Autopsy Great article on irrational reactions post Rd 3.

Who's the one player north are missing the most?

• Ben Jacobs

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Jed Anderson

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Mason Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marley Williams

• Majak Daw

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Paul Ahern

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Sam Wright

• Someone else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! For the record, I did not write this, it showed up on the NMFC subreddit, and I wanted to get a gauge on how some of our more passionate followers felt about the authors points. It's clear he makes some good arguments, but overall I think the consensus is that Brad probably won't last the whole year.
What you might have missed is that the author of the article is Rick18 here, a former part of the NMFC media team, and there’s a thread for his analysis here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ricks-analysis-2019-version.1213127/

Just realised Laidley coached a win 3 weeks before he respectfully stood aside.

If Brad manages to eke out 4 points this season hopefully board and supporters don't get fooled by a potential false dawn.
Scott is a much better "salesman" and image-maker than Laidley ever was. I have no doubt our administration (at least until now) have seen Scott as a guarantor of stability and success, even though there hasn't been any real success under him.

This from the Shinboner

The North Melbourne Shinboners
21 hrs ·
To all North fans, please read:
It has been an extremely shocking start to the year for us, we acknowledge that for a fact, no one could’ve seen this start coming, but let’s break it down and see why we currently sit 0-3

The new rules, are clearly driving the strange start to the year, it exposes a team’s defence quite badly if not switched on, there have been MULTIPLE GAMES this year, not just ours, that clearly reflect this, there is no such thing as a safe margin, a safe lead, that’s a thing of the past, as seen in the first 3 rounds, several teams have been 30-40 points up and go on to lose by 20+ points, clearly evident that it’s hard to stop a team’s momentum.

The absence of Majak Daw, who had a incredible synergy with Thompson and Tarrant, is clearly showing at the moment, there is a massive hole in our defence, that one player who can come off his own player and intercept the forward 50 entry, Jasper Pittard was recruited from Port Adelaide to be a rebounding defender, but he is now also trying to fill Majaks hole for the team, and so far he is doing an outstanding job, without Pittard, guaranteed we would be a lot more worse off.

Marley Williams absence against the hawks was also black and white, with bruest getting off the leash and kicking a bag on us, if Marley was out there, bruest wouldn’t have had as much of an impact as he did, with Marley Williams renowned for his shut down role on damaging small/medium forwards, people need to realise the importance of him to this side. Luke McDonald took up that shut down role and kept Paul Puopolo quiet all evening, well done luke!

Sam Wright has also been injured this year, he is the player who directs traffic in defence, the player who makes the right decisions and is good on both sides of his body, he’s also the intercept player we are lacking at the moment, again being performed by Pittard.
Our problems also carry into the midfield, with Ben Jacobs and Jed Anderson being absent from the side, we all know how much of an impact Jacobs has on the side, tagging out the most dangerous opposition mid but also winning his own ball, he continues to battle a serious sinus issue, and no ETA on his return, Kyron Hayden is currently being groomed to fill his role in the team, and is taking major strides, Jed Anderson is that grunt and pressure we are lacking in the midfield, but he should return this week against the crows, what a welcome return he will be!

Our forward line is also an issue that can be fixed, Ben Brown does not have the support ever since Jarrad Waite retired, the mantle was passed onto Mason Wood who has had an injury ridden year once again and is trying to get back to full fitness, once he is fit, we all know he can turn it on. In the mean time, the club is putting its faith in Nick Larkey and Tom Campbell to try and fill that void, the club see Larkey and Wood to be suitable replacements for Waite and to be support for brown, it just needs time to click

The new Recruits, Aaron Hall, Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec and Dom Tyson, are all holding up their end of the bargain, each one has had an amazing start to their career in the blue and white, and each 4 recruits have been amongst our best each week the past 3 weeks. Bailey Scott is also another who continues to surprise and its just a matter of time until Tarryn Thomas does too

Luke Davies-Uniacke is another player who seems to be getting better and better every week, bursting out of the midfield and using his skills to hit targets every time he has the ball, more continuity this year and he will become a very important player once we hit the finals this year (yes we will play finals)
We ask you supporters and members, stick with the club, stick by us, it’s just a matter of time until we click as a unit, 7 new players in the starting 22 takes a few games to click together, and we can clearly see as each week goes on we are getting better and better, despite not winning games in the end.
Anderson will return in the next week or two, Sam Wright also, and Majak Daw tipped to make a shock return to football by June/July, hang around because once our full squad is up and running, and all new players gel with the rest of the group, it’s going to be one exciting fantastic ride 😍

Get down to Marvel Stadium this Saturday night, as we look to get our season back on track, and the boys are pumped and ready, we hope you are too 🤘💪
#BEASHINBONER

What an absolute crock of s**t! Excuses, excuses, excuses! NOT INTERESTED ANYMORE! Don't tell me who's missing at the moment. Hawthorn on the weekend were missing Mitchell, Shiel, Burgoyne, Roughead just to name a few. Far more talent and runs on the board in comparison to who is missing for us right now.

