Autopsy Great article on irrational reactions post Rd 3.

Who's the one player north are missing the most?

• Ben Jacobs

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Jed Anderson

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Mason Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marley Williams

• Majak Daw

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Paul Ahern

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Sam Wright

• Someone else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 26, 2012
Mos Eisley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
https://theshinboner.com/2019/04/08...h-review-north-melbourne-hawthorn-brad-scott/

This is a belter of a writeup I found on Reddit. Makes some extremely good points that have made me reconsider how I feel about the whole "sack scott" thing. Breaks it down excellently into well thought out questions.

TLDR - thin stocks without the skills needed, key positions players out, Clarkson is a coaching god amongst men, smashed in the clearances, skill errors.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The article actually does point out the reasons for our current issues.............it's almost entirely dedicated to the method (coaches).

Posting a poll on particular players missing based on that article, is disingenuous.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've never read a more apologetic piece in my life - this is not at you Roo182, but I'll respond to your summary points.

Thin stocks? I thought we just spent a fortune on players.

What has clarkson got to do with our performance?

My eyes see skill use that is better than the last few years! Efficiencies have been really good (apart from the usual suspects). Sure you can point to a few things once we were behind and needing to run risky plays, but honestly the whole skill use I don't think is our greatest issue and I think the numbers will back me up.

KFPs out?? We dont have many outs at all, and its not like we have had those players in for a long time anyway so if we haven't adapted by now then who is to blame for that?

This is by far the worst gameplan I've seen come out of NMFC for 30 years. We have the cattle.

We are a joke. A ******* joke.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Thin stocks? I thought we just spent a fortune on players.

What has clarkson got to do with our performance?.

Indeed.

Look no further than what he managed to do with what he put on the park.

On paper, that side should never have beaten us.

TLDR - thin stocks without the skills needed, key positions players out, Clarkson is a coaching god amongst men, smashed in the clearances, skill errors.

Thin stocks: who is responsible for the lack of development?
Without skills needed: who is responsible?
KPP out: We are missing just Daw of the established KPP.
Outcoached: We beat them last year and have a decent record against Clarkson, weak excuse.
Smashed in clearances: 36 clearances each.
Skill errors: who is responsible?

Regardless of whether you think this is a well written or insightful article it is primarily focussed on one match with comment on our season so far. Most "sack Scotts" peeps are concerned about the entirety of his tenure.

You can look at some KPI's such as two PF's and argue this is not a bad outcome, you could look at his player management mentoring and welfare and say he is excellent and you could say he was the man for the job when we needed him and his contribution to the club overall has been a positive one. So on that basis those with hatred in their hearts towards Scotts reaching for their pitchfork need to take a chill pill.

Scotts weaknesses are exposed by looking at the underlying trends over the previous decade. No top four finish, some wildly inconsistent seasons (9 wins in a row then.....) lack of player development on field, our inability to attract marquee players despite hanging record sized carrots under their noses and no sound strategic direction to achieve a GF (our average finish has been 9th) all smacking of mid table mediocrity.

Respect the man hate where are as a club.

If it were up to me I would be very quietly talking to Scotts management now about an orderly transition at the end of this season, load it up if we have to (we've got plenty of $) and start the hunt now for his replacement no holds barred no one off the table including current coaches. There can be only one objective for our next coach.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The three things main things pointed out as being the reason we lost (a game plan our team wasn't skilled enough to implement, size down back and weakness in the centre) were all incredibly obvious before the game, in fact I and many other posters pointed this out before the first bounce.

Before the game I pointed out that we'd lose for three reasons:
- Hawthorn intercepting our long kicks :heavycheck:
- Hawthorn's small forwards cutting us up :heavycheck:
- Getting smashed in the middle :heavycheck:

It doesn't sit well with me to use these points to defend Brad Scott and say that s**t happens sometimes. These issues were all incredibly obvious and nothing was done to prevent them, therefore we as supporters should 100% have the right to "overreact" and blame the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
https://theshinboner.com/2019/04/08...h-review-north-melbourne-hawthorn-brad-scott/

This is a belter of a writeup I found on Reddit. Makes some extremely good points that have made me reconsider how I feel about the whole "sack scott" thing. Breaks it down excellently into well thought out questions.

Clarkson is a genius. Can't say the same for the other coaches who have outmanouvred Scott on game day over a longish time now.

I am at the point I was with Laidley in 2009. The coach has been generally a very positive influence on the club and I have loved so many magical times with the team on hiswatch, but we seem to have hit a wall we can't get through, around or over. I know the Majak incident would have hit hard and affected people's perspectve and their capacity to fully engage, and I've been fine to cut the whole organisation plenty of slack. But - thanks cheery PR team - the incredible work Maj is doing to recover his life is kind of making the limpness of the club's performances even more disappointing. There is no magic solution that's going to suddenly land here. It's been 10 years. Feels like time for a fresh start.

