Grand Final to played in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
That's baffling. I've actually long defended that the MCG is the right place for the AFL GF for a number of reasons, some of which can't be changed for many years anyway.

But what is going on here? Eagles aren't even in the women's comp and I've got no love for Freo but this is a joke. So if the first women's GF is Fremantle v Adelaide (or any combination involving Brisbane or GWS) we get a Melbourne GF? Great showcase for the competition's first season.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's baffling. I've actually long defended that the MCG is the right place for the AFL GF for a number of reasons, some of which can't be changed for many years anyway.

But what is going on here? Eagles aren't even in the women's comp and I've got no love for Freo but this is a joke. So if the first women's GF is Fremantle v Adelaide (or any combination involving Brisbane or GWS) we get a Melbourne GF? Great showcase for the competition's first season.

By the way, the Eagles should have been in the competition. An Eagle team would have been easier better than an Adelaide or GWS team.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Just like the men's competition, The Melbourne clubs led the charge and kickstarted the national competition. A majority of the players will be from Victoria, just like the majority of clubs. You also have the same problem with ground availability in the other states as you do with finals/Grand finals - hiring out the Adelaide oval, Subiaco, Gabba, Spotless wouldn't be cheap.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just like the men's competition, The Melbourne clubs led the charge and kickstarted the national competition. A majority of the players will be from Victoria, just like the majority of clubs. You also have the same problem with ground availability in the other states as you do with finals/Grand finals - hiring out the Adelaide oval, Subiaco, Gabba, Spotless wouldn't be cheap.

You could easier have the final at one of the WAFL or SANFL clubs home grounds. Isn't Spotless owned by the AFL? Only Brisbane I am not sure of but somebody from here, could let us know.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope we get the parade down Swanston St. the day before for the two AFLW Grand Finalists, Friday March 24th. Believe me, it'll be uuuuuuuuuge!!!

Will Samantha Lane host the AFLW Grand Final Marathon that night on Channel 7?
Marathon of the best AFLW games on tape from the season.

Game should be at the MCG at 2:30pm... ticket gets you into seeing Essendon v Hawthorn later that night.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

The AFL led the charge when they commissioned a report in 2010 into the state of women's football and they decided to run with the model of an elite competition based around existing AFL clubs. Western Bulldogs and Melbourne were chosen for some exhibition games, but Fremantle and West Coast had also been doing plenty of work supporting a strong women's scene in WA that had been going since the 80's.

To now claim Victorian clubs kickstarted the women's competition....come on. Several clubs from multiple states were early adopters and did a power of work to be where they are today. This was a national competition for women, set up by the AFL and there is zero reason for it to be Victoria centric.

Regarding ground availability, last I heard ground such as Visy, Whitten Oval, the Holden Centre were likely to be scheduled for the stand alone women's games over here. I've been to those grounds and several WAFL grounds stack up perfectly well and Freo's new training base ground would match The Holden Centre.

Ask the players. IMO they would be as the men - the vast majority wanting it to be played in Melbourne. It will be a big enough event - nationally televised with their own version of the parade etc.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Why doesnt season start later and have womens grand final as lead in to VFL gf
Maybe twighlight stand alone game under the roof

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at the fixtures the Grand Final will be at Docklands at 2 pm on the 25th of March as a double header with Melbourne and Saint Kilda.

If the game was at the MCG, then people may argue for tradition but at Docklands that is total BS.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why doesnt season start later and have womens grand final as lead in to VFL gf
Maybe twighlight stand alone game under the roof
Because women's state leagues are in operation at that time. The idea of an early season was so once the AFLW season wrapped up, the players could go back to their home clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back