Great Moments of Football Commentary

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
There's no restriction to what qualifies as great. If you enjoyed any moment of commentary in particular for whatever reason, share it. Shall it be the hilarity of the commentator's tone, a prolonged yell of the word 'goal', vocal blunders on live telecasts, commentary of memorable on-field events, or anything else you deem worthy - post it in here.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Both pieces of commentary, Sky in the UK and the one we got out here, for the Aguero title winning goal against QPR. I had no stake in teh game, but I remember being on the edge of my seat at about 330am texting my mates in utter disbelief at what I was watching.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Literally got tears in my eyes watching this

All you really need to know if you dont speak German is:

drei minuten noch - 3 minutes still
tor = goal
doch = yes

edit:
The background? Quarter finals of UCL. 0-1 loss away at Malaga. Went up 1-0 (1-1) in the first half, had about 5 shots from Goetze/Reus/Lewandowski saved, and then Malaga scored on a counter. 1-1 (1-2) with about 10 minutes to play.

And then this

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

Everything said during stoppage time.

Greatest footballing moment of my life and perhaps the most painful.

I was watching the game that morning in my lounge room where we have this light fixture that I was standing just under when the first goal went in and without thinking I punched the air in celebration which was possibly the stupidest thing I could have done. Fortunately for United and myself we scored a second goal. Unfortunate for my hand as it was punished a second time, incredibly.

Back