Autopsy Great to get another win! Pies beat North by 54 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

That was Etihad, the schrodinger ground, both too hard and too soft simultaneously.
Maybe at first they put too much rubber on the concrete and that made the dirt on the top go all squishy and then they took the rubber off to fix it but didn't put enough back on and now its too hard. What if they pressure inject more rubber into the dirt? You reckon that could fix it? Seems like the only logical explanation and course of action.

Maybe at first they put too much rubber on the concrete and that made the dirt on the top go all squishy and then they took the rubber off to fix it but didn't put enough back on and now its too hard. What if they pressure inject more rubber into the dirt? You reckon that could fix it? Seems like the only logical explanation and course of action.

The other option is to just blow the whole stadium up.

I was thinking turn it into one big bouncy castle.

My first trip to Etihad for a while, only went because a good mate follows North, crap game, good win, Crisp & Langdon look a good combo...$10.50 for a cup of mid strength is outrageous, my kids won't eat this week.

I paid $17 for a glass of wine last night at Etihad, in one of the general admission bars! They called in the 'premium pour'. Shocked to say the least.

I paid $17 for a glass of wine last night at Etihad, in one of the general admission bars! They called in the 'premium pour'. Shocked to say the least.

Did you get a line of coke with that?

Because it's psychosomatic, it's well known that there's a concrete deck below hence there's an assumption that the ground is harder as a result. However every compaction test conducted has put it well within the same compaction as other grounds.

Box hill for example has ground rock sitting around 600-900 depth within the suburb typically, but the hawks don't complain about hardness, because they probably don't know how shallow the rock is there. That's typically the case throughout Melbourne where rock is encountered at shallow depths.
Chicken and egg. Did the players knows this before they complained or after.

Would not accept any testing by AFL after the disaster that once was (? Colonial/Telstra) stadium, if you recall all the patchwork they did and the shifting turf.

Chicken and egg. Did the players knows this before they complained or after.

Would not accept any testing by AFL after the disaster that once was (? Colonial/Telstra) stadium, if you recall all the patchwork they did and the shifting turf.

The players know about the car park they use beneath the ground.

I do recall the shifting turf, so is it too hard or too soft.

Do you accept Melbourne uni? They have done testing on all stadiums including Etihad.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Bruzzy, but he kicks it directly to the opposition so much it's farcical.
Nah he doesn't really, but usually when he does it's so spectacularly bad that it sticks in the memory.

No myth. The proper way to construct the surface of a stadium like Etihad involves putting a layer of rubber over the concrete base to soften the surface and replicate a traditional sporting ground surface which is dirt, dirt, another layer of dirt and then some more dirt on the base of dirt.

They bypassed the rubber as a cost cutting measure when the stadium was constructed, resulting in a significantly harder surface.

Believe "they" was Mike Fitzpatrick's (Carlton /AFL sworn Cwood enemy) Hastings Funds Management who were heavily involved in the original Colonial Stadium

Legitimate rumour is eventually the AFL want a new stadium. As in this is why Eddie recently pitched his idea to the Vic Gov.

Problem with Etihad is it is configured worng. The poitioning of the roof means some parts do not get enough sun for the grass to take. Combined with a concrete base means the surface is like an ice skating ring or if you add sand to make it softer shifts the turf. They know it is stuffed and can't really be fixed.

The players know about the car park they use beneath the ground.

I do recall the shifting turf, so is it too hard or too soft.

Do you accept Melbourne uni? They have done testing on all stadiums including Etihad.
Wouldn't mind seeing what tests were conducted, when and what other grounds they compared against.

Legitimate rumour is eventually the AFL want a new stadium. As in this is why Eddie recently pitched his idea to the Vic Gov.

Problem with Etihad is it is configured worng. The poitioning of the roof means some parts do not get enough sun for the grass to take. Combined with a concrete base means the surface is like an ice skating ring or if you add sand to make it softer shifts the turf. They know it is stuffed and can't really be fixed.
Yeh that thing in Waverley

Hmmm fitted 77,000

Big vast ground, no ability to be too congested.

Owned outright by league.

Yeh let's get rid of that and build something

Ofcourse people made money, game suffered

Who is held to account?

Nah, let's just dole out bonuses

What a ridiculous game, by far the worst I've seen this season. But give me 10 goal bad wins any day than getting leapfrogged down the ground for easy goals.

Which leads me to this question for those at the game. Did we structure up differently this week with more numbers behind the ball because our back line looked well set up or was it norths ball movement was so bad that it allowed us to get back in numbers.

If it's that we set up a bit deeper defensively which in turn can lead to uglier games I'm ok with it because I can't handle all the Joe the Goose goals we concede each week.

Guess we'll find out this week against port as I think they are nearly our worst match up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back