I would ******* love to be wrong, and see Brad take the team on a Bomber Thompson/Damien Hardwick-style ride from the doldrums to a flag. But I don't see it.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
This from the Shinboner

The North Melbourne Shinboners
21 hrs ·
To all North fans, please read:
It has been an extremely shocking start to the year for us, we acknowledge that for a fact, no one could’ve seen this start coming, but let’s break it down and see why we currently sit 0-3

The new rules, are clearly driving the strange start to the year, it exposes a team’s defence quite badly if not switched on, there have been MULTIPLE GAMES this year, not just ours, that clearly reflect this, there is no such thing as a safe margin, a safe lead, that’s a thing of the past, as seen in the first 3 rounds, several teams have been 30-40 points up and go on to lose by 20+ points, clearly evident that it’s hard to stop a team’s momentum.

The absence of Majak Daw, who had a incredible synergy with Thompson and Tarrant, is clearly showing at the moment, there is a massive hole in our defence, that one player who can come off his own player and intercept the forward 50 entry, Jasper Pittard was recruited from Port Adelaide to be a rebounding defender, but he is now also trying to fill Majaks hole for the team, and so far he is doing an outstanding job, without Pittard, guaranteed we would be a lot more worse off.

Marley Williams absence against the hawks was also black and white, with bruest getting off the leash and kicking a bag on us, if Marley was out there, bruest wouldn’t have had as much of an impact as he did, with Marley Williams renowned for his shut down role on damaging small/medium forwards, people need to realise the importance of him to this side. Luke McDonald took up that shut down role and kept Paul Puopolo quiet all evening, well done luke!

Sam Wright has also been injured this year, he is the player who directs traffic in defence, the player who makes the right decisions and is good on both sides of his body, he’s also the intercept player we are lacking at the moment, again being performed by Pittard.
Our problems also carry into the midfield, with Ben Jacobs and Jed Anderson being absent from the side, we all know how much of an impact Jacobs has on the side, tagging out the most dangerous opposition mid but also winning his own ball, he continues to battle a serious sinus issue, and no ETA on his return, Kyron Hayden is currently being groomed to fill his role in the team, and is taking major strides, Jed Anderson is that grunt and pressure we are lacking in the midfield, but he should return this week against the crows, what a welcome return he will be!

Our forward line is also an issue that can be fixed, Ben Brown does not have the support ever since Jarrad Waite retired, the mantle was passed onto Mason Wood who has had an injury ridden year once again and is trying to get back to full fitness, once he is fit, we all know he can turn it on. In the mean time, the club is putting its faith in Nick Larkey and Tom Campbell to try and fill that void, the club see Larkey and Wood to be suitable replacements for Waite and to be support for brown, it just needs time to click

The new Recruits, Aaron Hall, Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec and Dom Tyson, are all holding up their end of the bargain, each one has had an amazing start to their career in the blue and white, and each 4 recruits have been amongst our best each week the past 3 weeks. Bailey Scott is also another who continues to surprise and its just a matter of time until Tarryn Thomas does too

Luke Davies-Uniacke is another player who seems to be getting better and better every week, bursting out of the midfield and using his skills to hit targets every time he has the ball, more continuity this year and he will become a very important player once we hit the finals this year (yes we will play finals)
We ask you supporters and members, stick with the club, stick by us, it’s just a matter of time until we click as a unit, 7 new players in the starting 22 takes a few games to click together, and we can clearly see as each week goes on we are getting better and better, despite not winning games in the end.
Anderson will return in the next week or two, Sam Wright also, and Majak Daw tipped to make a shock return to football by June/July, hang around because once our full squad is up and running, and all new players gel with the rest of the group, it’s going to be one exciting fantastic ride 😍

Get down to Marvel Stadium this Saturday night, as we look to get our season back on track, and the boys are pumped and ready, we hope you are too 🤘💪
#BEASHINBONER

hcd199

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)
It's a fair analysis of the loss to Hawthorn in isolation - their adjusting to our clear game plan after the first quarter, our attempts to counter that without lapsing into a handball-happy mess, and so on. But the "rising tensions" aren't so much about that loss as about the various very concerning patterns it formed part of: extreme vulnerability at centre clearances; a seemingly 'default'/base gameplan that results in overpossession, high risk of turnover, and significant vulnerability when such turnovers eventuate; a decade-long issue with starting fast on the scoreboard and being chased down; a decade-long issue with starting seasons poorly and playing catch-up the rest of the year. On top of all this, there's little to suggest significant change at a time when it seems most needed, with a selection panel who are notoriously intransigent, and a coach who now seems to view losses as just parallel reality victories... we've been able to handle deficiencies like these for so long because there have been plenty of positives to counter them, but the balance has swung significantly this season, and not for the better.

