Grand Final Ticketing

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2009
MEL --> ADL
AFL Club
Sydney
Fellow Sydney Swans members, you are probably aware that given we won the Qualifying Final against the Crows, we need to get our Grand Final ticket preference in.

Those who have a Priority Group 2 (Full Blooded Members) , just register your intention to purchase a ticket, otherwise the access is waived for the ballot.

For those in a Priority Group 1 (Redback members, Cheer Squad members, Premiership Club, Ultimate 11 and Life members), a GF ticket is guaranteed, but same thing applies, need to show your intention for purchasing a ticket. More on this below.

You would have received a letter from Sydney Swans containing your Membership Barcode (Also on your Card), your priority number, and Ticketek contact details (ticketek.com.au or 1300 796 939).

Important that you register on:

Priority 1 members: 8-11am on Thursday 13 September (Which is this coming Thursday)
Priority 2 members: midday - 4pm on Thursday 13 September (Which is this coming Thursday)
Priority 3 members: 5pm - 9pm on Thursday 13 September (Which is this coming Thursday)

Outside this time means you haven't indicated that you want a 2012 Grand Final ticket.

Go Swans!

PS: More on this here.

4. Grand Final ticket access: Should the Sydney Swans qualify to play in the 2012 AFL Grand Final, the ticketing arrangements will be as follows: Each member will have a different priority level depending on their membership package. Any member wishing to take up their priority to Grand Final tickets must register their interest prior to the Grand Final. Your membership type will determine when you register. Further information is communicated to all members in early September. Grand Final tickets are processed in order of priority. This is as follows: Priority 1: Redback members, Cheer Squad members, Premiership Club, Ultimate 11 and Life members Priority 2: Full Blooded members All members will be required to register their interest in Grand Final tickets. Redback and Cheer Squad members will register through Sydney Swans Member Services. Remaining Priority One and all Priority Two members must register their intention to purchase via the relevant ticketing agency. Priority Two registrations will be entered into a randomised ballot and will be allocated any remaining tickets available after Priority One members have been allocated. All members may only purchase one Grand Final ticket per valid membership in the same category as your membership (e.g adult must buy adult ticket) with the exception that there are no junior tickets for the AFL Grand Final. Juniors can only purchase a concession ticket. Red 3, Country 5, Interstate, Superpass, Supporter and Swans Squad members do not have access to Grand Final tickets from the Sydney Swans member allocation.

http://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/terms

I was in the position of registering for the ballot in 2010 had we beaten the Dogs in the semi final, and I think we worked out that about 4-6 memberships entered together was the most ideal number for success. This was because each membership has one entry in the ballot but only requires one of those memberships to be successful for the group to get tickets, but getting any more in the group might force you to miss out and they may not have any allocated blocks of seats left.

Aren't full blooded gold members guaranteed GF tickets?
The letter says

PRIORITY GROUP ONE - Guaranteed. Premiership Club and Ultimate 11 Members (Redback members will receive separate communication)
PRIORITY GROUP TWO - Ballot. Full Blooded 11 Members, VIC Full Blooded Platinum and Gold Members
PRIORITY GROUP THREE - Ballot. VIC Full Blooded Silver Members, Red 3, Country 5, Superpass, Supporter Members, AFL Silver Club Support members

I was in the position of registering for the ballot in 2010 had we beaten the Dogs in the semi final, and I think we worked out that about 4-6 memberships entered together was the most ideal number for success. This was because each membership has one entry in the ballot but only requires one of those memberships to be successful for the group to get tickets, but getting any more in the group might force you to miss out and they may not have any allocated blocks of seats left.

Yes correct grim - the letter says group entries will be 'one in, all in' or 'one out, all out'. I am GF preference (no guarantee) and will probably have a group of 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go with guaranteed? I've got mates who are scattered through priority two and three. If we enter together do I a) give up my guaranteed ticket and b) do we all enter under priority 3?
Yes and yes

I've got Premiership Club membership, I get guaranteed tickets etc. Does that allow me any other privileges in terms of seating arrangements.
What kind of privileges are you thinking of?

Apparently if you want to sit with Priority 3's, you reduce your chance to grab a ticket.
Well, yes, going from guaranteed down would reduce my chances a fair bit. Don't P3s only get a run if there are tickets left over after the first two lots go?

If yes then I definitely pass.
Then make new friends.
I'm not a social bear.

If you read the letter you get whatever category they assign to you. So you could get the $390 Platinum all the way down to the $176.50 standing room (although you can state you don't want to accept any standing room tickets in which case you will miss out)

For people taking their chances in the ballot, this was on the ticketing section of the AFL website:

The AFL has announced a significant increase in the number of tickets available to Club Members for the 2012 Toyota AFL Grand Final as part of an overhaul of the Club, Corporate and Member ticket allocations. This increase in tickets available to Club Members has meant there will be a significant reduction in the number of corporate packages available.

It's unclear exactly how many the participating clubs are likely to get, but I found this on the AFL website:

http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2012...y_of_returns_allocations_onsellers_280612.pdf

According to the first page, competing clubs will get between 16,000-35,000 tickets.

Assuming (hypothetical only, for the purposes of this exercise) that it's a Hawks-Sydney GF, and a total allocation of 30,000, on the basis that Hawthorn have roughly twice as many members as us (60,841 v 33,698), we would get 10,000 and the Hawks 20,000.

Out of that allocation of 10,000, some will go to guaranteed members, and there will presumably be separate allocations for Sydney-based and Victorian members. Fortunately, as we are a non-Victorian club, the chances of full club (non-guaranteed) members succeeding in the ballot are boosted by the fact due to the cost of flights, accommodation and the high ticket prices for the game, not all Sydney-based members will be able to attend. So you should have a rough idea of what the odds of getting a ticket are (if we do make it), at least. (Let me know if I have gotten it wrong or if there are any flaws in my assumptions!)

Edit: I went back and checked to see how much we got in 2005, when the MCG was still at 92,000 capacity and both competing clubs were from interstate.

The competing clubs got 23,101 tickets (9,103 to Sydney and 13,998 to West Coast). So my assumptions are probably not too far off.

If you read the letter you get whatever category they assign to you. So you could get the $390 Platinum all the way down to the $176.50 standing room (although you can state you don't want to accept any standing room tickets in which case you will miss out)
When was the letter sent out? Was it that little pamphlet thing?

So my boss reviled that we have a "event" tickets package

Not sure what exact package we got but it comes with guaranteed grand final tickets.

So a question can if I enter the ballet under my membership and am successful can I give/trade my ticket to someone else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back