Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how that Miandad stat continues to be so widely held by cricket followers of a certain age?

I reckon I've heard at least half a dozen people aged 50+ say it and a couple of them still not believe me when I corrected them with this exact page.
But it's correct that Bill Lawrie was never given out LBW in Austtalia;)

I don't know how that Miandad stat continues to be so widely held by cricket followers of a certain age?

I reckon I've heard at least half a dozen people aged 50+ say it and a couple of them still not believe me when I corrected them with this exact page.
Because we were brought up to believe that every other country's umpires were cheats, but not ours. Especially the sub-continental umpires (and players).

But it's correct that Bill Lawrie was never given out LBW in Austtalia;)
He was only out lbw 8 times in his career. It might be just as much that he was left handed, combined with the fact his career spanned the lowest % of lbws as a share of all dismissals for all test history post ww1 as opposed to egregious home umpiring.

I picked Bob Simson as a random contemporary comparison and found in the main part of his career he had 8 lbws. 4 away and 4 home. Then just in the two series he had in the WSC comeback in the late seventies he had 6! (Again evenly split).

Ok point taken.

I did read years ago that this was the case (that he had not been dismissed LBW in Pakistan).

Guess that article was wrong.

Ok point taken.

I did read years ago that this was the case (that he had not been dismissed LBW in Pakistan).

Guess that article was wrong.
There had to be something that said it as it's just so widely acknowledged as true.

The Western Australian women's cricket team prepare for a flight to the eastern states in 1967.

TAA.PNG

How many of you remember the jingle "Up, up and away with TAA the friendly, friendly way"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back