None of this ignores the fact that some people have reacted irrationality to our present poor form (but when haven't they?), nor do I mean to suggest BF's ideas on selection policy or future direction are much good either (it's always "play the kids and tank for picks", as far as I can see, which has hardly helped our current 0-3 companions to get anywhere). But the issues people have go well beyond who we were missing this week or a single coaching manoeuvre that got the best of us - these are long-term issues that have mystifyingly gone unrectified for too long.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
This from the Shinboner

The North Melbourne Shinboners
21 hrs ·
To all North fans, please read:
It has been an extremely shocking start to the year for us, we acknowledge that for a fact, no one could’ve seen this start coming, but let’s break it down and see why we currently sit 0-3

The new rules, are clearly driving the strange start to the year, it exposes a team’s defence quite badly if not switched on, there have been MULTIPLE GAMES this year, not just ours, that clearly reflect this, there is no such thing as a safe margin, a safe lead, that’s a thing of the past, as seen in the first 3 rounds, several teams have been 30-40 points up and go on to lose by 20+ points, clearly evident that it’s hard to stop a team’s momentum.

The absence of Majak Daw, who had a incredible synergy with Thompson and Tarrant, is clearly showing at the moment, there is a massive hole in our defence, that one player who can come off his own player and intercept the forward 50 entry, Jasper Pittard was recruited from Port Adelaide to be a rebounding defender, but he is now also trying to fill Majaks hole for the team, and so far he is doing an outstanding job, without Pittard, guaranteed we would be a lot more worse off.

Marley Williams absence against the hawks was also black and white, with bruest getting off the leash and kicking a bag on us, if Marley was out there, bruest wouldn’t have had as much of an impact as he did, with Marley Williams renowned for his shut down role on damaging small/medium forwards, people need to realise the importance of him to this side. Luke McDonald took up that shut down role and kept Paul Puopolo quiet all evening, well done luke!

Sam Wright has also been injured this year, he is the player who directs traffic in defence, the player who makes the right decisions and is good on both sides of his body, he’s also the intercept player we are lacking at the moment, again being performed by Pittard.
Our problems also carry into the midfield, with Ben Jacobs and Jed Anderson being absent from the side, we all know how much of an impact Jacobs has on the side, tagging out the most dangerous opposition mid but also winning his own ball, he continues to battle a serious sinus issue, and no ETA on his return, Kyron Hayden is currently being groomed to fill his role in the team, and is taking major strides, Jed Anderson is that grunt and pressure we are lacking in the midfield, but he should return this week against the crows, what a welcome return he will be!

Our forward line is also an issue that can be fixed, Ben Brown does not have the support ever since Jarrad Waite retired, the mantle was passed onto Mason Wood who has had an injury ridden year once again and is trying to get back to full fitness, once he is fit, we all know he can turn it on. In the mean time, the club is putting its faith in Nick Larkey and Tom Campbell to try and fill that void, the club see Larkey and Wood to be suitable replacements for Waite and to be support for brown, it just needs time to click

The new Recruits, Aaron Hall, Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec and Dom Tyson, are all holding up their end of the bargain, each one has had an amazing start to their career in the blue and white, and each 4 recruits have been amongst our best each week the past 3 weeks. Bailey Scott is also another who continues to surprise and its just a matter of time until Tarryn Thomas does too

Luke Davies-Uniacke is another player who seems to be getting better and better every week, bursting out of the midfield and using his skills to hit targets every time he has the ball, more continuity this year and he will become a very important player once we hit the finals this year (yes we will play finals)
We ask you supporters and members, stick with the club, stick by us, it’s just a matter of time until we click as a unit, 7 new players in the starting 22 takes a few games to click together, and we can clearly see as each week goes on we are getting better and better, despite not winning games in the end.
Anderson will return in the next week or two, Sam Wright also, and Majak Daw tipped to make a shock return to football by June/July, hang around because once our full squad is up and running, and all new players gel with the rest of the group, it’s going to be one exciting fantastic ride 😍

Get down to Marvel Stadium this Saturday night, as we look to get our season back on track, and the boys are pumped and ready, we hope you are too 🤘💪
#BEASHINBONER
Surprisingly literate for Suzi.

I will always keep coming and cheering no matter what, but I don't need to be told to hang on because sunshione and rainbows and this is eventually going to be an exciting ride :emoji.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Surprisingly literate for Suzi.

I will always keep coming and cheering no matter what, but I don't need to be told to hang on because sunshione and rainbows and this is eventually going to be an exciting ride :emoji.
I was taken, by the countless words and nearly a mention of every player on our list, but.......Paul Ahern couldn't rate a mention:think:

It's not irrational and it isn't a reaction to R3. This team has basically been treading water - at best - since the middle of 2016. There is nothing irrational about expecting better than this.

Some of this stuff appears to be based in fantasy.

If the club sees Larkey as a suitable replacement they would probably be well placed to, I don't know, play him in an actual game of AFL footy.

If the club sees Wood as a suitable replacement for Waite, on current and previous output, they collectively need a concussion test.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Just realised Laidley coached a win 3 weeks before he respectfully stood aside.

If Brad manages to eke out 4 points this season hopefully board and supporters don't get fooled by a potential false dawn.

Ultimately, he only has to fool the administration (which is clearly detached from the supporters).

Jun 26, 2012
Mos Eisley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for all the great responses everyone! For the record, I did not write this, it showed up on the NMFC subreddit, and I wanted to get a gauge on how some of our more passionate followers felt about the authors points. It's clear he makes some good arguments, but overall I think the consensus is that Brad probably won't last the whole year.

Back