have had to have bounced straight up and sat up perfectly for him to get it before a Pies player got there to stop him.

It's been played as a critical moment that Milne got wrong or that it was unlucky, when in fact he would have had to have got more then lucky to get that ball before the 2 Pies players go on top of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back