Great grand final matchups we were robbed of

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles vs Geelong in 2007 would have been the same 100+ point smashing. Eagles were cooked by the end of that year. Its a shame for Cats fans it would have been sweet revenge for the 90s

A WC V FREO 2006 Grand Final could've been interesting if they managed to pinch that prelim against Sydney. Freo had the wood over us that year until about 2012. The Carr brothers loved a scrap too and there would be a focus on negating Cousins, Kerr and Judd.
A local derby grand final would have been massive

Would love to be in Perth in the week leading up to the game just for the atmosphere

oh man, a brisbane home gf for pergaps the only time ever, after breaking a 10 year losing streak a few weeks b4, would have been mouth watering
No doubt it would’ve been huge. First and only time Brisbane playing at home for the grand final in front of their home crowd.

And interestingly it would’ve been the first time they met at a grand final since 1944 which also wasn’t played at the MCG due to the MCG used as a military base for WWII.

Geelong v Collingwood.

Had they gone the extra week reckon the Pies would've been cooked. It's easy in hindsight to do these now because we've seen teams do it with the pre-finals bye but before then you just didn't win 4 finals in a row.

2001 Brisbane v Hawthorn

hawks just went down to dons with some horrid umpiring in the PF. Would have prob pushed the lions more than the dons did. For the best the hawks lost or we would never have gotten clarko.

WC v North 1994 the big one I reckon.
Essendon v North 1999 would’ve been good.

Bulldogs v Stk the 1997 the footy romantics dream an obvious one.

I reckon another Port v Brisbane GF in 02-03 would’ve been great too, they had some superb battles in those days.

Also another Hawks vs Geelong would’ve been good.

Richmond would have won by 10 goals.
That's not really our style. We more likely would have played out of our skins and then lost by a point. The only GF we've been smashed in recently was the 03 GF. Even the 2011 one was close for most of the game and only blew out once the game got beyond reach.

2019 not too sure both richmond and collingwood played in the gf both had a point to prove collingwood from the gf choke of 2018 and richmond and their choke in the prelim.

Not too sure if it was a sure thing richmond would win either.
I do feel Collingwood had more of a point to prove as more on thier shoulders then richmond besides the tigers won in 2017.
Collingwood would be up for it.
Thought the prelim v gws we were in the gf but the second half was a shocker and only ended up a goal short at the end.
Collingwood would have made it tough for richmond too in the gf.
Had richmond did not choke in 2018 they would not have won 2019 and 2020.
They had a point to prove.
Mr $7 million cost us that prelim. It took a ridiculous amount of time for him to realise tapping the ball directly to his feet at every ball up was leading to GWS clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also another Hawks vs Geelong would’ve been good
In 2016 would’ve been big.

Hawks going for a 4 peat and Geelong winning their 2nd under Chris Scott had the Hawks didn’t stuff up FW2.

At least the GF we got was good but it’s remembered for dodgy umpiring for neutrals unless you’re a Bulldogs fan.

Another Swans-Hawks decider in 2016 - the trilogy would get a mention.

We will be talking about where it ranks amongst the modern day rivalries had they met that year.
I think it would have been a let down. Hawks were on the decline and snuck into the top 4 off the back of winning 6 of 7 games decided by under 10 points. Their form wasn’t that convincing heading into the finals either.

I think the rivalry will still go down as one of the best, clearly the two best teams from 2012-2016, with the Buddy storyline thrown in, as well as having some great battles.

Agree, hawks form was poor in the 2016 finals. Though with all the champions in the team, if they had made it by soem lucky circumstance i cant help but think that the vets would have sput in one big final all in.

North Melbourne vs Fremantle 2015.

Tongue in cheek, but it's actually crazy to consider right now how close we came to that. Both sides had dominant periods and lead in their respective prelims.

I knew we'd easily account for West Coast considering how much trouble North gave them. Horrendously umpired game too from memory.

Eagles vs Geelong in 2007 would have been the same 100+ point smashing. Eagles were cooked by the end of that year. Its a shame for Cats fans it would have been sweet revenge for the 90s

The end came fast for them. At the start of that season I just assumed they’d storm to another flag. By the time we put the cleaners through them sometime around round 7(?) they were already running on fumes

North Melbourne vs Fremantle 2015.

Tongue in cheek, but it's actually crazy to consider right now how close we came to that. Both sides had dominant periods and lead in their respective prelims.

I knew we'd easily account for West Coast considering how much trouble North gave them. Horrendously umpired game too from memory.
yes it was.

at least if north had made it they would've been more competitive than wce, the game was done by half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back