Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

220981.jpg

Surrey vs Hampshire - The Oval, 13th May 1922
Percy Fender, the Surrey Captain, was in remarkable form and scored 185 runs, when he caught by Stephen Fry, son of the famous Charles Burgess (CB) Fry.

I came across this image when reading an article about dubious stats in sports. Percy Fender holds the joint record for fastest first class century in terms of minutes at the crease which he achieved in 1920. He held it for 63 years on his own until Steve O'Shaughnessy (you've probably heard the name because he is now an umpire) equalled it in even more dubious fashion in 1983.

Four days after his 28th birthday, the inimitable PGH Fender scored the fastest authentic first-class century in terms of time spent at the crease: 35 minutes for Surrey v Northants in Northampton in 1920. Steve O'Shaughnessy, a Lancashire tailender, equalled his record in 1983. Slim and moustachioed, Fender captained Surrey imaginatively throughout most of the 1920s, and in many people's opinion should have done the job for England instead of playing in only 13 Tests.

An unusual incident occurred on 13 September 1983, the last day of the 1983 County Championship season. Lancashire were playing Leicestershire, and rain had delayed the start of play by a day and a half. On the final afternoon, facing an attack consisting of David Gower (9–0–102–0) and James Whitaker (8–1–87–0), Lancashire openers Graeme Fowler and O'Shaughnessy both scored centuries: Fowler's in 46 minutes and O'Shaughnessy's in 35.[11] This performance won O'Shaughnessy the Walter Lawrence Trophy for the fastest century of the season, despite its contrived circumstances, and equalled Percy Fender's 1920 record. Fender himself, by then 91 years old and blind, sent O'Shaughnessy a telegram: "Congratulations on equalling my 63-year-old record. Fender" and the two men met a few days later at Fender's home in Horsham.

The two men together

Fastest-Century-equalled-Percy-Fender-and-Steve-OShaughnessy_no-caption-500x438.jpg

Last edited:

Manchester United and Northern Ireland's George Best, one of the greatest footballers of all time, and the first celebrity footballer playing cricket with local kids in 1965.

a2b49d61ad497bfa5e6d7c7d7e0c3d48.png

On the topic of cricket and English football mixing up here is a picture of Ian Botham when he had a brief career as a professional footballer. He is playing for Scampaignerhorpe United here who he joined from Yeovil Town previously. He only scored once in twenty eight appearances but whenever he was available to play there was a higher than usual crowd attendance.

D--nNR6X4AM74kl.jpg

Manchester United and Northern Ireland's George Best, one of the greatest footballers of all time, and the first celebrity footballer playing cricket with local kids in 1965.

a2b49d61ad497bfa5e6d7c7d7e0c3d48.png

On the topic of cricket and English football mixing up here is a picture of Ian Botham when he had a brief career as a professional footballer. He is playing for Scampaignerhorpe United here who he joined from Yeovil Town previously. He only scored once in twenty eight appearances but whenever he was available to play there was a higher than usual crowd attendance.

D--nNR6X4AM74kl.jpg
Good trivia question that one, name the three Scampaignerhorpe FC players to captain England?
Keegan, Clemence andBotham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just finished reading Ashley Mallett's biography of Neil Harvey. Sadly Ashley passed away a few months ago - a fine player in his own right and a great cricket writer. Neil is still with us and is 93 years old. A legendary player and the last surviving member of Bradman's Invincibles. These two pictures were taken two years after that famous tour in the lane next to his childhood home where he plays and guides local kids in the same area he grew up playing the game. Who knows what became of those kids and whether they are still alive but I always get a nice feeling from photos like this. Never forget where you came from.

116696d91d65bedc09faf4eca197ec1d.png

d544106a6698b041579892b88d216b4eae2d2231

A couple of photos of the only Pom I've ever liked, David Gower. The most elegant batsmen I've ever seen.
And a great sense of humour to boot.

"England were having a miserable tour, 2-0 down after three Tests, when the team lobbed on the Gold Coast for a match against Queensland. On the third day of their only first-class win of the tour, Morris had completed a century and been dismissed soon after Gower and just before lunch.

The pair disappeared at the break to a nearby airstrip, without permission from team officials.

Gower requested the pilot of their vintage Tiger Moth fly low over Carrara Oval and Allan Lamb, who was in on the stunt, pretended to shoot them down with his bat.

When confronted by captain Graham Gooch, Gower tried to play it down but the officials were furious.

A disciplinary panel thought of sending them home before handing out £1000 fines to each player.

"That was a good bit of fun," Gower said, recalling the stunt.

"The only shame was our management failed to see the funny side and had the most horrendous over-reaction.

"For all of that I'd do it again!"

Story here.

GowerMorris_2951344.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1305035

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker
This is an interesting picture.

I remember seeing it as a kid and was told by my Grandfather that he recalled seeing 2 games being played simultaneously on each pitch at each end of the ground. One would assume that it would have been a cricket carnival or maybe even training sessions by different teams?

The Tied Test - Australia vs West Indies 1960/61

The run out that tied the test

9745ab995f43b71c79f7c8c197d4c6a6

Captains Richard Benaud and Frank Worrell sharing the trophy

Uc4OEkf0Qf_W5Dik0WVnXlwc6fWtzLh-kvPZgQH0ULsva8tTRMcoLA0fVpnpgM67sA=s1200

With Don Bradman who was serving as Chairman of the the Australian Cricket Board

el5zfPaqurVG6DbcxiNno4nacoisp3uQd0oml09n3jAIN-uf4SfPzbSsNMPFEAur9w=s1200

People in Melbourne coming out in appreciation of the West Indies team after the match and before they departed for home. They lost the five match series 2-1 but captured the hearts of the public.

55674.jpg

210289.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back