Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

If he returns to the firsts soon, he will add a LOT.

And if he does so, he gets another year.

Those people talking 'farewell game' should wait and see...

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t want a 70% Birch in the team. As others have said, he does not mark the ball, is not a great tackler, and is not fast. But when he is at his best he is colossus who breaks lines and hits targets.

IMO Birch needs to be 90+% and humming to be considered for seniors. For me that means many weeks dominating at Box Hill.
Why? We have a 70% (if that) Gunston running around.

11sjw

Cancelled
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Participant
May 13, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Meh
Nice to see him get through. Hopefully onward and upward

Great to see him play again. Why he didn't play for 2 years is beyond me. But rapt he can play again... finally.
I heard he lacks professionalism & spend waaaaayyyy too much time playing XBox

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gone awfully quiet too.
I’ve been a detractor and I stand by some of my pessimism. But the inference of you’re passive aggressive remark is that you can’t be a loyal hawthorn lover and Birchall fan without being disappointed with the last two years of output. I still remain a pessimist.....

I would love to be wrong. Go Hawks

I’ve been a detractor and I stand by some of my pessimism. But the inference of you’re passive aggressive remark is that you can’t be a loyal hawthorn lover and Birchall fan without being disappointed with the last two years of output. I still remain a pessimist.....

I would love to be wrong. Go Hawks
Being disappointed in 1.5 years without footy is one thing, blaming Birchall and pushing him to retire without knowing the truth about his injuries is another thing.

Some people want to be disappointed.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
If he returns to the firsts soon, he will add a LOT.

And if he does so, he gets another year.

Those people talking 'farewell game' should wait and see...

Will be interesting to see what Clarko does if he gets Birch back and Scrimmers, as well as having to think about what to do with Siss, given the forward spell for him has not worked.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
I'm rapt he's back, but wonder if with the current side, has he got a place in our backline?
Right now we have:
TOB, Frawley, Stratton
Hardwick, Sicily, Scrimshaw (was until injured).

So who does he now replace?
TOB & Frawley take the taller forwards, which allows Sicily to play 3rd man/intercepter. Hardwick and Stratton usually lock down, so it's really Scrimshaw and Birchall fighting for the one spot. Now, I love Birch, but we've sort of got him back, but a younger better marking version in Scrimshaw. What Scrimshaw doesn't have is the experience of Birchall, and probably the elite disposal but I have a feeling that will come. Only thing I can see is TOB going out, Sicily becoming more defensive and Scrimshaw taking his spot maybe.

Thoughts?

Got through unscathed, there'll be some regular contributors to this thread that'll be seething now.
a

I'm rapt he's back, but wonder if with the current side, has he got a place in our backline?
Right now we have:
TOB, Frawley, Stratton
Hardwick, Sicily, Scrimshaw (was until injured).

So who does he now replace?
TOB & Frawley take the taller forwards, which allows Sicily to play 3rd man/intercepter. Hardwick and Stratton usually lock down, so it's really Scrimshaw and Birchall fighting for the one spot. Now, I love Birch, but we've sort of got him back, but a younger better marking version in Scrimshaw. What Scrimshaw doesn't have is the experience of Birchall, and probably the elite disposal but I have a feeling that will come. Only thing I can see is TOB going out, Sicily becoming more defensive and Scrimshaw taking his spot maybe.

Thoughts?

Backline desperately needs a vocal organizer ala Hodge - Birch a lock if fit/available with the Blonde Prince or Scrimshaw to swing forward. Still not sold on TOB as the second KPD

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being disappointed in 1.5 years without footy is one thing, blaming Birchall and pushing him to retire without knowing the truth about his injuries is another thing.

Some people want to be disappointed.
Give me a break. Yep. A bunch of ‘interesting’ characters, one of them named Bruno Oresar, are going to push Birchall to retirement. I’m flattered that you would suggest such a thing but cmon. Really?

Give me a break. Yep. A bunch of ‘interesting’ characters, one of them named Bruno Oresar, are going to push Birchall to retirement. I’m flattered that you would suggest such a thing but cmon. Really?
No you won't affect him one iota, what you will do, is get the word campaigner tattooed across your forehead as a warning to those who have to deal with you. The fact that you want him gone, that you blame him for his affect on the club is sufficient for people to take umbrage, but you focus on the word push? Genius.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No you won't affect him one iota, what you will do, is get the word campaigner tattooed across your forehead as a warning to those who have to deal with you. The fact that you want him gone, that you blame him for his affect on the club is sufficient for people to take umbrage, but you focus on the word push? Genius.
You got me. When I said ‘interesting’ I should have said ‘campaigner’. Well played sir.

Peace and love - Oresar

What are you talking about? 38 posts in 4 years and this is where you've planted your flag? Jog on.

Back