Great Long-form Articles

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest article on money and economics by anthropologist David Graebner:

This is nearly 20 years old from that leftie internet bulwark CounterPunch. Its for Hojuman specifically and gives some paranoid background to the whole saga of the TV show Wormwood.

Article said:
All of a sudden, a dozen or so reporters and camera operators noticed a man marching around with a huge Nazi flag that trailed behind him, aloft, like a cape. They started running—actually running—after him. The guy with the Nazi flag kept walking but slowed his pace to let them catch up, then turned around to face the cameras at exactly the moment they were upon him. The choreography was as precise as a ballet.

Article said:
Murder marketplaces may force us to reexamine—and redefine—what constitutes criminal intent. Though judgments have been somewhat inconsistent, courts seem to regard making a payment of any amount as proof that the desire for harm is sincere. David Crichton, a doctor in the United Kingdom, was acquitted of attempted-murder charges after ordering a hit on a financial adviser who’d lost most of his pension, because he had never transferred any money to Yura. In court, Crichton claimed he had been trying to “clear his head” of his own suicidal thoughts, and that he’d never really wanted the killing to happen.

That was good.

Lots there I agree with (tho I've never watched Queer Eye and would never have read Peterson's schtick without it being posted here). Not much I disagree with. I also like the way the author subtly referenced some very good songs and the whole article actually reminded me of one of my all time favourites.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
None but ourselves can free our minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think exercise 9 has a typo and he means exercise number 10, not number 11 ... and he could be having a laugh. He does that. IE This is a stupid pointless exercise - practising levitation - do it until you figure out its a pointless stupid exercise then stop doing it. Which will be when you learn enough about independence/become bored or frustrated enough to make your own decisions - then you do exercise 10 which is:

Believe that you can exceed all your previous ambitions and hopes in all areas of your life.

Which is just an exercise in positive thinking.

Its a trick some gurus used with people who believed in them too much. Just give them more and more ridiculous jobs to do, pointless and embarrassing exercises to practice and generally give them sh*t till they eventually start questioning the guru they basically worship and start thinking for themselves.

Of course it doesn't always work with people. Some people love their chains and the idea someone, somewhere knows more about reality than them. (Tho this is handy if you're a guru cos we all need to get money from somewhere.)

Exercise 8 is just trying to see if you can see that Thinker/Prover process in other people. For instance look at the way we all carry on in the Random Thoughts shitfight thread.

If you can see it in others but can't in yourself perhaps try and extrapolate from other people's behaviour and catch yourself doing it.

Also if you can observe your own reactions try and see if they are different when you observe your friends or strangers. Perhaps you know someone and (think you) know the way they think. For example Tef and his constant all SJWs are Lonney Tunes doomed to fail schtick. Its obvious but perhaps our own biases aren't as obvious too us so how is what we do similar to that "all SJWs are doomed" thing?

No doubt that's made it all heaps less clear.

I don't think you have to understand the exercises as such. If you do them and observe yourself and your reactions to them you'll learn about yourself and how you see the world and maybe get a better handle on your biases.
Examining my own confirmation bias and confronting has been one of life’s great challenges. It is similar to confronting anxiety and your own perception of the world, which is very confronting.

Now and again I observe my reactions and when I am just feeding my own bias and it is generally confronting during the initial stages.

I missed this last year cos I was fighting fires when you posted it.

Graeber was great. He died earlier this year in Italy, tho apparently not from COVID. Although its all a bit iffy. I posted his short but succinct (and imo required reading) book Debt. The First 5000 Years in the random chat thread a few months ago. I don't think anyone looked at it except DesertRoo.

Aanyway halfway thru and its top stuff. Wish Graeber was still around. We need minds like his right now.

Upgraded the like to a love. This is possibly the best article in the thread.

Tef would love this. Might be the last thing Graeber wrote. A brilliant analysis of UK politics during Brexit.

Examining my own confirmation bias and confronting has been one of life’s great challenges. It is similar to confronting anxiety and your own perception of the world, which is very confronting.

Now and again I observe my reactions and when I am just feeding my own bias and it is generally confronting during the initial stages.
At least you're doing it. Top effort.

Its a never ending task doomed to endless failures. I think we are genetically programmed toward biases. They might not be accurate but they probably keep you alive long enough to breed. See that's one of mine at the moment - perception is flawed and doesnt accurately describe realirty, just enough of reality to pass on your genes. (The others are probably obvious.) Its hard to argue with, like all biases.:drunk:

Its one of those things you just have to keep plugging away at. To quote Killing Joke: The struggle is long, the struggle is hard, the struggle is beautiful.

(And I hope I'm not the only one to think Jaz Coleman, who wrote that, calls his willy "The Struggle.":D:D:eek:)

2001 article - Great read in light of the recent GME blowup by wallstreetbets

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back