In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world

Ah, all the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

It's a rich man's world.

Wait until next year when the police complain because 60k of the grand final crowd turn up to the game smashed, fights break out, some get kicked out and some can’t even get in. It won’t be pretty having a night GF in Melbourne. People will still start drinking at 10am and it will end up a nightmare for the AFL.

you wait more for a 2pm game cos there is nothing you can do in the morning before you have to get ready and head to ground around midday.

a night game was far better. I had my own grand final barbecue and then headed to the game around 4pm. Way better.
You’re always the one fish swimming in the other direction to everyone else.

I was huge for Night GF till that happened.... didn't at all feel like a GF. Didn't bother tuning in till the bounce either.

I'll give it a chance next year if at the G under some level of normality.

Though I'd lean Twilight initially.... finished too late IMO.

night GF sucks, didnt feel 'special'
nothing beats a (hopefully)sunny saturday arvo, it just feels right
as someone who was actually at the grand final i believe it felt more special then a normal mcg grand final.

the build up and entertainment was far better then what we get during the day Grand finals. The only downside was there was less time to celebrate post game. Twilight final is therefore the way to go.

i think i would be disapointed if it went back to a saturday afternoon. And before this weekend i was someone who thought it should stay the same. But after experiencing it I dont think we should go back.

the people who were with me at the game all agreed. That was the only time pre game entertainment had added to the experience.

the thing that sucked, other than losing, was those bloody giant chemist warehouse showbags under everyones seats. Full of rubbish like suncream (for a night game), empty water bottles and chemist products and and a flat undersized football. With all the rain coats, bags and beers these showbags made sitting at the football feel as uncomfortable as a long haul flight to europe in economy class. Crap was just evverywhere Under your feet. People were kicking beers over and spilling it everywhere. Just a disaster.

Last edited:
You’re always the one fish swimming in the other direction to everyone else.
I was also one of the few that was there and also been to many day grand finals. the day just worked better and the entertainment pre game pumped me more up for the game. The crowd actually got into it for a change. Usually its just time wasting cringe worthy. The half time entertainment was also a needed distraction for those at the game.

as someone who was actually at the grand final i believe it felt more special then a normal mcg grand final.

the build up and entertainment was far better then what we get during the day Grand finals. The only downside was there was less time to celebrate post game. Twilight final is therefore the way to go.

i think i would be disapointed if it went back to a saturday afternoon. And before this weekend i was someone who thought it should stay the same. But after experiencing it I dont think we should go back.

the people who were with me at the game all agreed. That was the only time pre game entertainment had added to the experience.

the thing that sucked, other than losing, was those bloody giant chemist warehouse showbags under everyones seats. Full of rubbish like suncream (for a night game), empty water bottles and chemist products and and a flat undersized football. With all the rain coats, bags and beers these showbags made sitting at the football feel as uncomfortable as a long haul flight to europe in economy class. Crap was just evverywhere Under your feet. People were kicking beers over and spilling it everywhere. Just a disaster.
hmmm, interesting to hear that your mind changed on the subject after going to the game.

I guess on TV it just didnt look as special imo.

I wouldnt be so opposed to a twilight GF. I just love seeing the pre game build up and bounce down happen under sunlight.

this is the biggest one for me. last yera i was able to go to the pub with the family for a few hours and just have a casual drink, food and chat . with a nighttime grand final thats impossible, the only people who can celebrate afterwards are the guys who want to be at the pub till 3am. and no, im not some homebody loser who never goes out, ive been out that late plenty and still would if the occasion was there. but my 60 year old dad sure as hell wouldnt be.

theres a legitimate argument that the vic economy generally will lose a lot of money after the game because of the huge amount of people who will no longer be going out to buy a few drinks or a snack afterwards. and no that wont be replaced by people having dinner beforehand, because who has dinner at 5:30? but i guess the afl would be happy with everyone having to buy their overpriced dogshit food and expensive junk beer.

