Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Not sure you'd call surgery 'being managed' either way you look at it, it's a setback.
Surgery?

Where has it been said he is having surgery?

FisherHawk

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2007
Snooza
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL.com states his surgury was prior to the Mooloolaba training camp, but I'm sure I saw him on the track there. I didn't take a lot of notice and he was some distance away but it was him I'm sure.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unfortunately a gun is nearing the end. Four flags and all. Great career. Great player. However he’s played his last game and he knows it. All these injury updates and surgeries is just Birch going through the motions. See out the contract, earn the money and then disappear into the sunset. I don’t begrudge the champ but it is what it is.

Unfortunately a gun is nearing the end. Four flags and all. Great career. Great player. However he’s played his last game and he knows it. All these injury updates and surgeries is just Birch going through the motions. See out the contract, earn the money and then disappear into the sunset. I don’t begrudge the champ but it is what it is.
Yes the surgeries and rehab are clear signs of someone going through the motions........

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
It’s December, and he’s being managed....

I guess the sky is falling.
"Managed" typically doesn't involve surgery.

Why is everyone writing him off?

I don't get it. Even got messages from friends and stuff saying the same thing.
30 year old who's barely played in two years - if he was an opposition player we'd all have no hesitation declaring him cooked.

I recall some of the same posters here continuously telling us they were certain Trent Croad would make it back from his foot injury too. Helps to open the other eye occasionally if you want to see straight regarding your football team, though some would argue footy's become more entertainment than sport and its simply more fun to pretend everything Hawthorn does is right, and everything Hawthorn says is true. ;)

Last edited:

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's a pretty minor surgery. I guess the concern is that he is needing these type of surgeries after so long off.

Fingers crossed we can manage this better than we have the last two years and he can play footy.

Andrew McLeod had these type of surgeries every off season at the back end of his career, but he still produced high quality footy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Managed" typically doesn't involve surgery.

30 year old who's barely played in two years - if he was an opposition player we'd all have no hesitation declaring him cooked.

I recall some of the same posters here continuously telling us they were certain Trent Croad would make it back from his foot injury too. Helps to open the other eye occasionally if you want to see straight regarding your football team, though some would argue footy's become more entertainment than sport and its simply more fun to pretend everything Hawthorn does is right, and everything Hawthorn says is true. ;)
Hey I’m allowed to be an optimist it comes with being a Hawk.

In all seriousness though this is a minor cleanup and non event.

So much drama.

Have it on pretty good authority that Birch is in good spirits, so reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

Back