Grassroots Footy in NSW

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, it is a shame, if there was a divisional structure it may be able to hold on at a lower level, but Mudgee is a fairly small town and no doubt has RL, RU and also soccer teams, maybe even hockey as well that all compete.

Much easier getting a team that comprises 15 or so blokes to organising a footy team that may need 25 at a a minimum for the season.

These country leagues should possibly look at organising 9's comps, i know the Northern Riverina League is afflicted more by population shift rather being a third or even fourth favourite sport in the area but it struggles and has now has no reserves comp, although it has under 12, 15's and maybe even 18's.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, it is a shame, if there was a divisional structure it may be able to hold on at a lower level, but Mudgee is a fairly small town and no doubt has RL, RU and also soccer teams, maybe even hockey as well that all compete.

Much easier getting a team that comprises 15 or so blokes to organising a footy team that may need 25 at a a minimum for the season.

These country leagues should possibly look at organising 9's comps, i know the Northern Riverina League is afflicted more by population shift rather being a third or even fourth favourite sport in the area but it struggles and has now has no reserves comp, although it has under 12, 15's and maybe even 18's.

Yeah bringing it all into 1 was kind of the death nell for the club.
Hopefully down the track something can be done.

A 9s would be good.

I would of liked to join but the shift work mixed with kids etc didnt allow me to commit fully.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bogan Juniors

Club Legend
GWS Giants Team Board Tipping A Star Wars Fan
Feb 20, 2012
Orange
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
The Auskick kids will miss out to. The Mudgee boys have always come to the Orange and Bathurst carnivals and in reasonable numbers.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gotta hope AFL Central West gets someone to look after it. At Katoomba they only have Auskick and an Under 10s. It's run by the primary school principal rather than a club.

At one stage Katoomba had a senior club, i think at different times it played ( or attempted) in the Sydney League as well as the central west.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ountain-lions-australian-football-club.53997/

And this ....

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-has-phil-doyle-gone.104980/

I believe but could be wrong that Phil Doyle now lives in the UK,

https://au.linkedin.com/in/phil-doyle-694870a1

Giant Heart

THE BEAST
Sep 25, 2016
Narellan
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Swifts Panthers, Wanderers, Thunder
That's a real shame about the demise of your local club, General Giant. :(

Not that I've been to one of their games in a while, but I'm glad the Rams seem to be doing well.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
That's a real shame about the demise of your local club, General Giant. :(

Not that I've been to one of their games in a while, but I'm glad the Rams seem to be doing well.
Disappointing but theres just not the population with the Dragons (League dominating) and the Wombats (Union) as well.

Hopefully Central West gets stronger. There are still 5 or 6 clubs in it.
Im sure theres also a Giants Academy for the area as well.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not the Giants, but NSW footy.

http://www.tenterfieldstar.com.au/story/4449870/swans-land-in-moree/?cs=1483

Also i noted 3 senior men's teams in Bathurst, although there is no reserve grade, however 3 senior men's teams in any country town is a pretty good effort.

6 women's teams in Central West comp, which is also pretty good.

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-4701-0-449215-0&pool=0&round=0&a=FIXTURE
All good.

Thread is for all NSW grassroots.

Just a heads up Central West is actually in the Giants Academy Zone

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Newcastle/ Hunter district is the 2nd weakest area in Aust. for AF, non-coastal rural Qld. being the weakest.
There is some good growth occurring there in the last 3 years.

It may become appropriate, since it has an overall pop. of c.600,000+, to schedule AFL preseason & H&A games there. Perhaps Syd. v.Freo, or GC game (Syd. Zone)?
Anyone know the capacity of the Newcastle Sportsground? What would be the expected crowd for an AFL H&A game?

miksmif

Senior List
Sep 12, 2011
The Entrance
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Necastle Utd, Chicago Bulls, KVAFC
The Newcastle/ Hunter district is the 2nd weakest area in Aust. for AF, non-coastal rural Qld. being the weakest.
There is some good growth occurring there in the last 3 years.

It may become appropriate, since it has an overall pop. of c.600,000+, to schedule AFL preseason & H&A games there. Perhaps Syd. v.Freo, or GC game (Syd. Zone)?
Anyone know the capacity of the Newcastle Sportsground? What would be the expected crowd for an AFL H&A game?

There were plans to upgrade Newcastle no.1 sports ground but funding was always dependent on who won certain elections.. The main problem is the field isn't long enough for AFL games to be played there..

NEAFL games have been played there in the past (2 or 3)

As far as capacity goes, a website has said it's capacity is 20,000 (500 seated)

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
There were plans to upgrade Newcastle no.1 sports ground but funding was always dependent on who won certain elections.. The main problem is the field isn't long enough for AFL games to be played there..

NEAFL games have been played there in the past (2 or 3)

As far as capacity goes, a website has said it's capacity is 20,000 (500 seated)

Back in 2012 .... i think

Under the proposal No.1 Sportsground’s playing surface would be enlarged from 144 x 134 metres to 157 x 135 metres, as it is inadequate for elite Aussie Rules.

http://websites.sportstg.com/club_i...ID=13096&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15787258

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Women's Sides Breathing New Life into Competition

Burkinshaw has looked on with disbelief as the BDAFL Women’s competition has grown from six teams in its first season three years ago to 12 this season.

Next year, Port Stephens, Terrigal-Avoca and The Entrance Bateau Bay will push that number to 15, compared with 27 men’s sides.

Burkinshaw, the BDAFL football operations coordinator, had doubted whether the women’s competition would reach its minimum of four teams in 2015, but it ended the year with 180 players, which grew to 329 in 2016 then 385 this year and is forecast to reach 470 in 2018.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...ID=191968&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=57475536

Just went to the school tour for my daughter who's starting school next year.

Found it very interesting when they listed the school sports that AFL was included but zero mention of any rugby variant.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Just went to the school tour for my daughter who's starting school next year.

Found it very interesting when they listed the school sports that AFL was included but zero mention of any rugby variant.
What school was this?

The AFL are investing bucket loads in schools(it gets included in our funding for some reason supposedly)

It seems both union and league take the whole "heartland" thing for granted and expect the following.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What school was this?

The AFL are investing bucket loads in schools(it gets included in our funding for some reason supposedly)

It seems both union and league take the whole "heartland" thing for granted and expect the following.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Epping.

Probably a smart area to target (I'm not sure if they're doing it deliberately or not) because 95% of school age children would be of Asian heritage so there's no in-built loyalty to a rugby code.

Back