Great VFL/SANFL/WAFL Comebacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though it was a reserves game, the best I know if is the South Fremantle v West Perth game played on June 30 1984. The scores at half time were SF 16.15.111 to WP 4.6.30. In the 2nd half WP scored 15.12 to SF 2.8 to come from 81 points down and win by 1 point. The scores are on the right hand side of the page attached.

Attachments

• 1984 15 July 5 23.jpg
    1984 15 July 5 23.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 148
Even though it was a reserves game, the best I know if is the South Fremantle v West Perth game played on June 30 1984. The scores at half time were SF 16.15.111 to WP 4.6.30. In the 2nd half WP scored 15.12 to SF 2.8 to come from 81 points down and win by 1 point. The scores are on the right hand side of the page attached.

Holy s**t that is bad.

What the hell happened?

Is it possible to get a breakdown of those quarter by quarter scores? I'm finding the print too small to read in that file.

Holy s**t that is bad.

What the hell happened?

Honestly I couldnt tell you. ALl I can put iot down to is SOuth stopped after thinking thet had it in the bag at half time. BY the time WP got close, they didnt have the energy or were shocked by what had happened to do anytning about it. MInd you kicking 2.8 in the last half didnt help.

Remarkably that was one week after this (almost) comeback by SF in the seniors: Perth led by 63 points at half time then kicked the first goal of the last quarter to lead South Fremantle 16.8 (104) to 5.5 (35). After that, the Bulldogs piled on 11.19 (85) to 3.5 (23) to fall just seven points short. Wonder if any members of that unsuccessful team were dropped to the reserves to experience the extra humiliation seven days later?

BTW, after that scare Perth (4-8) won just one more game in their last nine for the season and picked up the wooden spoon, four wins behind second-last. In the Grand Final that year, Swan Districts led by 64 points at quarter time but the lead was trimmed to 12 at half-time. Remarkable times.

South Launceston came back from 78 points to beat Clarence in a senior TFL match in 1994. The TFL during this time was good enough to beat SA, WA and the VFA in state footy during the 1990's, and Clarence was the best team most years...

My claim to fame is that I went to this game and went home at half time...every week, the same thing as South's kids and also rans would get belted, and Clarence were a seriously big star studded team we could never hope to beat, so I gave up and went home to mow the lawn...! Listened with a weird combination of dismay and joy to radio updates as they stormed home. South were 4-1 under new coach Dale Weightman early on, but then kept losing, winning only two more games for the season and watching Weightman walk out before the year was up...

The next year, North Launceston kicked 17 goals in the last quarter to nearly reach 300, and win by over 200 points...back to normal...

South played in the senior state league from 1986-97 and never made the finals, twice coming close but the rest of the time being absolute shite. They joined the second best Tassie league and won back to back. The TFL went into recess for a decade, then reformed as the TSL with South again in the lineup, and the first three years were the same old rubbish. Then a promising 2012. Then, a flag in 2013 - only ever played two finals in their history. By this time, financial issues saw them axed from the comp after 2013, and they went into the GF knowing this would be the last state league game for the Bulldogs. Nearly all the team signed on to play for a new franchise, the Western Storm, who made the GF in 2014 and beat West Adelaide in the Foxtel Cup. The next year, the Storm finished with a spoon, and that team folded. South meanwhile had won back to back in a league two levels down from the state league (which meant that in 2013-14-15 I got to celebrate threepeats with both my AFL side and my home state team), and the era is now pretty much over...losing to amateur sides these days...

And another match - in 1987, North Hobart were 30 points down in time-on of the last quarter, and kicked five goals to beat Sandy Bay...

I remember a VFA game in the early 1990s played between Werribee Tigers and Oakleigh Devils, where Oakleigh were leading by about 8 goals close to half time, only for the Tigers not only to come from behind to catch them, but run away with the game to defeat the Devils by around 8 goals.

There was another VFA game in 1992 where Coburg trailed Port Melbourne by about 4 goals at three quarter time, before the Lions kicked 13 goals to 2 in the final term to win by about 50 points.

WP 2.4 4.6 11.14 19.18 (132)
SF 7.5 16.15 17.21 18.23 (131)

What is it with South Fremantle and West Perth and weird scoring games?

In 1975, West Perth (red & blue) demolished South Fremantle (red & white) by 104-points in the WAFL Grand Final, a record winning margin in a GF that stands to this day. In something of a coincidence, the NSWRL Grand Final that year saw Eastern Suburbs Roosters (blue & red) thrash St George Dragons (red & white) 38 points to 0.

In 1981, South Fremantle thrashed West Perth by 180-points in the final round, but earlier in the season West Perth had beaten East Fremantle by 178 points, but with the Falcons losing to the Sharks by 74 & 46 points in their other meetings. Then when West Perth and South Fremantle next met early in the 1982 season, the Falcons kicked 30 goals to beat the Bulldogs by over 100 points.

Strangest of all was 1987, where West Perth beat South Fremantle by 210 points, the only time a WAFL side has lost by more than 200 points outside of the wartime underage competitions. South Fremantle did finish last that year, losing their last 18 matches after winning their first 3. However the Bulldogs were competitive in most other games, and did not lose any other matches by 100 points or more, while West Perth were a mid ladder side. At the time of this game in June 1987, the Falcons and Bulldogs were 5th & 6th with 4-5 & 3-6 records, and the week after West Perth suffered a 306-point turnaround when Claremont belted them by 96-points. South Fremantle had beaten West Perth in their previous encounter, and their next match was a thriller, the result in doubt to the very end.

1945 SANFL Grand Final

Port Adelaide burst out of the blocks with a blistering first quarter curtesy of Bob Quinn and Haydn Bunton Sr in the middle.

At the end of the first quarter the score was 8.3 (51) to 2.7 (19)

West Torrens would fight back and take the lead the following quarter...

...Ah it would've been nice to have Haydn Bunton as a premiership player.

Alas.

South Launceston came back from 78 points to beat Clarence in a senior TFL match in 1994. The TFL during this time was good enough to beat SA, WA and the VFA in state footy during the 1990's, and Clarence was the best team most years...

Have just looked at the final match scores for this 1994 game on Wikipedia. The attendance given is 666, obviously a bad omen for Clarence. What were the quarter by quarter scores for this game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South 2.5, 4.5, 13.8, 19.10 (124)
Clarence 8.4, 15.12, 16.14, 17.17 (119)

73 points at half time. A point to South, a goal to Clarence, and then 15.4 goals to 1.5...

South are the Bulldogs, by the way...always mirroring Footscray's jumper, until 2014, when they went back to the post 1996 AFL jumper with the sideways dog logo on the front...

There was a SANFL night match played in the 80's where Glenelg came back from 59 points down at 3/4 time to win by a point (from memory it was against Sturt)

The whole quarter was on YouTube a few years ago, I remember watching it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back