Preview 2016 Grand Final: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf is going on around here guys

It doesn't matter if we loose cause I don't mind the doggies etc etc

It's a GF , they don't come very often farking win the thing

Just be as bad as 14

By almeans I don't hate the doggies but them lifting the cup in front of us , no thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for the intrusion...
I just wanted to wish you guys luck for next week. Unlike most people, I don't want the Dogs to win. You guys have been the best team all year. All the talk about COLA etc is garbage, fact is you are a powerhouse of the AFL who recruits well and attracts the stars. Clubs like the Dogs and Saints have been mediocre for years; because they aren't anywhere near professional sporting clubs like the swans.
Good luck and hope it's a good game.

This match represents a slightly easier game than it would have against the Giants.

Both the dogs and the Giants give us immense difficulties because their on ball brigades are as good as, and may possibly be, better than ours. Our ability to win the ball in the contest is negated meaning that the game becomes played much less on our terms. We are going to have to come up with something here because they spanked us in both of the last two matches and we looked second best for much of both games in the contest.

They showed this again yesterday. If you had said that mummy was going to ruck against boyd for over a half before the game started you would have assumed that the Giants would have cleared space and got their handpassing to the outside runners going all night. It didn't happen.

If the dogs end up bringing minson into the team it could also be a problem - he has always given us trouble and he is the sort of thug that would look to break tippetts jaw in the first contest.

Further their hbf and wing types are super quick - much much quicker than anything we've got other than Rohan. We are going to have to find a way to stop them in the middle.

If we do get a good result around the middle I give us a good shot. The dogs' defence is a little shorter (although they can and do play taller than their heights might suggest) which might provide Tippett in particular with a few opportunities but I can also see Rohan drifting in from the side to mark a few if our kicking is ok.

Their forward line is a bit unpredictable. This makes it a harder game than either Geelong or Adelaide where they both have a couple of key targets and then some role players around them. they will tend to kick to the best target which makes things a bit more tricky. Zoning off is hard when your man is pretty likely to get the ball and our defence relies on third man up situations a lot.

Overall I think this is a much much harder game to prepare for which may well be part of the reason why we have struggled the last two times we have played them.

We should win. Not because we were first and they were seventh because I don't think that means anything in a comp where home and away is so bizarrely structured, but because we know the one area of the ground where we have to improve from our last two games against them. I reckon you learn a lot more from your losses than you do your wins and I'd be looking at those losses with a fair bit of focus.

Last edited:

Since I was just a babe in the '50's, with my parents and sibling (and uncles and cousins), we followed South Mebourne week in week out - rain, hail or shine. I grew up standing on the bowling green side of Lake Oval, teaching the cockatoo "Chewy on yer boot" at half time.
This is our history - Proudly - One Team Two Cities.
So "Chewy on yer boot" to the AFL and those who are not for us !!!!

We've never beaten the Dogs on the MCG. Lost three knockout finals in 1997, 2008 and 2010.

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine! :p

Let me just remind you that this is the year of the Dew, a leap year, an Olympic year and part of a something or other sequence!!! And all of these omens indicate that we are going to win!:D

But the deciding factor that absolutely assures me we are going to win... Punts says so! :thumbsu:

Good luck next week against the Bulldogs.

I know they're playing very well at the moment, and have proved a difficult match-up for you over the past couple of seasons.

But I'm sure you'll win. You have too many players determined to atone for 2014, and that will be the difference.

Good luck next week against the Bulldogs.

I know they're playing very well at the moment, and have proved a difficult match-up for you over the past couple of seasons.

But I'm sure you'll win. You have too many players determined to atone for 2014, and that will be the difference.

Our side will play footy too unlike GWS yesterday

If we win this, the Buddy trade is forever justified.

For me, Buddy's trade is already justified. In fact, I believe that we have already come out on top!

The influence he is having on kids like Heeney and Papley is enormous; his will to win is rubbing off on all those around him; the pressure he places on the opposition week after week after week; and I think that we can personally thank him for the improvement in Rohan; and all of that is aside from his kicking in and outside 50. Added to all this, the way he has raised the face of AFL in Sydney since he arrived is nothing short of remarkable!

Whatever we are paying him, he had done the job that was asked of him and more!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf is going on around here guys

It doesn't matter if we loose cause I don't mind the doggies etc etc

It's a GF , they don't come very often farking win the thing

Just be as bad as 14

By almeans I don't hate the doggies but them lifting the cup in front of us , no thanks

Exactly. I hope people saying this can remember their silly post when they're in tears after the siren ends.

It's not a charity. It's not pass the parcel. Haven't won a flag in ages? Get good.

Who cares what the neutrals think? It's a game not a popularity contest.

Looking at our last two losses to the dogs they never really dominated. I don't think they have the wood on us so much as they've had the rub of the green.

One ball bounces in another direction and they don't get that mark right near the siren last time around.

But we should take note: they feed off passion. We have to match their will to succeed.

My first reaction to their win last night was it was disappointing we don't get the chance to exact revenge on GWS. But we have decades to do that on an annual basis.

My second reaction was: we've lost the neutrals. It'll be a hostile buildup. But we overcame that in 2012. We can do it again. And we're a vocal presence in the stands. The boys will know they're not alone.

Bring it on.

Farking excited! Going in with a smaller mobile defence will be key. Drop Laidler and Marsh, Mills hopefully fully fit to come in, push Rohan back to defence. McVeigh to be as far away from a one on one contest as possible if he comes good. Not even sure he knows what the word "contest" means, so into the mids as an outside receiver. Wouldn't mind Heeney playing wing/HBF, would give us an exit kick and his ferocious tackling will put their forwards in two minds.

Mids and forwards play their own games and they should win their positions.

Good on you. I'm sure your papa would have loved tonight. It's great you could enjoy that on his behalf.

It is possible to dislike the dogs with cause, however.

Don't take this as an attack on you or your papa. But Ido hate the Doggies. With a passion. Right back to the days when Libba used to deliberately grow long fingernails and sharpen them so he could scratch Paul Kelly and draw blood.

Their current President is a campaigner of the worst order. He was one of the architects of the removal of COLa and helped turn our great club into some sort of pantomine pariah. To such sn extent that Adam Goodes could be booed out of the game because he was $ydney player and was therefore fair game.

Darcy played for them. And he labelled us cheats in the media. Purpetuated the COLa warchest lies, and defended the Goodes booers.

So with respect..**** em.
Gordon is a poor mans McGuire. He even has the same fat head

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine! :p

Let me just remind you that this is the year of the Dew, a leap year, an Olympic year and part of a something or other sequence!!! And all of these omens indicate that we are going to win!:D

But the deciding factor that absolutely assures me we are going to win... Punts says so! :thumbsu:
There is also the Collingwood curse
of this century that shows if we beat the Pies at least once in the season we can win the flag.

2005, 2012 we beat the Pies and in 2006 and 2014 we lost to them.

2016 we beat them so surely the Pies curse still applies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back