grand finals are going to be night from now on

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you imagine when the GF switches back to the G and is played at night.Crowds of people crowding into Punt Rd etc around lunchtime,getting blind and flooding into the ground.WOW!! entertainment?? Er...was there entertainment? By the time people had toilet breaks,grabbed a bite to eat,topped up drinks and discussed the half it was time to get back into it.Footy followers generally want to watch footy;we couldnt give a toss about the half time entertainment.I dont want to wait around all day and i couldnt give a rats arse what every other sport does.Our game is unique and if our time slot is as well then so be it! Eff off Mr TV man,eff off Mr Advertising man,eff off Mr Money man.I guess i support a day GF!

My opinion as well. People will organise to meet in the city or Richmond during the afternoon and be half-tanked before they get there.

Listening to Caro and Waleed prattle on about the negatives of a night GF tells you all you need to know about the future of a night GF away from the MCG. Poor old Caro missed out on sitting in the MCC or whatever insane privilege she has to endure to watch her beloved tigers. It's the melb/vic mindset of the AFL that will forever hold it back. I couldn't care less about venue and/or time slot. If it's about the dollars than sure, do what you got to do. But when the Caroline Wilsons of this world are calling it a 'disgrace' if the GF isn't immediately returned to MCG you know where it all sits. As for Waleed, i still picture him on Q&A when Christopher Hitchens owned his ass and made him look like a frightened school boy. Semi rant over.

Listening to Caro and Waleed prattle on about the negatives of a night GF tells you all you need to know about the future of a night GF away from the MCG. Poor old Caro missed out on sitting in the MCC or whatever insane privilege she has to endure to watch her beloved tigers. It's the melb/vic mindset of the AFL that will forever hold it back. I couldn't care less about venue and/or time slot. If it's about the dollars than sure, do what you got to do. But when the Caroline Wilsons of this world are calling it a 'disgrace' if the GF isn't immediately returned to MCG you know where it all sits. As for Waleed, i still picture him on Q&A when Christopher Hitchens owned his ass and made him look like a frightened school boy. Semi rant over.
you sound like the kind of person who cares about the money at the expense of all else

My opinion as well. People will organise to meet in the city or Richmond during the afternoon and be half-tanked before they get there.

"Half-tanked"?

I reckon most would be fully tanked. Ever been to the Cricketers Arms at the tea break of a one-day-international? Or the London Tavern at lunch of a test match?

It also impacts celebrations. You want to have a sensible time to start celebrations for those not at the match. Imagine 50,000 Richmond fans descending on Swan Street at midnight.

Do you think there would have been streakers at the Gabba if it was 2pm?

Think about the ratio of people watching per TV.

Lockdown in Vic = no gatherings. Usually it's 15 people watching 1 screen, and in pubs you'd have a couple hundred per.

This year the ratio would have been 2-3 people per TV in Vic.

Common sense. Send it back to the day time. Stop trying to change everything AFL.

Can you imagine when the GF switches back to the G and is played at night.Crowds of people crowding into Punt Rd etc around lunchtime,getting blind and flooding into the ground.WOW!! entertainment?? Er...was there entertainment? By the time people had toilet breaks,grabbed a bite to eat,topped up drinks and discussed the half it was time to get back into it.Footy followers generally want to watch footy;we couldnt give a toss about the half time entertainment.I dont want to wait around all day and i couldnt give a rats arse what every other sport does.Our game is unique and if our time slot is as well then so be it! Eff off Mr TV man,eff off Mr Advertising man,eff off Mr Money man.I guess i support a day GF!
Could you imagine Punt Rd after a night GF. By 1am it would probably be an absolute mess

"Half-tanked"?

I reckon most would be fully tanked. Ever been to the Cricketers Arms at the tea break of a one-day-international? Or the London Tavern at lunch of a test match?

It also impacts celebrations. You want to have a sensible time to start celebrations for those not at the match. Imagine 50,000 Richmond fans descending on Swan Street at midnight.

Do you think there would have been streakers at the Gabba if it was 2pm?

Yes- fully tanked may be a better description. I know Gil and the AFL will look at ratings and advertising but they also do have to take in the practicalities and knock-on effects of this.

I thought it was a rubbish spectacle compared to the usual time slot.

But then again that could have just been the Gabba as opposed to the MCG.

As Richmond secured an unforgettable 31-point win over Geelong in the 2020 AFL grand final, Seven’s coverage reached 7.5 million people across Australia, while its average national audience of 3.812 million was 30 per cent up year on year and the biggest grand final audience since 2016.
On a night when Dustin Martin became the first player to win three Norm Smith Medals, Seven recorded an average metro audience of 2.979 million, a whopping 36 per cent up year on year. It was also the biggest metro primetime audience on any network since Seven’s coverage of the 2017 Australian Open men’s final.
Seven also recorded a 76 per cent metro commercial share, the biggest ever recorded.

etc

given this i cant see it not happening

discuss:

you understand that the heartland of footy was in lockdown with restrictions so of course the TV numbers were always going to be higher - more people at home to watch it...

you understand that the heartland of footy was in lockdown with restrictions so of course the TV numbers were always going to be higher - more people at home to watch it...
i dont want a night gf mate

im just reporting whats being said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lockdown in Vic = no gatherings. Usually it's 15 people watching 1 screen, and in pubs you'd have a couple hundred per.

Common sense. Send it back to the day time. Stop trying to change everything AFL.
And before all that, there’s normally an extra 70k at the ground and probably around 40k between each club’s live site and the Yarra park/fed square ones - not sure what the other states had this year compared to normal.

you do know that there arent little men with clipboards peeking under your door checking what channel you are watching right?

If you were really positive, you would have said "We won the last day and first night GF" which is pretty cool.

...and if anyone wants to be really particular, Richmond Football Club won the very last VFL grand final before the name change to AFL in 1990.

...and if anyone wants to be really particular, Richmond Football Club won the very last VFL grand final before the name change to AFL in 1990.
Hawkthorn won the 1989 grand final (the last VFL grand final before the AFL name was introduced).

Too much waiting around for the game. Day game far better.
you wait more for a 2pm game cos there is nothing you can do in the morning before you have to get ready and head to ground around midday.

a night game was far better. I had my own grand final barbecue and then headed to the game around 4pm. Way better.

Last edited:
Hawkthorn won the 1989 grand final (the last VFL grand final before the AFL name was introduced).

In 1989, there was still Seniors, Reserves and U/19s. Richmond v Geelong played a draw in the U/19s and as there was no extra time in those days that game was replayed and as a result, the VFL U/19 Grand Final for that season was played a week after the Snrs and Reserves. it was played at Waverley and Richmond defeated North Melbounre on 07 October 1989.

1603690037803.png

Some legendary league and country goal kickers in that historical list. For some reason I thought Stephen McCann was older than that.

I wonder if the goalkickers and Morrish Medal winner of '80 is a typo. P.Lane Richmond wins the goalkicking with 110 and P.Lane Essendon wins the Morrish Medal. The goalkicking Lane, Peter it was from memory kicked the ton, so too did Mark Jacko Jackson in the Magoos and Disco Roach in the seniors, all Tigers. Just googled Morrish Medal winners and Peter Lane of Essendon won it in 1980.

1603690273696.png

you sound like the kind of person who cares about the money at the expense of all else

yeah nah. Just really like to see it moved around and open to different time slots. It ain't gonna happen with the likes of Eddie, Caro and the vics running the show (what is it 40 year contract @ the MCG? please). It's AFL not VFL. Love to see it at optus in WA and adelaide oval in SA. Get with the program a bit. The money thing? That's the no.1 driver as we all know so it ain't moving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back