Grand Final tickets by ballot

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Just read the letter the eagles have sent out to members announcing that gf tickets are all by ballot.

05 we had to line up outside subi after the prelim. It wasn't the best way of doing things.
06 we were able to phone up and book. First in first served. Seemed to work pretty well.

Now we have to pay $5 before the prelim for each seat we want, and we don't get anything back if we don't make it or your ballot isn't succesful. Just seems like another money grab from the AFL / WCE.

Throws up more problems... Before if you got a ticket you really, really wanted to go and pretty much wouldn't have wasted your time if you were not going to go. Now even if you don't want to go you can easily apply for the ballot. If you get a ticket "PROFIT", scalp it off to anyone, while a member who is dying to go will miss out.

Pretty much think its a crap system, will be letting the club know im not too happy about it.

Yes, very disappointing. A lot more people that are intending on going will apply and then that's really not fair. I bet some will sell for profit. If they were going to do this system then make it a non-refundable amount, that's higher, like $50 or $100.

I'm just happy to know that they haven't yet had the ballot day yet because I assumed it would be week one of the finals. There may now be a chance for me to have my membership dodgily upgraded to a full-season one through a contact I have in Victorian member services. Fingers crossed that it works but more importantly fingers crossed that we make the Grand Final which I will happily watch from anywhere.

Its illegal to sell them for profit, so dob the scum in.

Ballots at geelong are registered for when you make the prelim, then credit cards start getting charged on the sunday nite before the gf, if you win the prelim.

Fwiw, not all members would register, we had a 3:1 chance with the allocation.

Its as fair as you can get.

Good luck!

I think it's more fair that people who are really keen on it will either queue up or be on the phone trying to get through. You needed to be *active* to get the tickets. Whereas here you register in your own time and you're randomly selected.

The "all in, all out" is interesting. Will I register both my tickets (by "my", I mean my family member) as singles, that gives me 2 "entries" in this random allocation.

Wont stress too much because I don't think this year is our year, but I really hope they reconsider for next year and beyond :(

All in all out is also a bit of a worry. Would a family of 4 be better off registering 2 X 2 and hoping to at least get 1 succesful bid. If thats the case, sorry kids your staying home. If they are both succesful then the family would be split up over the ground.

I think it's more fair that people who are really keen on it will either queue up or be on the phone trying to get through. You needed to be *active* to get the tickets. Whereas here you register in your own time and you're randomly selected.

The "all in, all out" is interesting. Will I register both my tickets (by "my", I mean my family member) as singles, that gives me 2 "entries" in this random allocation.

Wont stress too much because I don't think this year is our year, but I really hope they reconsider for next year and beyond :(

So your way is not really fair for the elderly or the busy people.

Ive been through this stress 3 times.

Missed out in 07 and 08 when 4 of us did 2v2, then got tix in 09 as a group of 4. Some people got tix all 3 years, some never did. It was completely random.

Cats have a seperate membership option that was called "september member" which cost 170 and guaranteed a gf ticket, but if we didnt make the gf, it got you nothing. Maybe wce need something like that.

But trust me, after 3 years of emotional debate on the cats board, we all agreed it was the fairest way. Those that missed out that HAD to go managed to pick up tix for less than 900 from legal scalpers.

Dont forget, if someone tries to on sell these tix for a profit, they face criminal charges, so dob them in!

So your way is not really fair for the elderly or the busy people.

Ive been through this stress 3 times.

Missed out in 07 and 08 when 4 of us did 2v2, then got tix in 09 as a group of 4. Some people got tix all 3 years, some never did. It was completely random.

Cats have a seperate membership option that was called "september member" which cost 170 and guaranteed a gf ticket, but if we didnt make the gf, it got you nothing. Maybe wce need something like that.

But trust me, after 3 years of emotional debate on the cats board, we all agreed it was the fairest way. Those that missed out that HAD to go managed to pick up tix for less than 900 from legal scalpers.

Dont forget, if someone tries to on sell these tix for a profit, they face criminal charges, so dob them in!
It's very different for west Coast, as a lot of people will eneter the ballot with no firm intentions to come to Melbourne, which means you'll have a whole bunch of tickets ripe for scalping.

I loved that $5 ballot system, guaranteed ticket, no lining up or logging on to frustrating low servers, just pay your money and forget about it.

Small price to pay really.

I loved that $5 ballot system, guaranteed ticket, no lining up or logging on to frustrating low servers, just pay your money and forget about it.

Small price to pay really.

Only it's not a guaranteed ticket unless you are a noteholder (priority one pool).

If more people put in than tickets issued, it is a randomized draw to see who gets tickets...pretty rough on people who have to book airfares and accomodation to plan for this.

It also puts everyone who are season members, beyond the border members, rookie eagles, silver AFL members with WCE club support in together in the same random pool draw, and length of membership is not taken into account.

So if you really are intent on going, you need to secure your airfare and accomodation first, and then hope to bloody hell you get drawn out of the ballot for tickets. AND have a ticket back up plan if you don't get drawn out - buy a package (lots of $$$$) or scalper (scum they are) on the day. For West Aussies to come over and support our team, it is really an expensive week that hangs on the whim of a computer randomized draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a noteholder it has pretty much no effect on me, as I'm guaranteed a ticket either way, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a normal member.

The tickets should go to whoever wants them most. If you're prepared to line up overnight you should get priority over someone whose happy to just try their luck and head over if they randomly draw one.

Being a noteholder it has pretty much no effect on me, as I'm guaranteed a ticket either way, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a normal member.

The tickets should go to whoever wants them most. If you're prepared to line up overnight you should get priority over someone whose happy to just try their luck and head over if they randomly draw one.

Yerp.
I'm a 20 year member and hubby is 25 year member ... we camped overnight and lined up for all our GF tix every time. Lets just say, the idea of someone who joined up this year jagging GF tix over people like us (who have been in thick and thin since we were young and silly) is a *bit* infuriating. If they are passionate about it and line up like all of us, not a problem, but swanning in on a ballot AARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

if i dont get a ticket in the ballot ill be there! but for them to make is random shits me. the dieheards queue and get a ticket. i like that respect that and if they get a ticket and sell it at a profit good on em,( theve probly lost a few days on work from queueing) its just another way for ticketek and the afl to make some easy money. if 20,000 register, thats 100,000 of east money for ticket/afl for nothing if we dont make it.

This ballot system is a freaking joke. I did absolutely everything in my power to get tickets in 2005 and 2006

I mean 2005 I was in Mount Gambier with no freaking internet or credit card when we won the preliminary and I was up all night to find out how the hell I would get tickets

2006 - the pre-registration system was perfect, I got off of school early: dialled the number 10 mins early and constantly redialled non-stop until I got a result

The ballot is an absolute joke for any supporter, first in best dressed is the fairest system for anybody who makes the cut and it is half the fun in buying your tickets. The fact that scalping has been made illegal is a joke as well. I would happily sell on my tickets to a stranger at maybe $50 extra if I suddenly had an emergency that prevented me from going and I am sure many people would choose to sell them for less than $1300...

Typical sandgropers whinging about anything thats equal and fair for all.

Carry on.

You have to realise how much more effort it takes for us to get to the game. By the time most people find out if they've got tickets, a return airfare will be well over $1500.

By making people compete with tickets you know they are going to people who really want them. This ballot system will just result in everyone entering just incase they feel like going at a later date. Everyone knows they won't have any trouble on-selling their tickets (most likely at a premium) if/when they decide not to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back