Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Swelling reduced in 4-5 days.
Running by Day 10-14.

If it is as reported, then this is minor.
Preferable to a hamstring strain imo, and similar to "he felt some tightness and we're holding him back".

That they let him get all the workload of the camp is extremely encouraging, so he will basically spend his Christmas time off recovering from this minor surgery.
It doesn't sound like he is missing any training or major workload, and should be ready to resume with everybody else in 2019.

Sheesh, the body is still warm and we're already fighting over his boots.
I wouldn't touch his boots - could be the cause of 2x years worth of injuries + multiple operations...

I'll take his jumper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was told 18 months back his knee was shot and very doubtful we would see much of the Birch again and this was from someone close to the action.

Fingers toes and everything else crossed we can get him up for a few games this season but after rehabbing for basically two years it’s going to take a while to get him back to the fitness level required.

I was told 18 months back his knee was shot and very doubtful we would see much of the Birch again and this was from someone close to the action.

Fingers toes and everything else crossed we can get him up for a few games this season but after rehabbing for basically two years it’s going to take a while to get him back to the fitness level required.

Would be an extremely valuable addition at BHH even if he could play there with some young kids at a lesser fitness level.

There was nothing wrong with his knee 18 months ago. Missed games at the start of that year with a broken jaw.

Were you told by a mystic?

There was nothing wrong with his knee 18 months ago. Missed games at the start of that year with a broken jaw.

Were you told by a mystic?
I actually think Birch first suffered knee issues in 2013. This was the start of the problem, however we managed it very well up until the end of 2016. Wear and tear taking its toll.

Plenty of players have played footy with knees in worse condition.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I actually think Birch first suffered knee issues in 2013. This was the start of the problem, however we managed it very well up until the end of 2016. Wear and tear taking its toll.

Plenty of players have played footy with knees in worse condition.

Played every game in 2014 and 2016. Only missed a handful since debut.

Played every game in 2014 and 2016. Only missed a handful since debut.
No doubt, but had a knee injury in 2013 which he missed over a month.

Like many players he had to manage training loads post that season. Unfortunately hes been 80% for 18 months and the club and himself have found getting the balance right for league footy

I thought Birch was running on rails by the end of 2016. Somehow finished 4th in the Crimmins Medal from memory, but he appeared to be struggling by the back end of that season & had lost mobility/agility.

That was the time to trade him, given whom else we traded that off-season & what we got for them.

In saying that, we didn’t & he remains a listed player, so I’m looking for a silver lining... If nothing else, his knee can’t have suffered further damage in the last 2 years, can it? He’s barely been on it.

I know he’s had numerous procedures, but is there any way that the break & rehab bring him back better than prior to injury or is it all about management now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back