Great fast bowling spells

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the all time great bowling performances.

How's the shot from Peter Kirsten for the second wicket? An opening batsmen playing that shot whilst sitting on 1 makes some of Matthew Wade and Brad Haddin's dismissals look positively sane. But he was 39, facing up to a bloke bowling like thunder, lost almost his entire international career to apartheid, and this ended up being his last shot in test cricket.... maybe he was thinking "to * with this". :beercheers:

Last edited:

Only a single wicket in this one, but for pure hostility this is some spell from WA boy Duncan Spencer early in his English county career.

Viv Richards comes out to bat at about @6.00. He is 41 and a couple of years retired, but he still scored 1243 @ 47 that county season (his last FC season) so he could still very much hold his own in the middle. He was very uncomfortable through this spell. The ball at about 7:35 is an absolute brute of a delivery.

Spencer only took 1/43 as Viv eventually settled in and scored 46* for Glamorgan to pass Kent's target of 201.

Looking at a couple of brilliant Glenn McGrath spells at Lords, does go to show you whilst pace does look impressive, it's not the be all and end all, especially on English wickets.

That Malcolm spell is one of my fave cricket stories. Just the perfect storm for one of the most enigmatic cricketers of the last 40 or so years. Patterson allegedly did the same thing to Australia at the MCG but the general passiveness of Malcolm makes his more amazing.

At the other end Daryl Cullinan made 94 from memory and was on another pitch to his teammates

Yeah, when I was growing up as a lefty he was the bowler my cricket coach always talked about

Feel like he doesn't get enough recognition these days - sort of the forgotten hero between Lindwall and Lillee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, when I was growing up as a lefty he was the bowler my cricket coach always talked about

Feel like he doesn't get enough recognition these days - sort of the forgotten hero between Lindwall and Lillee
Yep, if Williamson is the gold standard for excellent AND coachable batting techniques, then IMO the gold standard for excellent AND coachable bowling actions is Alan Davidson. Very easy action for a young kid coming to grasps with the mechanics of quick bowling to replicate - unfortunately there isn't loads of great footage around of him. Coachable being the key word here - as an example Wasim Akram has a fantastic action, but if a young kid in his early teens can't get the mechanics of that whippy action correct it's going to be very difficult to coach it into him.

Another one of the very best spells of Shoaib. Destroyed New Zealand at Basin Reserve, Wellington in 2003. Took 11/78 in the match, which Pak won helping them to win the series 1-0 in New Zealand.

Another one of the very best spells of Shoaib. Destroyed New Zealand at Basin Reserve, Wellington in 2003. Took 11/78 in the match, which Pak won helping them to win the series 1-0 in New Zealand.

Must say that Shoaib really loved bowling against NZ, lol. Whether it was in Pakistan or in NZ, he destroyed them.

Shane Bond announcing himself to the world in his 5th ODI with his first international five-for.

A few iffy shots from the Aussies, but a lot came down to being beaten for pace. The yorker to Gilchrist (third wicket) is just pure sex though.

EDIT: Been mentioned by many on this forum many times over the years but such a shame we didn't get to see so much of him on the international stage. Looking at home bowl, it isn't a particularly strenuous action (at least not in the context of someone bowling 150k's+ where there is always going to be some degree of strain) so it's hard to pinpoint what he could have done differently. It's not like, say, Shaun Tait who you can look at and know straight away he is going to have a rough time with his body. Unfortunately, in the case of Bond, I think it's just some guys are too susceptible to injury. He was every bit as good as Dale Steyn and could have easily sat alongside the likes of great quick bowlers like Marshall, Akram, Ambrose, Lille, Hadlee and co.

It's also a shame for Australian's that his only two tests against us were his very first two and - although I can't specifically remember his bowing from those tests - his performances would indicate a guy who was pretty nervous and overawed (1/135, 1/74 and 1/80). His ODI performances against Australia (44 wkts at 15.8) and India (12 at 16.8) indicate someone that had no problem stepping up against top quality opposition.

Last edited:
Shane Bond announcing himself to the world in his 5th ODI with his first international five-for.

A few iffy shots from the Aussies, but a lot came down to being beaten for pace. The yorker to Gilchrist (third wicket) is just pure sex though.

EDIT: Been mentioned by many on this forum many times over the years but such a shame we didn't get to see so much of him on the international stage. Looking at home bowl, it isn't a particularly strenuous action (at least not in the context of someone bowling 150k's+ where there is always going to be some degree of strain) so it's hard to pinpoint what he could have done differently. It's not like, say, Shaun Tait who you can look at and know straight away he is going to have a rough time with his body. Unfortunately, in the case of Bond, I think it's just some guys are too susceptible to injury. He was every bit as good as Dale Steyn and could have easily sat alongside the likes of great quick bowlers like Marshall, Akram, Ambrose, Lille, Hadlee and co.

It's also a shame for Australian's that his only two tests against us were his very first two and - although I can't specifically remember his bowing from those tests - his performances would indicate a guy who was pretty nervous and overawed (1/135, 1/74 and 1/80). His ODI performances against Australia (44 wkts at 15.8) and India (12 at 16.8) indicate someone that had no problem stepping up against top quality opposition.

He was simply gorgeous to watch.

Even the Martyn wicket, which was thumped, had a whiff of ‘wow this guy is quicker than I thought’ about it as it’s a half volley played off the back foot and his weight going away from the ball. Agree he had all the tools to be as good as Steyn and seeing those two go head to head for a decade is one of the great missed opportunities in cricket

He was simply gorgeous to watch.
Yep - like I said, bowling 150+ will put huge stress on your body no matter what, but relatively speaking his action was pretty bloody smooth. No reason to look at him and think he'd be ****ed by injury.

This one is probably only remembered by those who were there but the Adelaide Test against NZ in 1987/88 was stinking hot and on a flat pitch. Andrew Jones and Martin Crowe both got hundreds and Billy McDermott was absolutely flogged by AB but he just kept running in over after over. He got a few in the end but boy did he earn them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back