Autopsy Grand Final 2016 - all discussion in here and nowhere else

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to intrude, but I just want to state that when the final siren sounded on Saturday, that a large number of Swans' fans in the bay beside me (high up in the Olympic stand) stood up and clapped our supporters in our bay for our victory and our support of the club.

It was very classy in the circumstances and something that will always be a vivid in my memory of that day. :thumbsu:

I don't want to rain on your parade and my congratulations Sir, but did they also clap the umpires for the outstanding support offered to your club ?

The thing that shits me is we were basically luck and knifes edge from winning but you lose and the flogs go with tippett is a waste of space (maybe :p) and even buddy ruining the swans ...

Agreed. And from that point every time they kicked a point we went straight up the guts. I knew then that we must have doubted our ability to kick a score from normal play.

But the papley kick was again a function of not going with the first option and then just going up the line. He had free players on but didn't release it straight away.

Does anyone feel that after the overturn of the Johannisen goal in the last quarter, we panicked with 2 kick ins (both I think were Rampe) that went straight down the middle that came straight back into our defensive 50.

The game clock had just ticked into time on, and watching on the replay there was still 6 minutes left in the game to make up a deficit of 8 points. Having recorded every single kick in by the Swans this season up until the GF, I can tell you going down the middle is a very, very rare occurrence and only undertaken when we need to score points in a hurry.

While I didn't quite make the same point I did feel it was a decision based on panic. They were finding Boyd unbeatable on one side and Morris and Roughead on the other. I understood why they did it but our best moments were in the air not when it hit the ground. Kicking it long down the middle is almost always a contest on the ground

Just re-watched it. I think a lot of people are over reacting at how bad Rohan's performance was. He wasn't great, but don't think he was one of the worst. Tippett wasn't great, really struggled to get into the game but he made a contest, but unfortunately we need a lot more than just a contest if we're paying that much money for him. Players on that price tag should be kicking at least three in a Grand Final and dominating the ruck aspect as well. McGlynn wasn't at his best either, did a few good things but was virtually non-existent for the duration of the match. Thought Jack was up there with the best except for those two goals he sprayed in the first quarter. Captains should be kicking those goals. Speaking of captains, we needed much more from McVeigh. Didn't do a lot wrong, but he was very quiet and didn't lead as he should. As for Josh Kennedy, farken brilliant. Should take Jack and McVeigh's spot as captain next year for sure, but I doubt this will happen. Good learning experience for players like Papley, Richards and Hewett who all didn't have the best games. Hewett was ok, Richards and Papley were very shaky.

Just re-watched it. I think a lot of people are over reacting at how bad Rohan's performance was. He wasn't great, but don't think he was one of the worst. Tippett wasn't great, really struggled to get into the game but he made a contest, but unfortunately we need a lot more than just a contest if we're paying that much money for him. Players on that price tag should be kicking at least three in a Grand Final and dominating the ruck aspect as well. McGlynn wasn't at his best either, did a few good things but was virtually non-existent for the duration of the match. Thought Jack was up there with the best except for those two goals he sprayed in the first quarter. Captains should be kicking those goals. Speaking of captains, we needed much more from McVeigh. Didn't do a lot wrong, but he was very quiet and didn't lead as he should. As for Josh Kennedy, farken brilliant. Should take Jack and McVeigh's spot as captain next year for sure, but I doubt this will happen. Good learning experience for players like Papley, Richards and Hewett who all didn't have the best games. Hewett was ok, Richards and Papley were very shaky.
WTFAU, Port Adelaide ? Jack with the best , 1 possie between him and the pointer sister.

Reckon we start a countdown timer on this thread of 7 days from now so eveyone gets their opportunity to get the last of their anger out before we look to trade weeks and 2017. What do you reckon mods?
In 7 days the trade week will be well underway ;)

But yes I will look at wrapping this thread up

On one hand

we lost to a bunch of victard flogs, on the other hand

at least we lost to the least floggy of the victard flogs.
Dees are alright, plenty of great ex-Swans in their setup and they knocked off Hawthorn and cost them top two which I'm a fan of.

I like them more than the Dogs who are now showing plenty of arrogance for a club who's historically had such little success (they just won a flag though so they can handle it however they like)

Spot on about the rest of them though...
Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, North, St Kilda, Geelong & Hawthorn; yuck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 7 days the trade week will be well underway ;)

But yes I will look at wrapping this thread up

There's no new game thread pending for 6 months. Let it run a while I say.

Surely we can have more than one active thread at a time?

The Gf wasn't even a week ago. May as well shut down the board altogether and talk cricket then?

Reckon we start a countdown timer on this thread of 7 days from now so eveyone gets their opportunity to get the last of their anger out before we look to trade weeks and 2017. What do you reckon mods?
Why close , when people want to talk about it still. That's ok , close it and we can start a new one !

