Great moments in Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games and World Championships history

Remove this Banner Ad

Much appreciated mate, a workmanlike job. Do you know if there's any chance of some sort of bot being developed which auto changes every old Youtube tag to the new one? It would be a shame to lose some great threads because of the changeover.
I'm no technohead but I remember reading very early on in the Xen days that it is possible to do something like that. It'd also be good for the CODE boxes. I'll make a request.

The 1968 Mexico City marathon was won by Mamo Wolde of Ethiopia, caring on the Ethiopian tradition of Abebe Bikila, who won in Rome in 1960 running without shoes, then backed it up in Tokyo this time wearing shoes.

But an hour after Wolde won John Akhwari of Tanzania entered the stadium. He had had a fall hurt his knee and was bloodied and bandged and in great pain. When asked why he kept running he said " My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race, they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."

From one of Bud Greenspan's great Olympic films/docos he made in the 1970's and 1980's.

A never before, never again moment. One of my favourite athletes of all time Alberto Juantorena from Cuba becames the first athlete to win the 800m + 400m double ( in that order). He was the first ever Cuban to win a gold medal at athletics. He was called white lightning. He had such a great stride and with those long socks he looked like a gazelle.

The famous British caller Dave Coleman who calls both the races in the video, in the replay of the 800m when he gets to the home straight is reported to have said - Juantorena just opened his legs wide and showed us all his class.

September 25th 2000 I was extremely lucky to be sitting about 10m past the finish line on level 4 at the Olympic Stadium and it was the night that
1. Freeman won gold,
2. Michael Johnson became the first man to win back to back 400m 1/2 an hour after Freeman and it was like the race after the Melbourne Cup for so many people,
3. Tatiana was vaulting for gold,
4. Johnathon Edwards was getting redemption for his disaster in Atlanta in the triple jump,
5. Maria Mutola won the 800m after her 4th attempt,
6. In the discuss Alenka finally won after so many minor medals
7. the Cuban Ortiz stunned the 3 Americans including defending champion Allen Johnson and world record holder Colin Jackson in the 110m Hurdle,
8. the greatest ever female distance race saw dual world champ at 5,000m Gabriella Szabo of Romania hold off Ireland's Sonia Sullivan who trained in Oz in the Euro offseason, by 0:23

but the race of the night and of the Olympics for me, on probably the greatest night of Olympic athletics was the 10,000m when the Kenyans team ran against Haile Gebrsellassie and the Ethiopians and Paul Tergat gave everything he had to knock off the Emperor but some how the Emperor kept his crown and won by 0:09 when the 100m margin by Green over Bolton was 0:12.

A video of Bruce's great call.

Olympic Games - Matthew Mitcham's final dive. Greatest single dive in any major diving event, made all the more special as it pinched gold coming from 32 points behind.

Commonwealth Games - Although I wasn't alive at the time the 1954 "Miracle mile" of Landy v Bannister

World Championships - Steve Hooker 2009 with a strain muscle and knowing he could only make one or two jumps sat out until 5.85m failed first attempt raised bar to 5.90m and cleared it first time. Was an all or nothing effort were failure meant finishing last.

I remember coming home drunk as piss and seeing what was on t.v and I saw Cadel win the WC road race, was fantastic.

September 25th 2000 I was extremely lucky to be sitting about 10m past the finish line on level 4 at the Olympic Stadium and it was the night that
1. Freeman won gold,
2. Michael Johnson became the first man to win back to back 400m 1/2 an hour after Freeman and it was like the race after the Melbourne Cup for so many people,
3. Tatiana was vaulting for gold,
4. Johnathon Edwards was getting redemption for his disaster in Atlanta in the triple jump,
5. Maria Mutola won the 800m after her 4th attempt,
6. In the discuss Alenka finally won after so many minor medals
7. the Cuban Ortiz stunned the 3 Americans including defending champion Allen Johnson and world record holder Colin Jackson in the 110m Hurdle,
8. the greatest ever female distance race saw dual world champ at 5,000m Gabriella Szabo of Romania hold off Ireland's Sonia Sullivan who trained in Oz in the Euro offseason, by 0:23

but the race of the night and of the Olympics for me, on probably the greatest night of Olympic athletics was the 10,000m when the Kenyans team ran against Haile Gebrsellassie and the Ethiopians and Paul Tergat gave everything he had to knock off the Emperor but some how the Emperor kept his crown and won by 0:09 when the 100m margin by Green over Bolton was 0:12.

A video of Bruce's great call.

Was there that night. Top level, about half way down the front straight.
F*cking unbelieveable.

IIRC a lot of people left after Cathy's medal presentation. Other than her race, I don't recall there being much atmosphere (at least not what you'd expect for 100,000 people) for most of the night. Sure there was excitment at times, but for the most part, I don't think people really knew what they were watching.

As for Johnson, I was a massive fan being a 200-400 runner myself at that time. I was there to see him just as much as Cathy. Awesome, but what I found just as impressive was the night before in the Semis, Johnson was just in cruise control down the home straight, looking around taking in the crowd, not a care in the world. Unbelievable athlete.

...Commonwealth Games - Although I wasn't alive at the time the 1954 "Miracle mile" of Landy v Bannister

Even though this was run in Canada, there was a massive audience in the USA as it was shown live across USA on TV stations nationwide and American Wes Santee who was one of the athletes trying to break the 4 minute barrier co-hosted in the US studios.

A cut and paste from the comment on the You Tube link.

A statue stands in Vancouver to commemorate its moment of highest drama, when John Landy looked back over his left shoulder just as Roger Bannister passed him on his right. Of that instant John Landy said, "When Lots wife looked back she was turned into a pillar of salt. When I looked back I was turned into a pillar of bronze!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back