Great images in cricket.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
In contrast with an image just up the page of Bradman making a duck, here is the first ball Bradman faced in the Bodyline series. Trying to counteract England's bowling tactics, The Don walked across his stumps to a delivery from Bill Bowes and dragged the ball onto his stumps.

View attachment 936342
Village.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Does anyone know the earliest instance of cricketers souveniring stumps after a game?

Here are some New Zealanders grabbing the stumps after their first ever win in Test cricket versus West Indies in 1956.

View attachment 791399

Here is an even earlier instance of Don Tallon grabbing the stumps on the 1948 Invincibles tour.

View attachment 791402

I asked about players souveniring stumps on page 12. On Charles Davis' website http://www.sportstats.com.au/bloghome.html he has recently posted this story:

We’ve all seen the old films of players rushing to souvenir stumps when a Test match finished. In the 5th Test of 1946-47, Keith Miller went one better. Three runs were needed to win when Colin McCool drove a ball from Dennis Compton. They ran two, and with an easy third run on offer, Miller seized one of the stumps at the bowler’s end. With the ball still in play, Miller ran the winning run with stump in hand. Miller handed the stump to Compton as they left the field.

20200929_202748.jpg

You can see why Laker got 19 and Lock was so bitter.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Found some shots of Fred Spofforth's bowling going through trove (haven't seen any of him bowling before):

Spofforth_bowling_his_quick_ball.png

Spofforth_bowling_fast_ball_disguised_as_a_slower_ball.png

Spofforth%27s_follow-through_on_a_fast_delivery.png
Made me think of an interesting article I read a few months back on Fred Spofforth. The article itself is from Wisden 1926 which is when he died.

I should imagine that the nickname of Demon arose from the terrifying aspect of his final bound at the wicket when delivering the ball – long lean arms whirling through the air from a commanding height, and a long stride coming down with great force and damaging effect on a very awkward spot for a breaking-back ball bowled from the other end. The long arms seemed to be whirling round at much the same speed whether the ball was coming fast or slow, and he had practised these disguises of pace to great perfection.

The "final bound at the wicket" fits in beautifully with the first picture of your post. I imagine in the mid to late 1800's this was a very unique way of delivering the ball.

Fun fact about Spofforth. In his post playing days he moved to England and uncovered what probably would have been one of crickets earliest cases of fraud and corruption in regards to financial irregularities surrounding Derbyshire CCC.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I noticed this photo in a magazine I own which is a benefit programme for former Pakistani player Intikhab Alam. This photo accompanied a tribute written by Geoff Boycott, but it had no caption. I was trying to work out who all these players with pipes are. I can see Tony Greig second from left. Seeing as Geoff Boycott wrote the tribute I think it might be Boycott on Greig's left. Leaning on Boycott's shoulder looks a bit like Terry Jenner but I am not 100 percent convinced it is him. I have no idea who the next player is, but the last two are definitely Bob Taylor and Intikhab Alam. Can anyone identify all these cricketers?

pipes.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
I noticed this photo in a magazine I own which is a benefit programme for former Pakistani player Intikhab Alam. This photo accompanied a tribute written by Geoff Boycott, but it had no caption. I was trying to work out who all these players with pipes are. I can see Tony Greig second from left. Seeing as Geoff Boycott wrote the tribute I think it might be Boycott on Greig's left. Leaning on Boycott's shoulder looks a bit like Terry Jenner but I am not 100 percent convinced it is him. I have no idea who the next player is, but the last two are definitely Bob Taylor and Intikhab Alam. Can anyone identify all these cricketers?

View attachment 1014871
Tall fella is Pat Pocock I reckon.

A few photos of my favourite cricketer from when I was a kid, Clive Lloyd.

1608111973320.png

1608112032250.png

1608112080736.png

1608112121076.png

1608112248520.png

Growing up I loved watching 'Supercat' play, as a batsmen he was a wonderful mix of power and grace and he used that massively heavy bat with three or four grips. By the time I was old enough his back problem reduced him to a slips fieldsmen but before that he was one of the finest cover fieldsmen of the era.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
View attachment 1031072

My favourite cricketer Victor Trumper, in full flight, photographed at The Oval in 1905.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I highly recommend Gideon Haigh's book Stroke Of Genius, which is essentially about this photograph.

Just before its publication, I bumped into GH on North Terrace, Adelaide and had a brief chat with him. Nice bloke and very approachable.

Back