Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 634745
Only three more to go Birch.
I'll back you in.

I'm still willing to back Birch in too.

When he came back last time, it only lasted one or two games, but he immediately impacted our team by providing run and carry. We ended up beating Adelaide in a season we had no right to. Absolute champion.

He has been out a while and it will be tougher this time round, but when he comes back he will be best 22 and will improve the team!

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How's the double standards on this though, Cyril has a PCL injury that he can't get right and decides the retire and everyone is up in arms. Calls for him to return to play and what not. Birch does the same thing, sticks around to try to get it right and everyone wants him to retire.

Imagine if he'd given up and retired at the end of 2017, everyone would be wanting him to stick around and try to get his body right.

The grass is always greener.

Sent from my RNE-L02 using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How's the double standards on this though, Cyril has a PCL injury that he can't get right and decides the retire and everyone is up in arms. Calls for him to return to play and what not. Birch does the same thing, sticks around to try to get it right and everyone wants him to retire.

Imagine if he'd given up and retired at the end of 2017, everyone would be wanting him to stick around and try to get his body right.

The grass is always greener.

Is that why Cyril retired though?

Is that why Cyril retired though?

There is an element of that to it. If he'd never gone down with a PCL he probably would have continued to play, not for long, but perhaps for an extra year. There were a lot of compounding issues for Cyril and you can probably look at the injury set back as the straw that broke the camel's back.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Minor calf strain today, at least it was only minor...

And you believe it? A minor calf strain has him out "indefinitely"? Give me a break... It is just a retirement fund for Birch, 3 years of it to be exact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you believe it? A minor calf strain has him out "indefinitely"? Give me a break... It is just a retirement fund for Birch, 3 years of it to be exact.
He's been indefinite all preseason though.

Talking about an early return but the report has never had a week's or months next to his name.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
tenor.gif

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would love almost 2mill to spend 20 hours a week rehabbing at an elite footy club for 3 years ;)
Yeah, should have put him down the first time. Stupid football club, honouring contracts and trying to rehabilitate their employees after injuries sustained at work. I reckon euthanizing the odd player every now and then would do wonders for our ambitions of being a destination club.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Would love almost 2mill to spend 20 hours a week rehabbing at an elite footy club for 3 years ;)

You seem to be blind to the fact that he is contracted until the end of this year.
Even if he had retired the club would be legally bound to honour its’ contractual obligation and no doubt a decent player manager would ensure it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back