Totally agree.
I was in the don't change it camp as well. You had to be there to experience it, the TV coverage didn't do any of it justice.
The smallish GABBA crowd was absolutely pumping and very loud for the start.

this is the biggest one for me. last yera i was able to go to the pub with the family for a few hours and just have a casual drink, food and chat . with a nighttime grand final thats impossible, the only people who can celebrate afterwards are the guys who want to be at the pub till 3am. and no, im not some homebody loser who never goes out, ive been out that late plenty and still would if the occasion was there. but my 60 year old dad sure as hell wouldnt be.

theres a legitimate argument that the vic economy generally will lose a lot of money after the game because of the huge amount of people who will no longer be going out to buy a few drinks or a snack afterwards. and no that wont be replaced by people having dinner beforehand, because who has dinner at 5:30? but i guess the afl would be happy with everyone having to buy their overpriced dogshit food and expensive junk beer.
I was out to 3am and i wanted to be out longer when the pubs closed. game needs to start earlier.

4:30p. - 5.00pm would be a good time to start. Can still do the light/fireworks show during half time when its dark but people can still enjoy a long night out. This was also the philosophy of my wedding which i also started at 5pm for the same reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer a day game but as I was watching the game I thought to myself 'It's better then I thought it would be' and having a packed MCG with a decent atmosphere would make it even better.

I think people need to come to terms that in the next few seasons we will be watching the last ever day grand final.

It's a sad thought but thats life.

I was out to 3am and i wanted to be out longer when the pubs closed. game needs to start earlier.

4:30p. - 5.00pm would be a good time to start. Can still do the light/fireworks show during half time when its dark but people can still enjoy a long night out. This was also the philosophy of my wedding which i also started at 5pm for the same reasons.
i could live with that timeslot, aiming to finish the ceremony around 8:30 max. still makes dinner a shitshow though. add $40 per head and miss out on probably 10 minutes of the second half if youre at the game. sitll well prefer day though.

i could live with that timeslot, aiming to finish the ceremony around 8:30 max. still makes dinner a shitshow though. add $40 per head and miss out on probably 10 minutes of the second half if youre at the game. sitll well prefer day though.
It does make dinner a s**t show. But lunch is often a shitshow for an afternoon game as you need to be heading off to the game before lunch. Now just have a big barbecue lunch instead.

As Richmond secured an unforgettable 31-point win over Geelong in the 2020 AFL grand final, Seven’s coverage reached 7.5 million people across Australia, while its average national audience of 3.812 million was 30 per cent up year on year and the biggest grand final audience since 2016.
On a night when Dustin Martin became the first player to win three Norm Smith Medals, Seven recorded an average metro audience of 2.979 million, a whopping 36 per cent up year on year. It was also the biggest metro primetime audience on any network since Seven’s coverage of the 2017 Australian Open men’s final.
Seven also recorded a 76 per cent metro commercial share, the biggest ever recorded.

etc

given this i cant see it not happening

discuss:
No it wont

Waleed Ali nailed it on Offsiders. 'There comes a point with sport where the right decision is not to chase the people who aren't interested but to service the people who really are. You don't have to do that all the time and I understand the need for expansion and growth, but I don't think every decision can be made with those people at the forefront.'

I must say, I was a big advocate for the night GFs prior to this but now that it's done and dusted I'm not so sure.

I found myself just twiddling my thumbs through the day waiting for it to start.

Not sure what the solution is. If they could have a double event somehow that would perhaps give it some life to extend it to an all day festival.

eg. Could the 14 remaining clubs band together and do a state of origin game? It could change every year WA V SA, Vic Metro V Vic Country, Vic V the rest. etc etc. It's hard to get excited for such nothing games though with nothing on the line.

The pregame event could even happen elsewhere and be a moving event hosted in other states?

The alternative would be lineup the 2's grand finals prior to the main game.

But then I'm almost certain there'd be an issue with a game being played on the turf immediately prior to the main event.

Twilight is probably the right solution.

They will go back to the afternoon where they belong. Even had the weekend been played at the MCG at night it would have been pretty on TV but pretty lousy for all day activities which are part of the event for those of us who cannot attend and what are we meant to do when it finishes nearing midnight as far as celebrating after the event. What about the children who will not be allowed to stay up that late to watch it.

Selfish greedy media interests and the AFL putting dollars ahead of supporters. I hope they do not use Covid as an excuse to mess with a 90 year old special event (intro of the Page McIntire system where there was one grand final and not the right of challenge which gave a club a couple of freeby premierships around 1930)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back