Review Grand Final: Richmond vs Greater Western Sydney, MCG, Saturday 28/09/19, 2:30 PM AEST

Winner and Norm Smith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Observations

Richmond: An 8 goal to 2 second half got Richmond over the line against Geelong after trailing by 21 at half time. Bachar Houli was at his running best with 32 disposals, 9 rebound 50's and almost 600 metres gained whilst big recruit Tom Lynch had 19 disposals, 10 marks (4 contested) and 5 goals to lead them to their second Grand Final in 3 years.

Greater Western Sydney: Five goals to nothing in the third quarter helped the Giants win a tight game against Collingwood, the game going down to the wire with only 4 points separating them at the end. Nick Haynes was instrumental with 30 disposals and 10 intercepts whilst Jeremy Cameron was the focal point with 3 goals.

Head to Head (last 5)

Richmond 3-2 GWS

Form Guide

Richmond: 5W 0L
GWS: 4W 1L

Sportsbet odds

Richmond: $1.36
GWS: $3.30
Line: 18.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Richmond vs GWS

B: Jayden Short - David Astbury - Nathan Broad
F: Brent Daniels - Jeremy Cameron - Jeremy Finlayson
HB: Nick Vlaustin - Dylan Grimes - Bachar Houli
HF: Toby Greene - Harrison Himmelberg - Daniel Lloyd
C: Brandon Ellis - Dion Prestia - Kane Lambert
C: Adam Tomlinson - Josh Kelly - Lachlan Whitfield
HF: Daniel Rioli - Jack Riewoldt - Shai Bolton
HB: Nick Haynes - Aiden Corr - Heath Shaw
F: Jason Castagna - Tom Lynch - Josh Caddy
B: Adam Kennedy - Phil Davis - Sam Taylor
R: Ivan Soldo - Trent Cotchin - Dustin Martin
R: Shane Mumford - Jacob Hopper - Stephen Coniglio
I: Shane Edwards - Toby Nankervis - Jack Graham - Liam Baker
I: Harry Perryman - Tim Taranto - Matthew de Boer - Zachary Williams

EMG: Mabior Chol - Sydney Stack - Kamdyn McIntosh - Jackson Ross
EMG: Ian Hill - Lachlan Keefe - Sam Reid - Dawson Simpson

Richmond in: N/A; Out: N/A
Greater Western Sydney in: Toby Greene, Lachlan Whitfield, Stephen Coniglio; Out: Ian Hill, Lachlan Keefe, Sam Reid

Richmond defence vs Greater Western Sydney forward line

The Giants have the second most efficient forward line in the AFL this season, kicking a goal 24.6% of the time it enters their forward 50. Richmond are surprisingly middle of the pack here as well, conceding a goal 21.8% of the time it enters their defensive 50. All eyes will be on Jeremy Cameron against David Astbury at this end of the ground, the Coleman medalist against Richmond's best stopper, Cameron kicking 10 goals this year against Richmond from their 2 games so far, whilst the mobile Nathan Broad and Dylan Grimes seem likely to go with Harrison Himmelberg and Jeremy Finlayson. Another one to watch is Jayden Short trying to lock down Brent Daniels, the latter having 25 goal assists this season.

Midfield/rucks battle

Greater Western Sydney hold sway over Richmond in terms of clearance differential, being the second best team in the league in that particular department whilst the Tigers are 16th, the Giants also 2nd in contested possession differential to the Tigers 17th. Richmond are more about pressure around the ball and forcing them to kick blindly whilst the Giants have some of the best extractors in the game with Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto and Toby Greene to release the likes of Lachie Whitfield on the outside. Trent Cotchin will be the key to halving those clearances for Richmond with Matt de Boer likely to take Dustin Martin after holding him to 15 touches earlier in the year, most of Richmond's run and carry will be from the likes of Dion Prestia and Shane Edwards. Rucks wise, Ivan Soldo and Toby Nankervis are much more mobile than big Shane Mumford, so expect them to use that to their advantage.