The only thing that this article confirms for me, assuming it is written by someone from within the club walls or very close to (as that is how it is written), is that the club STILL DON'T GET IT!

Our club right now is spewing with incompetence on every level.

Last edited:
Scott is a much better "salesman" and image-maker than Laidley ever was. I have no doubt our administration (at least until now) have seen Scott as a guarantor of stability and success, even though there hasn't been any real success under him.

Brad could bullshit Deano under the table.

Brad could bullshit Deano under the table.
Hence why all this "unrest" would be news to the club board, and they wouldn't have even entertained the idea of Brad potentially moving on at the end of the season, let alone anything before that.

What an absolute crock of s**t! Excuses, excuses, excuses! NOT INTERESTED ANYMORE! Don't tell me who's missing at the moment. Hawthorn on the weekend were missing Mitchell, Shiel, Burgoyne, Roughead just to name a few. Far more talent and runs on the board in comparison to who is missing for us right now.

The only thing that this article confirms for me, assuming it is written by someone from within the club walls or very close to (as that is how it is written), is that the club STILL DON'T GET IT!

Our club right now is spewing with incompetence on every level.
The irrationally perky nature of the article quoted earlier doesn’t sound like Rick at all. I think I’m confused.

Just to provide some further context on the team on Sunday, missing from the team that lost to Adelaide in the final round last year were Daw, Williams, Anderson, Wright, Waite, Wood, Hrovat, Clarke and Walker. All up 9 players missing either injured, retired or traded and some real quality and experience there.

Their replacements were Polec, Pittard, Hall, Tyson, Scott, Thomas, McKay, Campbell and Davies-Uniacke. Of those 9 only two players had played more than 2 games for the club, being McKay and Davies-Uniacke.

Just to provide some further context on the team on Sunday, missing from the team that lost to Adelaide in the final round last year were Daw, Williams, Anderson, Wright, Waite, Wood, Hrovat, Clarke and Walker. All up 9 players missing either injured, retired or traded and some real quality and experience there.

Their replacements were Polec, Pittard, Hall, Tyson, Scott, Thomas, McKay, Campbell and Davies-Uniacke. Of those 9 only two players had played more than 2 games for the club, being McKay and Davies-Uniacke.

So what?

How many of those players you mentioned are Brownlow Medallists, All Australian's Syd Barker medallists or Premiership players?

I thought we played St Kilda in the final round last year, and Walker didn't play due to injury, not sure about Hrovat. Clarke was crap all year, while Wood was horribly out of form in the preseason and round 1. Would Williams, Anderson, Wright and Daw make sufficient difference? I doubt it. But even if you think they would have, you'd have to include Burgoyne, Shiels and Roughead into the Hawthorn lineup.

Did we lose a game against Hawthorn because of the Marley's absence ?
Can we win a game against Adelaide because of the addition of Anderson's effort?
How can they lose their confidence after Half time in spite of leading score?

Funny answers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we played St Kilda in the final round last year, and Walker didn't play due to injury, not sure about Hrovat. Clarke was crap all year, while Wood was horribly out of form in the preseason and round 1. Would Williams, Anderson, Wright and Daw make sufficient difference? I doubt it. But even if you think they would have, you'd have to include Burgoyne, Shiels and Roughead into the Hawthorn lineup.

Yes it was the Saints we played in Waitey's last game. It was late in the season we played Adelaide.

So what?

How many of those players you mentioned are Brownlow Medallists, All Australian's Syd Barker medallists or Premiership players?

Maybe you need to take some advice from your name. Stressing at the level you are at the present may not be good for your health

We are always fixing issues, never ahead of the game.

:thumbsu: When you're spending more on repairs each year than a loan, well, sometimes it's just time for a new car.

I didn't read the article but definitely thought provoking.

I'm no Brad fan, but I think I can understand why he had an irrational reaction to round 3. For the first time his processes and ability were questioned. s**t about time we've been doing it for probably five years.

He just cracked under pressure and bit back, which is ok , but the bigger concern was his thought process after a couple of nights sleep. He just started crapping on, suggesting playing SEVEN new players was the cause of our ills is utter tripe.

I'm a qualified Dennis Pagan dill and I know what the issue is, He's replaced Jarrod " I'll draw opponents like moths to a flame so Benny Brown has a clear run " Waite with Tom "soup" Campbell. There's just no ******* comparison and I like Tommy so please don't think otherwise.

Up the other end he's lost Majak " I'll mark or at worst spoil anything that comes into our defensive 50 and can go fwd and kick goals" Daw with young Ben McKay who just like "Soup" I like, he's just not there.

Add in Anderson and the rule changes and it brews a nice steaming pile of failure. So why bloody lie? How silly does Brad think the world is? And that's the concern, a man who thinks his smart but is rather average is dangerous to have in charge of our footy club. imo of course.

Back