Grassroots Footy in NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Another example of the rise of AF in Sydney's west, & decline of RU.

Prestigeous, 118 y.o. RU West Harbour elite Shute Shield Club (based at the impressive, 20000 capacity inner west Concord Oval) is losing juniors/"close to going under".
The article states "...the AFL competing harder than ever in Sydney's west, was having an impact on playing numbers (RU- my words)... the AFL...are always out in the greater western area with the schools".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...in-risk-of-going-under/10182618?section=sport

Last edited:
This article provides the hitherto unreleased information about 2018 increases in participation in the ACT.
Part of the ACT "...has seen a 10% increase in growth across seven clubs in Auskick and junior football participants". I suspect this 10% covers an area which is about half of the total ACT area.

A 10% increase is excellent -if it is maintained for 7 years, it will result in a doubling of player nos. from the 1st year (compounding return)

http://aflnswact.com.au/dwyer-emerging-leader/

Last edited:

More evidence of how the creation of GWS is promoting the game in NSW- OUTSIDE of its stronghold of sthn. NSW, & middle class/affluent areas of Sydney's ES, NS, & North Shore.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/afl-chasing-diversity-in-western-sydney
To be honest the whole generational thing was always a hope for me in the beginning.
Dont get me wrong I love my club completely but I didnt "know" that we would definitely make it in Sydney.

But the more and more grassroots stories I hear, see and read in Western Sydney the more confident I get about where we will be in another 12 or so years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As someone who lived in Mudgee for many years, I didn't even hear about this. That's a true shame.
They are still trying to keep the club going.

Theres still a push for a "2nd division" so the smaller regions can have a team, which would help the club compete.

Fingers crossed it gets up.

Well they arent giving up

4b90a47210d19ad2576044dd156e27b2.jpg

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/d13122be4573733a6a4ceb961c224305

Jessica Halloran: Why AFL trumps NRL when it comes to junior sport
Jessica Halloran, Opinion, The Sunday Telegraph
March 23, 2019 2:30pm

The AFL posted our son a Sherrin, a pump to keep it inflated, a stack of footy cards and an album to hold them.

In “the AFL Auskick package” was also a backpack and a personalised sign in his favourite AFL club’s colours saying he was now “a future star in training”.
He automatically became a junior member of the Sydney Swans, a “red rookie”, and has free entry to three SCG games.

8da10dcf2c2f2e69c6680cbc21aeac30

Picture: Alex Coppel

And when we signed him up to play junior rugby league this season, what did he get from the NRL?
Nothing. Not a thing.
In the race to win over the hearts and minds of indifferent mums and dads, it is a no contest when it comes to the national program of Auskick and its clever, heavily branded, inclusive “package”.

More in the link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/d13122be4573733a6a4ceb961c224305

Jessica Halloran: Why AFL trumps NRL when it comes to junior sport
Jessica Halloran, Opinion, The Sunday Telegraph
March 23, 2019 2:30pm

The AFL posted our son a Sherrin, a pump to keep it inflated, a stack of footy cards and an album to hold them.

In “the AFL Auskick package” was also a backpack and a personalised sign in his favourite AFL club’s colours saying he was now “a future star in training”.
He automatically became a junior member of the Sydney Swans, a “red rookie”, and has free entry to three SCG games.

8da10dcf2c2f2e69c6680cbc21aeac30

Picture: Alex Coppel

And when we signed him up to play junior rugby league this season, what did he get from the NRL?
Nothing. Not a thing.
In the race to win over the hearts and minds of indifferent mums and dads, it is a no contest when it comes to the national program of Auskick and its clever, heavily branded, inclusive “package”.

More in the link
Any chance you/others can post the full article?
The link is behind a paywall.

An interesting article this morning.

While AFL would see it as a last option and Football have a naturally large grassroots not reliant on the top end, the NRL appear to be about to cut half their development officers.

killing off their future to save their past?

Bad move? good move? necessary move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to know more about their total set-up, and in particular, where their head office costs are spent to understand whether it's necessary or not. But yes, it would seem to risk cutting the future to save now - but as a result of squandering money in the past.

The nub of it is that players and clubs can be too greedy with TV rights $, wanting to get their hands on as much as possible and not put any away for a rainy day. But also, head offices become bloated & complacent, squandering money on skyrocketing executve salaries, ideas, HQ positions that aren't core to their role.

In relation to your question, where are the development officers and what are they doing? And what was the setup prior to getting these development officers in? If they are mainly 'jobs for the boys' - employing retired & cut league players - then I would question whether they are truly value for money.

Not sure what type of season we will have maybe 6-8 week however exciting to be back coaching in a couple of weeks with return to training out from both AFL-NSW and the Club

Re NSW & Qld., G. Mc Lachlan has said 6.7

"...participation at all levels of football in both states has continued to trend upwards with nearly 300,000 participants in NSW, & 270,000 participants in Qld. in 2019, an increase of 7% for each state".

Ratings are also rising.

Like all sports, these nos. are rubbery. Many are one-off Gala Days etc
Importantly, however, NSW (& Qld.) club & school (govt. & private, both primary & secondary) competition player nos. are experiencing long term growth- which has been very strong since 2012, the Giants birth. NSW AFL draft nos. have also been strong in the last few years.

Last edited:
Thought I would put this here.
Some may wish to compare the progress of NSW GR AF- & decline in NSW GR male contact RL nos.- with the other "frontier" state, Qld.

The QRL stated on 24.7.20 that the Rugby League Brisbane Juniors competition (for Greater Brisbane, but not Ipswich District comp.) for kids U6- U12, only had c. 5000 players, in 498 teams (& c. 10% of these are Club tag comp teams).

This is an extraordinarily low, almost shocking, figure for Brisbane, a RL heartland city of c. 2.2m people (not including Ipswich, which has its own Ipswich Junior RL comp.)

Last edited:
Female private secondary school AF is booming in Sydney's ISC comp. The ISC 7 week comp. only began in 2019- but in 2021, there were a record 72 girls' teams from 11 private secondary schools. This is an increase of one extra school, & an increase of 19 teams cf. the 2020 comp.

This is an extraordinary achievement for a comp. that only formed in 2019, the length was reduced in 2020 due to covid, & is not an AF heartland area- & they are girls, many with no previous AF background/"AF cultural resonance".

Open the link to see the fixture, & all the girls' schools (all single sex) involved.

Unfortunately the ISC comp. started in the heat of summer- unfair on males or females.

Whilst only MLC Burwood, PLC Croydon, & St Scholastica's Glebe can be considered WS, the presence of GWS has assisted this growth- by raising greatly the profile of AF in NSW since 2012 in general, & the Giants' AFLW team in particular. My understanding is that Alice Eva & other GWS AFLW players have visited schools in the inner WS & Swans' Zone, to promote female AF participation.

EDIT:

This December 2017 girls' schools comp. was simply a short weekend round-robin, to gauge interest- before the full season comp. was established.

It is interesting to note that the ISC girls' comp. intends eventually to become a state-wide comp.ie girls from all private schools in NSW will be invited to join.

I expect the AF spread into Sydney's WS will be aided & influenced, eventually, by the very strong general govt. & private school growth in Sydney's NS, ES, & inner WS.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back