Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lovely retirement fund for Birch, going to be 3 years and close to 2mill for 2c of bugger all.. what a job
I suppose that’s the reward for being a 4 time premiership player with little to no injuries prior to this and for being damn good bloke (don’t know him but appears to be). Not too many other players would be given the same privilege. Hope he can finally beat this injury once and for all.

Indeed.

There are only two things that make up the American Psyche:
1. Making money to kick ass
2. Kicking ass to make money

There is nothing there to suggest we should follow such a lead.
I would hope (and believe) there is a bit more to the Hawthorn Football Club than that.

I think that as a club, we've more than proven there is.

Don't think many companies or clubs are really looking for that kind of commitment anymore, but then again neither are the people or players.
Just watch what the players insist on at their next collective bargaining agreement, and then come back and talk to me about how our club should be looking after their players well beyond what they return in their play for the team, while they are with us.
The thing with this is that the players association is there to look after the players interests, it's a union doing the collective bargaining on behalf of the players against the league

It's job is to get the best working conditions and return for the players, the freedom to move etc

It's not quite the same as a normal job, we don't get drafted out of school and forced to put a few years in somewhere. I look at the way Hawks go about it as being smart in that it helps with player retention when they want to retain the player. Some think the players have too much power now vs the clubs, they can't exist without each other so it is a balancing act.

At the same time the clubs are competing with each other and like any good workplace, employee welfare and benefits is one way to stand out from the crowd, you can't do it with salary due to the cap so you have to do it in other ways.

I think the Hawks are pretty good at it, they aren't the only club but they are one of the top clubs at it. It can lead to situations that disappoint supporters in the short term when someone like Cyril retires early or Birchall sits in limbo.

But it also helps get guys like Jaeger and Mitchell through the door, and keep players like Breust and Gunston and Sicily at the club when others come knocking.

It's also a balancing act that they need to get right and they won't always get it right.

I don't think any of them, player or club thought Birch would be on the sidelines this long, maybe with a crystal ball they would have played it differently but I can understand them hanging on to him in the belief he will come back and play again, he was a big part of four flags and a long period of success at the club and while he hasn't played for a while that doesn't mean he hasn't contributed in other ways at the club.

We tend to think what they do for the 2 hours on the weeekend is the entirety of their job but it isn't.

The thing with this is that the players association is there to look after the players interests, it's a union doing the collective bargaining on behalf of the players against the league

It's job is to get the best working conditions and return for the players, the freedom to move etc

It's not quite the same as a normal job, we don't get drafted out of school and forced to put a few years in somewhere. I look at the way Hawks go about it as being smart in that it helps with player retention when they want to retain the player. Some think the players have too much power now vs the clubs, they can't exist without each other so it is a balancing act.

At the same time the clubs are competing with each other and like any good workplace, employee welfare and benefits is one way to stand out from the crowd, you can't do it with salary due to the cap so you have to do it in other ways.

I think the Hawks are pretty good at it, they aren't the only club but they are one of the top clubs at it. It can lead to situations that disappoint supporters in the short term when someone like Cyril retires early or Birchall sits in limbo.

But it also helps get guys like Jaeger and Mitchell through the door, and keep players like Breust and Gunston and Sicily at the club when others come knocking.

It's also a balancing act that they need to get right and they won't always get it right.

I don't think any of them, player or club thought Birch would be on the sidelines this long, maybe with a crystal ball they would have played it differently but I can understand them hanging on to him in the belief he will come back and play again, he was a big part of four flags and a long period of success at the club and while he hasn't played for a while that doesn't mean he hasn't contributed in other ways at the club.

We tend to think what they do for the 2 hours on the weeekend is the entirety of their job but it isn't.

Completely agree with everything you've said. It's the side the Club is comfortable erring on, and I like it.
I also won't completely flog anyone who's gotten antsy awaiting Birch's return, especially at his age, especially as were rebuilding a contending list. If we were in the middle of a premiership run, we had 28 on the list who could get the job done (ala the great premiership years where depth was seemingly always there) but only 23 we felt great about, and a returning Birch was cream to that run who might put us over the top again for more silverware, it would make complete sense at his relatively high wages to see if we could squeeze an extra couple years of gilt-edged perfomances.
I think as were turning over players looking for that next group to hold up the cup, and with the backline unearthing some veeeery good talent who are around the league best at their posi, remaining loyal past this year if Birchall couldn't get back on the park regularly and at a really high level wouldn't make much sense.
Tige's gone early, maybe a touch as he does with many of his estimations, but probably not thaaaat early and he's couched everything he's said with his high high estimation of Grants abilities.
On a forum for discussion, that's worth reading for mine, and more fun than everyone just commenting on what's already happened.
But I'm with you, hoping Grant crushes it and we remain to be seen as a Club that get's everything from a player and gives it equally in return.

