Autopsy Grand Final 2016 - all discussion in here and nowhere else

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
our elders, Bob, Boyd and Morris are all well into their 30s and '17 will be their last year.

next tier is: Picken, Wood, Dickson, Suckling, Cloke(?), Crameri... would you include roughead in this group (25yo)? ... 25-30yo bracket.

everyone else is in the 19-24yo bracket, give or take a player I might have forgotten, and most of those closer to 20/21 than 24.

Yes - this is basically my point? The mid-aged players (25-30, traditionally the strongest performers) aren't as strong as the Swans. It's a potential advantage for the Swans, at least in 2017. The Dogs' victory was unprecedented in a lot of ways.

I'm not rubbishing the Dogs' list. Far from it.

Genuinely had no idea why people thought we would miss the 8. I had us pegged as 3-8

Maybe as ever the experts are besotted with youf and draft picks not recognising that it is often the experienced players that stand up.

I've just watched the last quarter up until they blow us away. Mentally preparing myself for the last 7 minutes.

But the players threw everything at that. Absolutely everything. Parker clearly can't run properly but is still throwing himself in everything. Even Gary Rohan is going hell for leather, even if it's not working for him.

Smith has a couple of awful kicks. Likewise Papley. Tippett just looks completely off the pace.

But they had a crack.

Heeney just huge. Jones likewise. And Papley is everywhere, forward and back If he could kick/not burn Kennedy, it would've been some quarter.

Last edited:

Agree mate. That's why I couldn't understand when Longmire said we didn't work hard enough and that's the main reason we lost

Maybe he's referring to himself and letting half injured players start.

Agree mate. That's why I couldn't understand when Longmire said we didn't work hard enough and that's the main reason we lost

One thing that's noticeable is there's far too much standing still when we're taking a set kick. No leading, or, just as significant, getting out of the damn way and forcing a defender with them.

But the defensive/contested stuff is as manic as I've seen. Even 0-touch McVeigh.

One thing that's noticeable is there's far too much standing still when we're taking a set kick. No leading, or, just as significant, getting out of the damn way and forcing a defender with them.

Yes, this is what I assumed Horse meant by saying we didn't work hard enough, we certainly didn't lose due to a lack of pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just watched the last quarter up until they blow us away. Mentally preparing myself for the last 7 minutes.

But the players threw everything at that. Absolutely everything. Parker clearly can't run properly but is still throwing himself in everything. Even Gary Rohan is going hell for leather, even if it's not working for him.

Smith has a couple of awful kicks. Likewise Papley. Tippett just looks completely off the pace.

But they had a crack.

Heeney just huge. Jones likewise. And Papley is everywhere, forward and back If he could kick/not burn Kennedy, it would've been some quarter.

Glad you mentioned Papley because he was one in particular who stood out in the final quarter who was absolutely ferocious in trying to get us back into it. His attack at the ball and man was fantastic. Burned Kennedy badly though and that will stick with him I imagine.

Incidentally I've never seen JPK roast anyone like that and I've never seen Kennedy as emotional in the course of a game or immediately after a game - he gave absolutely everything he had.

Limp in my ******* arse, a bit of fair umpiring and 100% we'd all be here congratulating the club on an unprecedented flag.

Yep even just one quarter of fair umpiring

Few have mentioned that we "limped" into a GF but that seems to be the case since 2012? how can we stop limping into finals?
We had 40 of the 45 players on our list available for the Grand Final. Only one of the missing 5 had played more than 1 senior game all year, so unavailable players are absolutely zero excuse.

And as for the inevitable "but players were carrying injuries" follow-up:

1) players from every team are carrying injuries in finals
2) if we had depth (which we would have, with 40 players available) then we could have picked fitter ones

Jake Niall: "They had a profile of a team that you wouldn't see in a grand final normally."

swansfan51 I think people are reading your List Management 101 thread!

Just finished watching the game again. I will say most of the free kicks were there but the dogs did get a few cheap frees, especially the free to Clay Smith that was disgusting. Your forward line sucked though. Heath Grundy should have won the Norm Smith! His game was epic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back