Grand Final's held around the nation instead of MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

The early 90s options I disagree. You were happy to send it to Waverly for a 1 off.
By the mid 00s I agree though. But it really is the one fair way while fixing the logistics stuff. (Planning it 2 weeks out is tough. Hotels wouldn't want 60+ rooms taken away just incase they get the GF. Reselling them if they have no GF would be crap. It''s why I think 1 year advance notice is ideal.

Fairness has its appeal, but the issues raised here suggest the alternative is just as likely to be less fair.

Funny how its quoted as an unfair advantage to a vic team (hawthorn) but for thelast three years, the non vic opponeent has been the pundits favourite.

They got it right once of course
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Hawthorn were overwhelming favourites in 2012
Hawthorn were favourite again in 2013
Sydney though were favourites in 2014.

Unless you live in Melbourne you have to pay $3000 to get to see a gf. Not a good promotion of Australia's game. Sydney will host one by 2025 IMO

One thing I have never understood is why the AFL always seems to be in the weaker position when there are negotiations with the MCG. The MCG needs AFL to make money, Cricket does not carry the Ground, AFL does.

When Eddie goes on about Collingwood playing more games at the MCG than anyone else so Non vic clubs can host finals boggles my mind

It is a certainty that at some point in the future the bidding system to host grand Finals will happen. Will it be before the MCG contract runs out? I doubt it but it will happen.
From a personal point of view I love going to Melbourne for a few days for the GF, I love the city and it is always a nice novelty to me when I go. But I am sure others could feel that way going to another state to watch a GF also. It is great for tourism where it is held, great for business where it is held.

Like I said it is not a matter of it it happens one day but more of when it will happen.

I like the A-League system. The highest ranked Grand Finalist at end of regular season will host the GF. More tickets for true supporters this way too.
Would be some exceptions - GWS/Swans > ANZ Stadium, Gold Coast > GABBA

I like the A-League system. The highest ranked Grand Finalist at end of regular season will host the GF. More tickets for true supporters this way too.
Would be some exceptions - GWS/Swans > ANZ Stadium, Gold Coast > GABBA

A league has obvious issues with this, and the home and away has its fairness issues

NO....The M.C.G is the spiritual home & sacred space of AFL football & it's show-piece; The Grand Final.

In the same way in which Australia is the spiritual home of the aborigines.

You don't stage the grand Corroboree outside of sacred space.....You just don't.
Does the rest of the nation not deserve to take part in the sacred final game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking misuse of an apostrophe...

But yes it should be opened up for bidding. MCC and corporates take most seats currently anyway.

Does the rest of the nation not deserve to take part in the sacred final game?

I think he's referring to the fact that the G is next door to where the first ever Australian rules game was ever played

The MGC is as close to a home of Australian Rules as we can get

Shocking misuse of an apostrophe...
unnamed.gif

The AFL wouldn't adopt a model based on the higher ranked Preliminary Final winner as they would get no benefit out of it. A bidding process by state governments and local business would be the only way it would be worthwhile for the AFL. In that case state governments would ideally want a situation where both teams come from outside the state to draw more tourists and money.

The AFL wouldn't adopt a model based on the higher ranked Preliminary Final winner as they would get no benefit out of it. A bidding process by state governments and local business would be the only way it would be worthwhile for the AFL. In that case state governments would ideally want a situation where both teams come from outside the state to draw more tourists and money.
And what better way than a bidding process for the game of the year!

This guy........he gets it.

One thing I have never understood is why the AFL always seems to be in the weaker position when there are negotiations with the MCG. The MCG needs AFL to make money, Cricket does not carry the Ground, AFL does.

When Eddie goes on about Collingwood playing more games at the MCG than anyone else so Non vic clubs can host finals boggles my mind

The was the idea behind Waverley. A completely league owned ground that would end up hosting GFs instead of the 'G. Was gonna be 150k one day too.
State govt. thought differently and ultimately got its way.

Last edited:
I suggested a few years ago, have the grand final in the previous premiers home state.

I've liked this idea too.

GF venue is determined a year in advance, so plenty of time for preparations.

The GF venue is based on what happens on the field in a GF the year before - it's an added sweetener of interest for the corresponding cities involved.

If the reigning premiers make the GF, you got to beat them in their own state to take the flag from them, that is unless you are a cross-town rival which can nullify the advantage and add intrigue to the build up.

If the reigning premiers don't make it, it can add a level of randomness if not neutrality to the decider. A cross town rival could even benefit - Ex. Freo win the GF, fail to make it the next year, but West Coast make it instead.

With 10 out of 18 sides in Victoria, the GF would likely be at the MCG more than half the time anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back