Opinion Great scenes in cinema/television

Remove this Banner Ad

bumping this one for a scene from a movie on netflix everyone should watch (but watch it in japanese with subtitles)

Ha, cool. What's the name of the film, LB?

When I think of my all-time favourite car chase scenes in movies, I find it very hard to go past my top two - the lengthy final section of Mad Max 2, and as completely ludicrous as the scene may be, this piece of cinematic greatness....

Ha, cool. What's the name of the film, LB?

When I think of my all-time favourite car chase scenes in movies, I find it very hard to go past my top two - the lengthy final section of Mad Max 2, and as completely ludicrous as the scene may be, this piece of cinematic greatness....

Great pick TOD! I think The Italian Job rates as one of my all time fave movie endings. Not to mention the awesome Self-Preservation Society song.

So I seem to be having a Spielberg retrograde these days. Not a car chase scene here, as much as an actual car (or truck, as it happens) chase movie. For finding the terrifying in normal every day stuff, it's pretty hard to go past Duel. This movie freaked me right out as a little kid. (Didn't help that our family car was a Valiant at one point too!)

One of my fave foot chase scenes (and more great music!) Couldn't find a clip containing the best part where the pack of dogs chases him through the house, but oh well.

Best jump clutch start scene

Best stealing a dead body scene

Best never leave a man behind scene (although Raising Arizona had a great one too)

And again, just awesome music in that film. Devotchka!:thumbsu:

So I seem to be having a Spielberg retrograde these days. Not a car chase scene here, as much as an actual car (or truck, as it happens) chase movie. For finding the terrifying in normal every day stuff, it's pretty hard to go past Duel. This movie freaked me right out as a little kid. (Didn't help that our family car was a Valiant at one point too!)

Love Duel a whole lot. Really cool film.

Fan of all those three you posted actually. Nice one.

And again, just awesome music in that film. Devotchka!:thumbsu:

As a Stang man myself, this is my favourite car chase scene:

Nice one 'Toes, and a great blending of the themes of Steve McQueen and car chases!

My very first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick. It went through various "possessions" - periods where it would start on its own, and a whole patch where you'd have to disconnect the solenoid just to get it to shut off, interspersed with the more mundane curses like having to just disconnect the battery to get the tail lights to go off, or enduring its bizarre penchant of peeling the top tank off of every radiator I put in it. I used to get horrified gas station attendants running out at me yelling stop, and waving their arms as I went to remove the cap from the steaming radiator. "It's okay!" I'd yell back, wrapping the towel around my hand for protection as I unscrewed it - "the leak is so big there's no pressure, and I have to have it running when I fill it or I'll crack the block!" And I was right. I learned that if I kept using the same gas station to fill it at on my way to Uni, they all got to know me and so stopped running out. I also learned that once you've robbed all the Mavericks and Comets in the wrecking yards of their radiators, you can then move on to Falcons.

Needless to say, I still have dubious feelings about Fords. My best friend in the early 90's, Esther, had a red 1968 Mustang convertible that you'd have loved though. (By that time I'd moved on to my very first "real" car - a 1971 Chevelle. I used to put all six of my dogs in it and take them to the beach. The car aficionado types were horrified.)

Esther's car was beautiful, and it probably could have done the scene from Bullitt no problem. But my own Ford experiences were a bit more like this -

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back