Gravel

Yeah I said it. There are surfaces other than asphalt to get your kicks on.

Are there any gravel grinders on this board?
I've recently started down this route after upgrading my bike a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. Did the Warburton trail twice last Friday, am planning some longer bikepacking trips in coming months - may even stay at Bonnie Doon when I hit up the Great Victorian Rail Trail.

Farken mountain bikers ruining the tranquility for everyone else.
Pffft - mountain bikes.

1606781204018.png

1606781224246.png

Aha. Poseurbikes. My apologies.

Farken poseurbikers ruining the tranquility for everyone else.
You can enjoy your fashionista lycra rides constrained by only the smoothest of tarmac if you like... and leave the gravel and adventure to those of us not beaten down by life.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah I said it. There are surfaces other than asphalt to get your kicks on.

Are there any gravel grinders on this board?
I've recently started down this route after upgrading my bike a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. Did the Warburton trail twice last Friday, am planning some longer bikepacking trips in coming months - may even stay at Bonnie Doon when I hit up the Great Victorian Rail Trail.

Turn left at the Launching Place pub (coming from Lilydale) and take the gravel road to the top of Mt Donna Buang. I used to start from Bayswater near the footy oval and take the bike path to the foot of Mt Dandy. Then the gravel roads over the mountain and down to Silvan/MtEvelyn and get onto the trail and onto Mt Donna. Big day out, about 150k and plenty of climbing. Best thing about gravel riding around there is there is still plenty of towns and shops to get food/drinks. Gembrook area is really good, look up Bunyip national Park and Kurth Kiln area. If doing the GV rail trail I reckon your better to stay at Mansfield, the Delatite pub and the one across the road have cheap rooms or the accomadation at Yarck looks pretty good and there is a pub there, depends on what your plans are. The main attraction to GVRT is the tunnel near Yea, if your doing it, take lights. It is pitch black once you get inside and all you can see is a circle of sunlight at the other end. I was s**t scared somebody had put a branch or something across inside because you would not see it without a light. There used to a gravel grinders group in Melbourne that did organised rides once a month but I havent lived there for a few years. I've always wanted to do from Marysville up to the top of the Cathedral Range, same goes for Beechworth/Yackandandah area but each time I plan a holiday it's always roadie/mtb on top of the car. I figure gravel riding is better in winter, less chance of snakes and running out of water in the middle of nowhere.

Turn left at the Launching Place pub (coming from Lilydale) and take the gravel road to the top of Mt Donna Buang. I used to start from Bayswater near the footy oval and take the bike path to the foot of Mt Dandy. Then the gravel roads over the mountain and down to Silvan/MtEvelyn and get onto the trail and onto Mt Donna. Big day out, about 150k and plenty of climbing. Best thing about gravel riding around there is there is still plenty of towns and shops to get food/drinks. Gembrook area is really good, look up Bunyip national Park and Kurth Kiln area. If doing the GV rail trail I reckon your better to stay at Mansfield, the Delatite pub and the one across the road have cheap rooms or the accomadation at Yarck looks pretty good and there is a pub there, depends on what your plans are. The main attraction to GVRT is the tunnel near Yea, if your doing it, take lights. It is pitch black once you get inside and all you can see is a circle of sunlight at the other end. I was sh*t scared somebody had put a branch or something across inside because you would not see it without a light. There used to a gravel grinders group in Melbourne that did organised rides once a month but I havent lived there for a few years. I've always wanted to do from Marysville up to the top of the Cathedral Range, same goes for Beechworth/Yackandandah area but each time I plan a holiday it's always roadie/mtb on top of the car. I figure gravel riding is better in winter, less chance of snakes and running out of water in the middle of nowhere.
Cheers, good info. At the moment if I manage 150kms in a day (especially with climbing) I doubt I'd be going anywhere the next day!
I've got a pretty lightweight hiking set up that fits on my bike pretty well so was planning to camp en route on most trips, but the idea of having hot meals cooked for me is mighty appealing.

As it stand I commute on the bike in all weather so certainly not worried by winter riding. As some say - they is no bad weather, just bad equipment.

Jeez. Hard core cycling back in the day. I had a couple of dicey moments on the return leg of the EGRT (Orbost to Bairnsdale) and I had 38mm tires

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Jeez. Hard core cycling back in the day. I had a couple of dicey moments on the return leg of the EGRT (Orbost to Bairnsdale) and I had 38mm tires

1930 in Queensland. John Bange.

path-racer-super-corner.jpg

This is a short piece on the guy riding in this shot. Easy to see why he was a fearless racer.

Back