Grant Birchall returns after 2 years out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see what Clarko does if he gets Birch back and Scrimmers, as well as having to think about what to do with Siss, given the forward spell for him has not worked.

What better learning experience for Scrimshaw than playing alongside Birchall

After so long and with it being wet would you rush him?
That's the curious part. Seemed to be running around pretty well.

Rush? He's fit and played a half last week?

Why a half off the back of a half the previous week? Why not 3 quarters?
Is he more likely to get injured in the wet?
Is it to rest him for next week?

Do you want to push him to play this year to get a view as to a contract for 2020?
Is it career over anyway?

Do you want to push him to play this year to get a view as to a contract for 2020?
If they wanted him to play senior footy next week off a 6 day break a half in the wet is probably the limit being his second game back.

Yes I want him to play this year but given we've waited so long I'm not worried if they are being conservative

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't play a guy coming back from knee & calf injuries in the wet if you can help it.

No point risking him a full game in those conditions when he was moving well before it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play a whole game this week & then into the ones.

Another half of footy for Birch - 13 touches and a couple tackles!

Wonder if he will be considered for Friday night against the Pies, would be great to see the great man return with a strong crowd attending!

Has to get through two full games at BHH for mine before being risked.

Hasn't played in two years, so absolutely not worth risking a soft tissue injury in the third quarter in an AFL-level game, because he is slightly under-done.

Can't wait to see this though...

What does he need to do to get a contract for 2020?

Just get through the season at Box Hill? Play a couple of games at Hawks?

I don't think his papers are stamped for retirement just yet, but I wonder what he needs to prove to the club to get a contract (on top of staying fit).

I don't think his papers are stamped for retirement just yet, but I wonder what he needs to prove to the club to get a contract (on top of staying fit).
If he gets injured again he's gone imo. Hence the softly, softly approach. Given that, I think the club wants him to go around again otherwise there is not much point to the VFL games either.

Will 100% be on the list next year. Not like he would want or ask for a huge wage. He would be happy on a smaller wage just to play & stay at Hawthorn.

I personally don't even think he is that close to retirement, think he will be on the list at least another 2 years.

I think we all know about the metrics the club uses to determine which players have dropped off to the point that they'll make the call on their future. The same ones that determined Lake was done even though he thought he was good to go but later conceded he probably wasn't.

The issue with that is that Birchall has been out so long that significant data can't have been collected. You could argue by virtue of that it's enough evidence to suggest he isn't right. But clearly the club doesn't think so otherwise they'd have already told him he was done.

So I think they'll ease him back in and hopefully he can get 4-6 games in before the end of our season. He may not have to show great playing form but I think they'll want to see that he can carry a full AFL load in at least the back half of that block of games. I'd agree that any soft tissue injury in that time could be the last straw.

You don't play a guy coming back from knee & calf injuries in the wet if you can help it.

No point risking him a full game in those conditions when he was moving well before it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play a whole game this week & then into the ones.

Minimum requirement for mine. With his injury history and the big jump in intensity on the body and muscles from VFL ot AFL, it is not worht the risk. The rest of the seaosn is purely and audition for him around whether he gets another year. He only needs to end it with a good month at AFL level to get that, so why risk it at all. Go early and get injured, the dream is over...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back