Last edited:
I reckon the Hawks need to borrow the VRC's curtain and gun so when a player goes down we can just put them out of their misery then and there. This rehabilitation nonsense is a waste of time, I mean what player has come back to play after a serious knee injury anyway?

Sent from my RNE-L02 using Tapatalk

I reckon the Hawks need to borrow the VRC's curtain and gun so when a player goes down we can just put them out of their misery then and there. This rehabilitation nonsense is a waste of time, I mean what player has come back to play after a serious knee injury anyway?
th_sarcasm-detector.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of egg on face when Birch suits up again

You got inside info that he's back, in form, can sustain it, and will show through his actions over the next couple seasons that waiting through any length recovery was the right action to take?
Awesome!

I doubt there is a level of self-awareness there that will let that happen...

Interesting, I reckon the opposite happens. Most of the posters who are regulars and get it wrong often put up their hand and say how pleased they are to be wrong. Mostly those who are part timers and doomsdayers just never come back to regular contributions if the sun comes up.

Wouldn't it be nice to not mischaracterize what's been said, and just acknowledge that a few posters have their suspicions that getting back will be tough for Birch, and further getting back and playing excellent sustained footy even harder?

That's hardly saying Grant's time with us was wasted, or he was never a champ, or hasn't contributed mightily, simply that long term leg injuries that break down consistently with ramped up activity are not encouraging news to belief in an athlete's best ability - availability.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Those who have frequented these boards, for any substantial period of time, will recall the vitriol directed at the likes of Nick Holland.
A player who dared to keep being paid whilst desperately trying to overcome his injury issues.
Even the ever smiling Johnny Barker (who couldn't get on the park for the last two years he was at the club) have copped the wrath.

Not much has changed really, only the names.
Players will get injured
Injuries will turn chronic
Contracts will be honoured.
Contracts will be negotiated and paid out.

All the while select supporters will want injury prone players excommunicated
The simple fact is that the club offer a contract reflecting the value they hold the player.
The player either agrees or heads for the door.
Expecting a player to walk, because the club got his durability wrong, is an interesting concept.
As is the concept of holding a player responsible for the injuries he incurs playing this game.

Holland or Birchall it doesn't seem to matter
The more things change the more they stay the same.

You got inside info that he's back, in form, can sustain it, and will show through his actions over the next couple seasons that waiting through any length recovery was the right action to take?
Awesome!

Interesting, I reckon the opposite happens. Most of the posters who are regulars and get it wrong often put up their hand and say how pleased they are to be wrong. Mostly those who are part timers and doomsdayers just never come back to regular contributions if the sun comes up.

Wouldn't it be nice to not mischaracterize what's been said, and just acknowledge that a few posters have their suspicions that getting back will be tough for Birch, and further getting back and playing excellent sustained footy even harder?

That's hardly saying Grant's time with us was wasted, or he was never a champ, or hasn't contributed mightily, simply that long term leg injuries that break down consistently with ramped up activity are not encouraging news to belief in an athlete's best ability - availability.

I agree with the premise of what you're saying but the lumping the part timers with the doomsdayers for not contributing as frequently as regulars is crap.

I read every football related thread bar the hypothetical garbage but don't feel the need to waste my time in a s**t fight about who will do this, who wont, whose right and whose wrong. Here i am wasting my time...

Back on Topic, I see no reason to think our medical staff are not the best in the business and outside of Birch, have done an exceptional job at taking injured players, both from our club and others, and getting them back to peak performance and keeping them durable and able to play the season out for more than the best part of Clarko's tenure. Why wouldn't the same medical staff believe they could get our most attacking and damaging backline player back onto the field and in a position to dominate again? Clearly there have been set backs but some calling for him to be retired for the sake of salary cap space seems ludicrous when we have to use the salary cap. Is it better to give another 100K to a bunch of fringe best 22 players or have faith in our system to get him back. I know what I've wanted all along and hope for his sake he makes it back as that left peg is laser like and cuts apart our opposition regularly which will be super important all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back