Great Vocalists

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly think Glenn Danzig has the best voice, even in his old age (see below), the range within a sung line.

Ian Astbury from the Cult also has an amazing voice most evident in the latter Cult albums.

Some great singers like Cornell or Vedder etc have a distinct voice and it sounds great, but they dont have the range to deeper emote the ups and downs within a single sung line, like Danzig etc can do.

This is another great display of singing...

Another all-time recognized great singer (tho he didnt have many hits) Benny Madanos. Suspect song, lyrical content, and video, but amazing range shown in this song, again within single sung lines, and moving around on words up/down, or on the back of a meaty previous note (lung capacity too)

Sublime...

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another important aspect to being a vocalist is also the vocal arrangements you come up with for lines and words. Danzig again is one of the very best ever here, he comes up with so many amazing ways to sing written lines, phrases, individual words. He creates scapes of emotion -- mystery, seduction, anger, sadness, toughness, fragility, etc thru this rare ability to come up with always interesting and different vocal arrangements.

Elvis Presley was also great at this. Why he was able to churn out so many hit singles.

Some singers have great voices but they dont have skill in vocal arrangements whatsoever. They just hit a high note on the end of a word here and there but there isnt much going on across the words and lines.

I could cite some examples but it would end up a Danzigathon of youtube videos.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
A great performance from one of the great metal vocalists:

RE the vocalists mentioned, I agree with Glenn Danzig. Easily makes my personal Top 150, and would be close to Top 100 if not within it. Ian Astbury is fine - on record his voice does sound a little strained at times, but off the top of my head he does make my Top 200.

Dio, Cornell and Vedder are of course widely renowned vocalists. Iggy Pop is underrated too. At times, he absolutely smoked when he sang with The Stooges back in the 70's. Might not be technically gifted, but his voice has a power, range and charisma that puts many to shame. Would certainly make my Top 200, at least.

Andre Matos from Angra was pretty damn amazing too. Hear the below:

Would push my personal Top 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.

Angry has a great voice ! I saw him open for Aerosmith around 1990/91 and i was blown away !. Saw him recently down the local pub and although he was as drunk as a lord he still has it. Liksten to their recently released re-recording of their debut album if you havnt already ( Outlaws) , Its AA class.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Rachel Price from Lake street Dive. I was lucky enough to see her live at Howler in 2017. Great show.
This video is just one of those times when someone gives an unforgettable performance and it's captured on video. Plenty of emotion in her singing.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
This woman has a truly wonderful voice and seems to have perfect pitch. These are songs from her first 2 albums, Salt and Dreaming Wide Awake.
If you haven't heard of her, have a listen to Salt and Dreaming Wide Awake. Her voice just seems to float amongst the notes. Beautiful playing as well.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Imelda May, Jeff Beck's go to girl. Both songs from her wonderful album "Life Love Flesh Blood".
Black Tears, with Beck on guitar.

When It's My Time. This might seem like an old time gospel song, but it was written by Imelda May.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back