Great moments in cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the best bits of play, great finishes, or amazing results. What are some highlights everyone should see?

Starting with this one:

It would barely raise an eyebrow now but in the era where Viv Richards’ 183 and 189 stuck out like dogs balls in ODI cricket, I can remember Robin Smiths 167 in the 1993 series against Australia - it came in a team score of 277 off 60 overs. Smith went from 50 off 91, then scored 117 off his next 62 balls. The rest of the team managed 110 off 197 deliveries.

Outside of someone like Viv, innings like that just didn’t happen. Especially when your team is 3-30

It would barely raise an eyebrow now but in the era where Viv Richards’ 183 and 189 stuck out like dogs balls in ODI cricket, I can remember Robin Smiths 167 in the 1993 series against Australia - it came in a team score of 277 off 60 overs. Smith went from 50 off 91, then scored 117 off his next 62 balls. The rest of the team managed 110 off 197 deliveries.

Outside of someone like Viv, innings like that just didn’t happen. Especially when your team is 3-30

Alan Border making 98 n/o and 100 n/o against the West Indies in 1984 to save the game. In the West Indies, against Marshall, Garner and Daniels, Border batted in total for 639 minutes, not going out once. Marshall later said that it was an injustice Border did not make 2 centuries in the match. Remarkable concentration, stamina and courage shown by Border.

Alan Border making 98 n/o and 100 n/o against the West Indies in 1984 to save the game. In the West Indies, against Marshall, Garner and Daniels, Border batted in total for 639 minutes, not going out once. Marshall later said that it was an injustice Border did not make 2 centuries in the match. Remarkable concentration, stamina and courage shown by Border.

My former editor had a long career in Sydney first grade and nsw second xi cricket and showed up to a game once where Wayne Daniel was opening for the opposition. He lost a coin toss to Trevor Bayliss for the right to face him first.

‘All I saw was a red flash halfway down the pitch, I shut my eyes and swung. Flew off the top edge out of the ground. I was back in the pavilion a few balls later.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My former editor had a long career in Sydney first grade and nsw second xi cricket and showed up to a game once where Wayne Daniel was opening for the opposition. He lost a coin toss to Trevor Bayliss for the right to face him first.

‘All I saw was a red flash halfway down the pitch, I shut my eyes and swung. Flew off the top edge out of the ground. I was back in the pavilion a few balls later.’
Born in the wrong era for a West Indian quickie, only played ten tests because of all of the other speedstars the Windies had. Daniel was lightning quick. Nice story. My mate knew this guy who play subdistrict cricket in Melbourne. Malcolm Marshall was playing and this guy opened the batting against him. First nut Marshall bowled this guy wandered down to his partner and said something like "That was not that quick, I think I can handle it. " Marshall heard what he said and a wry smile came over his face. He came in the next ball and let it rip about twice as fast. The stumps went flying out of the ground and as the batsmen was walking off, Marshall said to him something like " Hey man, was that fast enough for you? "

Last edited:

and the bats so different and boundaries in Australia usually had a fence, not a rope.
such different conditions of playing. Can only compare from same conditions of the time really.
Strategically it also changed greatly in 1996 when Sri Lankan were the first team to make use of the field restrictions in first 15 overs meant it was the best time to make hay, whilst the sun shined, so to speak.

and the bats so different and boundaries in Australia usually had a fence, not a rope.
such different conditions of playing. Can only compare from same conditions of the time really.
Strategically it also changed greatly in 1996 when Sri Lankan were the first team to make use of the field restrictions in first 15 overs meant it was the best time to make hay, whilst the sun shined, so to speak.

Mark Greatbatch gets sorely undervalued in that regard. He teed off in the 1992 World Cup in those first 15 overs as well and played a big part in Nz’s success along with Dipak Patel bowling with the new ball

Mark Greatbatch gets sorely undervalued in that regard. He teed off in the 1992 World Cup in those first 15 overs as well and played a big part in Nz’s success along with Dipak Patel bowling with the new ball
From memory he wasn't in the Kiwis initial squad because not unreasonably he was considered an absolute crab and then when he came in for an injury completely shocked with the way he played.

Steve Waugh's last century at the SCG is something special.

Gilly's quickest 100.

Warne's 700th wicket at the MCG

McGrath (and Gillespie) reach 50 against NZ

Steve Harmisons first ball wide to second slip

They're probably the five most vivid events I remember as a kid where I was and what I was doing that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back