Just re-watched it.

Same. Able to watch it with less emotion and no-one gave up, everyone had a crack. Seven and a half minutes to go we were a point down. From then on they were just better than us, with us making a few mistakes and the WB capitalising on them.

The younger players should learn plenty from this. Hewitt 21 in Dec, kicked a great goal under extreme pressure which will help him in the future as he knows he can do it on the big stage. Papley 20, tried his arse off and will only get better. Naismith was huge in the ruck, especially early. Mills and Heeney speak for themselves. Jones 21, is a tough nut and plays without fear. Richards will only get better with more game time and confidence. Lloyd and Allir are only 23 and 22 respectively and play beyond their years. Parker turns 24 later this year. Hope Mitchell stays. Throw in Nankervis 22, Rose 20, BJ 22, Dawson 19, Robinson 22, Cunningham 22, Marsh 22, Foote 20 and others plus trades.

The future looks great with these younger players and they get to learn their trade from an elite group of middle to late 20 somethings. This club won't lay down, that is 100% for sure.

The younger players should learn plenty from this. Hewitt 21 in Dec, kicked a great goal under extreme pressure which will help him in the future as he knows he can do it on the big stage. Papley 20, tried his arse off and will only get better. Naismith was huge in the ruck, especially early. Mills and Heeney speak for themselves. Jones 21, is a tough nut and plays without fear. Richards will only get better with more game time and confidence. Lloyd and Allir are only 23 and 22 respectively and play beyond their years. Parker turns 24 later this year. Hope Mitchell stays. Throw in Nankervis 22, Rose 20, BJ 22, Dawson 19, Robinson 22, Cunningham 22, Marsh 22, Foote 20 and others plus trades.

The future looks great with these younger players and they get to learn their trade from an elite group of middle to late 20 somethings. This club won't lay down, that is 100% for sure.
Good post SK. The Bulldogs' side was significantly younger and less experienced, what would you say is our comparative advantage going forward?

Good post SK. The Bulldogs' side was significantly younger and less experienced, what would you say is our comparative advantage going forward?
That we have a lot if improvement left in us, anything that could go wrong did on gf day and we lost by 20 points. I for one think that we'll contend again next year.

At the start of the seasin did anyone think we'd finish above the bulldogs this year?

That we have a lot if improvement left in us, anything that could go wrong did on gf day and we lost by 20 points. I for one think that we'll contend again next year.

At the start of the seasin did anyone think we'd finish above the bulldogs this year?

surely everyone thought it ?

Without knowing the figures for the WB (I will look them up) the first question that comes to mind is will they be able to keep all of their younger blokes?

I don't know if our younger players are better than theirs but I do know that our core group are proven performers that have enabled us to challenge for the past few years. Although the WB won the flag, it is yet to be seen if they can back it up.

IMO what sets us up well for the next 1-4 years is our core group of stars are still in the age bracket to perform to a consistently high level which has been proven over the last few years. The younger blokes come into the side and develop with less pressure and can perform lesser roles because we already have the key players.

I might be over confident but I see our future being as bright as theirs, and although we haven't won the ultimate in the last 4 years we have always been a challenger. This time last year I was less confident in our youth than I am now.

And I probably haven't answered your question well enough but I don't see any reason why we won't challenge again.

Not directed at me, but I think there are two replies to this.

1) Our comparative advantage is probably a better top end of mature players. JPK, Franklin, Grundy, etc.
2) It is possible for us and the Bulldogs to be good simultaneously. Our younger guys can improve, the Bulldogs' young side can improve, and we would continue to be fairly evenly matched. Which isn't a disaster.
I don't expect us to be a much better team than the Dogs.

Last edited:
Not directed at me, but I think there are two replies to this.

1) Our comparative advantage is probably a better top end of mature players. JPK, Franklin, Grundy, etc.
2) It is possible for us and the Bulldogs to be good simultaneously. Our younger guys can improve, the Bulldogs' young side can improve, and we would continue to be fairly evenly matched. Which isn't a disaster.
I don't expect us to be a much better team than the Dogs.

our elders, Bob, Boyd and Morris are all well into their 30s and '17 will be their last year.

next tier is: Picken, Wood, Dickson, Suckling, Cloke(?), Crameri... would you include roughead in this group (25yo)? ... 25-30yo bracket.

everyone else is in the 19-24yo bracket, give or take a player I might have forgotten, and most of those closer to 20-22 than 24. We have a very large lump of talent in the 20-22 range.

surely everyone thought it ?
Nope. I saw a photo on twitter before GF day of experts' pre-season predictions and more experts had us missing the eight than the Bullies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back