Great fast bowling spells

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I do remember the ABC had cricket on in early 1980's when I would watch the cricket from England. Channel Nine seem to do only the Tests in Australia. Maybe the 1989 Ashes Series in England did it change a bit. Was not until 1990's that we saw any cricket from outside of Australia or England. First series I recall of seeing from West Indies was 1991 tour and then when South Africa came in, that also started to be covered by channel 9.
Things like 1986 Tied Test in India were not shown on tv at all. I think even the 1987 World Cup over there was barely covered on tv. Maybe they showed the final if we were lucky.

90-91 ashes was on the abc it’s one of my earliest cricket memories

Michael Holding's 14 wickets versus England at The Oval in 1976. I included the first clip which shows Holding's first innings (8-92) as the lighting seems to be brighter at the beginning of the second clip which shows all 14 wickets.

More of Holding from the 1976 series. No wickets here but it's obvious why Brian Close called his autobiography "I Don't Bruise Easily". If you study the replay of the second delivery in this clip it looks as though the ball ricochets off the back of Close's head.

I love it. Must have been fastest era of bowling with Thommo and Holding around this time. Wish I was watching cricket in mid 70's to see it all.

Mikey getting some of his own medicine from Thommo in their time.
Amuses me he looks back at stumps to check what they look like..
he should know better than to look, only makes you feel worse.

I love it. Must have been fastest era of bowling with Thommo and Holding around this time. Wish I was watching cricket in mid 70's to see it all.

Holding made it look so easy. He just lopes in but he's moving very fast.

He is my favourite bowler of all time, though I have a soft spot for Johnson due to his mental frailties that he could overcome from time to time.

Holding made it look so easy. He just lopes in but he's moving very fast.

He is my favourite bowler of all time, though I have a soft spot for Johnson due to his mental frailties that he could overcome from time to time.
Holding has my favourite run up of all time and my favourite accent.
He'd be in my top 5 bowlers I seen and probably second quickest I seen.
Johnson might be in my top 20, not sure. He does not come to mind readily when think of best bowlers I seen. Like Starc when he off his game he actually was really poor. But his best was top notch stuff too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad Mitch really was a sight for sore eyes.

I think bowlers like that probably suffer a bit extra through their reputation because batsmen have the whole ‘this guy will give me some dross so I will
Belt it’ attitude.

At all levels of cricket this happens. You get bowlers who have that reputation of ‘he can bowl a good ball but he will give you plenty to hit’ and it becomes a bit self fulfilling and batsmen start to target them

Holding has my favourite run up of all time and my favourite accent.
He'd be in my top 5 bowlers I seen and probably second quickest I seen.
Johnson might be in my top 20, not sure. He does not come to mind readily when think of best bowlers I seen. Like Starc when he off his game he actually was really poor. But his best was top notch stuff too.

I'd not consider Johnson the best by any means, possibly not even in the top 20 as you say, but I really liked watching him bat, bowl and field as you never knew when the superstar was going to appear.

I'd not consider Johnson the best by any means, possibly not even in the top 20 as you say, but I really liked watching him bat, bowl and field as you never knew when the superstar was going to appear.
yeah, he was an entertainer and if he wanted to be an allrounder he probably could have been. But then we probably would have missed the height of his 12 to 18 months of stellar bowling.

6/43 from Fanie De Villiers to win South Africa the test from nowhere. Also took 10 wickets for the match.

As a side note, Warne took 12 wickets for the match in a losing side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

6/43 from Fanie De Villiers to win South Africa the test from nowhere. Also took 10 wickets for the match.

and Martyn ****ed up big time. Remember being so angry with him when batting with Craig McDermott and McDermott seemed to have to need to try to push things and Martyn was in his shell and creating more pressure on the team.

For all of Australian's brilliance in the 90's and early 2000's we lost a fair amount of close ones. Straight off the top of my head there is the Adelaide 93 test, Sydney v South Africa, Pakistan passing us 9-down putting on 40 or 50 for the last wicket, ~8 runs v England with Steve Waugh not out that he copped a lot of heat for, The Kasprowicz dismissal in 2005, India passed us 8-down in that crazy 2001 series. That's half a dozen there. Bound to be a couple of other I missed.

Can't remember us winning too many 8 or 9 down, or by less than ~20 runs?

I'll dig up CricInfo later on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vinniger Fanie, best he ever bowled.

Not just the best West Indian fast bowler, but probably the best ever, and he could bat too.

His very quick illness related demise is one of the saddest stories in sport.

If not the best ever, he's in the top 3. DK Lillee holds top spot for me but by a bee's dick to Marshall and Ambrose.

Shane Bond announcing himself to the world in his 5th ODI with his first international five-for.

A few iffy shots from the Aussies, but a lot came down to being beaten for pace. The yorker to Gilchrist (third wicket) is just pure sex though.

EDIT: Been mentioned by many on this forum many times over the years but such a shame we didn't get to see so much of him on the international stage. Looking at home bowl, it isn't a particularly strenuous action (at least not in the context of someone bowling 150k's+ where there is always going to be some degree of strain) so it's hard to pinpoint what he could have done differently. It's not like, say, Shaun Tait who you can look at and know straight away he is going to have a rough time with his body. Unfortunately, in the case of Bond, I think it's just some guys are too susceptible to injury. He was every bit as good as Dale Steyn and could have easily sat alongside the likes of great quick bowlers like Marshall, Akram, Ambrose, Lille, Hadlee and co.

It's also a shame for Australian's that his only two tests against us were his very first two and - although I can't specifically remember his bowing from those tests - his performances would indicate a guy who was pretty nervous and overawed (1/135, 1/74 and 1/80). His ODI performances against Australia (44 wkts at 15.8) and India (12 at 16.8) indicate someone that had no problem stepping up against top quality opposition.

Shane Bond was a jet.

His body stopped him from being an all-timer. Genuinely scary, very similar to Allan Donald with his searing pace, hostility and ability to put the ball on a line and length that made batting a nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back