Richmond forward line vs Greater Western Sydney defence

Richmond's forward line is around the middle of the pack in terms of goals per inside 50, kicking one 22.8% of the time it enters their forward 50. Greater Western Sydney are 6th in defensive efficiency in the league, conceding a goal 20.8% of the time it enters their back 50. Tom Lynch against Phil Davis should be a sight to behold, the Tigers big man having kicked 7 in the two games against the Giants this year, whilst impressive young tall Sam Taylor will likely get the job on Jack Riewoldt. Josh Caddy's match-up will be interesting, expect the flexible Aiden Corr to take him whilst Adam Kennedy is likely to go with Jason Castagna as Richmond's most dangerous small forward.

X-Factor Player

Liam Baker is one that has flown under the radar somewhat this year for the Tigers but he's an excitement machine and will love to get out on the big stage here.

Key stat

Richmond: Tackles Inside 50's. This is always an important measure for the Tigers, expect them to dominate if they get this right.

Greater Western Sydney: Clearances. Second best clearance team in the league with their inside group. Need to win this stat in particular to win the game.

Tip

Screw the head, going with the heart. GWS by 15, Toby Greene to get the Norm Smith

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd really like to see the Giants win but they won't. Richmond is going to pummel them at every contest. They're battle hardened and give no thought to self-preservation, only self-sacrifice. The Tigers will be ruthless.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond are another level or two above Collingwood. Giants have a star studded midfield that will trouble Richmond for parts of the game.

I think Richmond will be far too good for GWS simply because they can play better for longer. I'm hoping it's a close contest.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Am genuinely torn.

On one hand we have Richmond, whose fans will be nigh on impossible to handle if they win this flag. The 2020 season within BigFooty will just be full of more dead set dead s**t morons celebrating their success. I'm not sure I have the mental or physical fortitude.

One the other hand we have GWS who, should they win, essentially justify everything the AFL has done/is doing/was doing to begin with when it comes to expansion. The thought of Gillon smiling a big s**t eating grin at their success makes me ill. Same Toby Greene.

Who am I supporting? Paul Kelly.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Richmond go in as deserved favourites but I'd love GWS to win, always enjoyed watching them play. A tough few games running in for GWS will either have them exhausted from getting to the big stage, or full of confidence like the 2016 Bulldogs.

Seeing Mumford let off the chain in potentially his last game in a GF could really be something to behold, and Toby Greene is ripe for a Norm Smith, absolutely made for the big stage, as much as he's exceptionally stupid.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Am genuinely torn.

On one hand we have Richmond, whose fans will be nigh on impossible to handle if they win this flag. The 2020 season within BigFooty will just be full of more dead set dead s**t morons celebrating their success. I'm not sure I have the mental or physical fortitude.

One the other hand we have GWS who, should they win, essentially justify everything the AFL has done/is doing/was doing to begin with when it comes to expansion. The thought of Gillon smiling a big s**t eating grin at their success makes me ill. Same Toby Greene.

Who am I supporting? Paul Kelly.

There's nothing wrong woth Toby Greene. I don't get the hate.

Go Giants every day of the week.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Agree, Big Mummy is going to be pivotal, big game could mean big upset.
Still miffed the Bombers didn't chase him when the chance arose, his type of game would've fitted us to a tee.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I was living in Sydney when GWS came into the league. The Kevin Sheedy factor, plus the fact they had so few supporters, made me adopt them as a second team. Attended a fair few games in the early years and while I don't watch them every week I always hope they get the win.

I didn't give them much of a chance against Collingwood and I feel the same about Richmond. It is just hard to see them playing well enough across the four quarters with the type of injuries and underdone players they have.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Think the Giants can do it, I'm expecting a super fiery game which will play into their hands a bit.

De Boer will go to Martin and Richmond will have a gameplan which no doubt will involve getting stuck into De Boer, there will be opportunities for the Giants to counter attack when they get too preoccupied about protecting Martin.

I'll be plonking some money on Toby Greene for Normie, he will thrive on the big stage, could see high 20s touches and a handful of goals.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Richmond should be favourites but this giants team has taken 3 big scalps and looks pretty damn focussed. Also think they have the quality in defence and attack to really trouble Richmond if they can handle the pressure.

Back