Great coaching moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Blight starting a defender, Shane Ellen, FF in the 97 grand final. Kicked 5 goals. Not sure if Jarman started forward or went there in the last. Kicked 5 last qtr goals. Worsfold sending Hunter forward in 2005 and 2006 finals series.

Heady in 92 went in the mid or at half back and dominated.

Malthouse was awesome in a 99 final which went down the wire and could have been his last game at the eagles and was banging the desk and broke a bone in his hand. Raw emotion and passion. I also loved him in tears in the 2002 GF, after it when the pies lost narrowly. Not that the Pies lost, I just love that raw emotion and care he has for his club and for football. His daughter Kristy Malthouse was interviewing him after the game and was crying herself because her dad was so upset. I just welled up, people can be great at times.

* I'm a marshmallow like the 98 Roos.

Mark Williams doing a choking impression clutching his tie after Port won in 2004. I hated port, wasn't going for them, but good on him. He had every right to do what he did. Gave campaigners the biggest * you he could and stuck it up them in an almighty royal manner.

In 1991, during both the season and finals, the move of James Morrissey from the forward-line to the back-line to lock down on Chris Lewis.

“Clarko telling the Hawks to rush the behind in 2008 GF“ isn’t actually a thing. It wasn’t a coaching move or directive.

If you’re going to align Clarkson with anything in 2008 it should be his “kill the shark” theme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Williams doing a choking impression clutching his tie after Port won in 2004. I hated port, wasn't going for them, but good on him. He had every right to do what he did. Gave campaigners the biggest **** you he could and stuck it up them in an almighty royal manner.

Even better was his victory speech where he said 'Allan Scott, you were wrong'
Allan had called for Choco's head the previous season declaring Port would never win a Premiership under Williams.

Takes guts to call a major sponsor out in that fashion but he was right.

In 1969 Richmond faced Carlton at Princes Park in a must win game to make finals so Tom Hafey moved Billy Barrot to full forward who kicked 8 goals and Richmond won and then went on to win the grand final that year with Hafey again moving Barrot to full forward

Hardwick picked a pretty good time to move Martin to FF in last years GF

Apparently, Hardwick has very little to do with that (beyond approving/setting it up initially)

Seems the 'standard' team rules were that whenever Dusty wanted to rest forward, he just swapped with Caddy and the rest of the forward line knew to give him space so they played a bit further up field.

Apparently, Hardwick has very little to do with that (beyond approving/setting it up initially)

Seems the 'standard' team rules were that whenever Dusty wanted to rest forward, he just swapped with Caddy and the rest of the forward line knew to give him space so they played a bit further up field.

Ah right. Well sometimes good coaching is trusting your players to make the right move.

And sometimes you just get lucky.

Ah right. Well sometimes good coaching is trusting your players to make the right move.

And sometimes you just get lucky.

Yup. I'm sure there were times when the move happened by coaches directive, but most of the time it was just Dusty wanting a break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back