Autopsy Great moments ruined by shite commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast v Hawthorn at Subiaco, August 2015

Match of the season - the Hawks came from behind to win a thriller

Roughead gathered the ball inside the boundary line, drew two Eagles defenders towards him and then fired a 20m handball over their heads to Cyril who dished off quickly to Liam Shiels for a vital 4th quarter goal which put the Hawks in front for the first time in the game..

Brian Taylor's commentary of the entire passage of play:

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!!

THAT!

WAS!

OUT!!

OF!

BOUNDS!

AS SHIELS GOALS!

It wasn't out of bounds. The boundary ump was right on the spot and saw that the whole of the ball had not completely crossed the line. BT was confused by the parallax error and was seeing a gap between the ball and a spot on the boundary line about 3 metres to Roughie's left where the line curves away.

Just let the umps do their job, BT and you do your job. You goose....
It was well out of bounds.

It was well out of bounds.
No, it wasn't.

And even if the ball had completely crossed the line (which it hadn't), the boundary ump did not see it that way, so BT should've just called the action and then afterwards added his personal opinion that the ball may have crossed the line.

He ruined a great moment with his idiotic second guessing of a boundary ump who was in the perfect position to make the call

It's Brian Taylor's main weakness as a commentator - his pathological need to question & correct every single umpiring decision and manufacture controversy.

BT has now cost Tom Boyd and Charlie Cameron a legit shot at mark of the year. Completely undersold two beauties.

Also, this is by far the worst call of all time in my opinion. Could have been goal of the year had Hamish treated it with more enthusiasm than a regulation set shot from 15 out. One of the major reasons I cannot stand his commentary.

This commentary simultaneously wrecks a great individual goal but also makes it better. Dwayne Russell’s tone of resignation after a brilliant solo goal by the Bont against his boys in black teal and white

Clearly I’m in the minority but I have no idea what makes repeating the word 13 an iconic piece of commentary.

This - it is a horrible piece of commentary that belongs in the OP as one of the worst of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back