grandstand coaches & fair weather friends

Remove this Banner Ad

InTheBack!

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2000
BrisVegas
At the Gabba - we sit on the wing right up against the Trust area.

We are surrounded by Lions members - although by the armchair coaches behind us you wouldnt know it. Winge winge winge - they play a bit of local footy & then become legends in their own lifetime & continually bag our players & Leigh Matthews. I have had a go at them but they are too dumb to comprehend. I sit with my father in law - himself a ex VFL player & they sit there & lecture us on the finer points of the game!

The other thing I dislike at the Gabba is the number of people for who the Lions are their 2nd team. When their 1st team visits they are ripping into the Lions & next week they are back to normal. Does anyone else find this annoying?

Its just the way it goes for a place like Brisbane ITBack.

There are lots of people who used to follow a old VFL club when they lived down South. Then when they move up to Brisbane, naturally they will take those loyalties with them. However when they arrive up there they also find the Lions are worth supporting too, so end up barracking for both.

Here in Sydney, both my wife and I are very passionate Swans supporters, but my wife who is South Australian born and bred also used to follow the Crows, equally as pasionately. So whenever the CRows visit the SCg, guess who she barracks for ?

I know alot of youse from the Southern States tthink all this is blasphemy but its just the way it goes for places like Sydney and Brisbane where footy loyalty is not in-grained from birth.

Don't knock it though - Would you prefer it if none of these people showed up to watch the footy at all ?

cheers

Answer me this question ITB.. if your Father-in-Law played in the VFL then I bet he has a soft spot for the team he used to play for when they visit Brisbane and quietly cheers them on.
I suppose you agree with every Matthews does on game day even to the point of not questioning some of the most ridiculous moves I have ever seen a coach make.
Wouldn't it be awfully boring if everybody agreed at the footy and what would be the point of having these footy forums.

C'mon ITB. Who is this famous pop-in-law of yours? At least give us a few clues...
wink.gif

Actually he supports a different team to which he played. Lifelong Essendon supporter & played for the Doggies.

Yes he does quietly support them - however my complaint was about supposed Lions supporters who turn into rabid obnoxious w***ers when their 1st team comes & then the next week return to normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back