Great Vocalists

Remove this Banner Ad

mlny parsonz. i have a soft spot for royal thunder's first ep, they let the music breathe a bit more instead of subsequent releases where while the music was more varied or complex they realised what a vocalist they had on their hands and used too many opportunities to fill in the gaps with some lyrics or overdubs.

diamanda galas. she could clearly do anything with her voice but not all of her output is easily defined as 'music', especially 'litanies of satan'. gives lisa gerrard a run for her octave range.

snippets of this in 'natural born killers'

Eva Cassidy.
What a pity she didn't have a longer career. By the time she started to be noticed she was battling skin cancer and passed away at 33. Most of her success was after her death. One of the most crystal clear of voices you will ever hear.
Both these songs were recorded at Blues Alley and are two songs from her "Live At Blues Alley" Album. 9 months after this performance Cassidy passed away.

Jonah Nilsson from Dirty Loops. Great singer and keyboard player with an incredible drummer and wonderful bass player. The band is Swedish, but you would have no idea from his singing.

This one is from the Quincy Jones' Billie Jean Concert. Quincy Jones, Marcus Miller, Richard Bona with Jonah Nilsson doing Billie Jean.

Eva Cassidy.
What a pity she didn't have a longer career. By the time she started to be noticed she was battling skin cancer and passed away at 33. Most of her success was after her death. One of the most crystal clear of voices you will ever hear.
Both these songs were recorded at Blues Alley and are two songs from her "Live At Blues Alley" Album. 9 months after this performance Cassidy passed away.

Eva always pared her songs down to her voice and her musicality. No histrionics or belting of the big notes required when you have the artillery to get the job done. To look at, she always reminded me of a cross between Reese Witherspoon and Kirsten Dunst. Which is a good thing.
I reckon she would have had some appreciation for the 10 year old Angelina's version of this song. Starts out a bit scratchy but then goes the distance. I admit I have been bewitched for 3 or so years by this now young woman.

Eva always pared her songs down to her voice and her musicality. No histrionics or belting of the big notes required when you have the artillery to get the job done. To look at, she always reminded me of a cross between Reese Witherspoon and Kirsten Dunst. Which is a good thing.
I reckon she would have had some appreciation for the 10 year old Angelina's version of this song. Starts out a bit scratchy but then goes the distance. I admit I have been bewitched for 3 or so years by this now young woman.

It's not the voice you expect from a 10 year old!

This is the singer I have been listening to recently on her 2014 album called Hunter. She is working on a new album at the moment. She trained to be an opera singer so she can hit and hold those high notes as you will see and hear.
Great singer and she is gorgeous!

Last edited:
It's not the voice you expect from a 10 year old!

This is the singer I have been listening to recently on her 2014 album called Hunter. She is working on a new album at the moment. She trained to be an opera singer so she can hit and hold those high notes as you will see and hear.
Great singer and she is gorgeous!

Man.
That girl has real stage presence along with a serious voice. How do talents like her slip by the general public?
And the back-up ensemble is mighty impressive too. I am halfway between thanking you and cursing you for going down another YouTube vortex.
I will most definitely keep an eye out for her album.
And to bore you one last time before others tell us to get a room. Angelina (again 10) and her version of:

Man.
That girl has real stage presence along with a serious voice. How do talents like her slip by the general public?
And the back-up ensemble is mighty impressive too. I am halfway between thanking you and cursing you for going down another YouTube vortex.
I will most definitely keep an eye out for her album.
And to bore you one last time before others tell us to get a room. Angelina (again 10) and her version of:

Scroll back to the first page of this thread, she is one of the girls singing "All About The Bass". She has presence in that as well.

Scroll back to the first page of this thread, she is one of the girls singing "All About The Bass". She has presence in that as well.
I love the look on the other girls faces. "If looks could kill they probably will". (Must admit the legs on the girl to the left of screen are useful).
Your muse is like Theda Bara. The "it" girl. She has it.
Her full name and history please. Bugger everybody else as we educate them.

Another singer who died too young. George Michael from this Symphonica album. The DVD and CD are terrific, he was such a good singer.

This one is from the Parkinson Show.

And the Royal Albert Hall.

did not expect to find this man in a Great Vocalists thread but Listen Without Prejudice is a seriously good and underrated record and a good showcase of his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the look on the other girls faces. "If looks could kill they probably will". (Must admit the legs on the girl to the left of screen are useful).
Your muse is like Theda Bara. The "it" girl. She has it.
Her full name and history please. Bugger everybody else as we educate them.
She has a few albums and I have all of them. Easiest way is to look her up on Wickipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_James
and her Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/MorganJamesOnline/
To save you going down the Toutube vortex.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6eZKvhVPz2EAeHwQqYjiA

Goodluck. No dribbling on the keyboard.

She has a few albums and I have all of them. Easiest way is to look her up on Wickipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_James
and her Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/MorganJamesOnline/
To save you going down the Toutube vortex.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6eZKvhVPz2EAeHwQqYjiA

Goodluck. No dribbling on the keyboard.
I have bookmarked the above for Sunday. Looking forward to it.
Housework, winter grass and other distractions tomorrow.
I shall report back to you. It is fun discovering new talent and thanks for bringing her to my attention.
Despite our gripes about YouTube, you have to love it.
At the risk of totally derailing this thread the following performer is not always a singer but you have an ear for talent. This is the young girl who originally made me stumble upon Angelina some years back.

I have bookmarked the above for Sunday. Looking forward to it.
Housework, winter grass and other distractions tomorrow.
I shall report back to you. It is fun discovering new talent and thanks for bringing her to my attention.
Despite our gripes about YouTube, you have to love it.
At the risk of totally derailing this thread the following performer is not always a singer but you have an ear for talent. This is the young girl who originally made me stumble upon Angelina some years back.

Youtube is great for discovering music on. While travelling through the Youtube vortex you should check out this band. I wouldn't have known about them if it wasn't for Youtube. How much fun can you have playing a song. Have a look at these 3 songs and you'll get some idea. All their singers are great, the must have grown up with music because it seems to come so natural to them. The have lots of stuff on Youtube all worth watching.
They were out here in January just before everything went crazy. It was a wonderful show. If they ever return I will be going.

And here's 12 year old Gabriela Bee for you to listen to.

Last edited:
Youtube is great for discovering music on. While travelling through the Youtube vortex you should check out this band. I wouldn't have known about them if it wasn't for Youtube. How much fun can you have playing a song. Have a look at these 3 songs and you'll get some idea. All their singers are great, the must have grown up with music because it seems to come so natural to them. The have lots of stuff on Youtube all worth watching.
They were out here in January just before everything went crazy. It was a wonderful show. If they ever return I will be going.

And here's 12 year old Gabriela Bee for you to listen to.

Hi Cliff.
That bloke in the second clip (Happy) with the ukulele has a very good voice for the right type of music. Get the feeling singing comes easy for him.
And Gabriela. I will check out more of her as I don't think that song properly showcased her talents. Too much going on around her.
And my last Angelina song before GG.exe. thread bans me. Or before I get accused of being fixated!
She is also 12 in this.

Hi Cliff.
That bloke in the second clip (Happy) with the ukulele has a very good voice for the right type of music. Get the feeling singing comes easy for him.
And Gabriela. I will check out more of her as I don't think that song properly showcased her talents. Too much going on around her.
And my last Angelina song before GG.exe. thread bans me. Or before I get accused of being fixated!
She is also 12 in this.

Walk off the Earth have lots and lots of videos on Youtube. Music seems to come so naturally to them, it's just like another language for them. Many unique instruments and different ways of producing their songs.

Frank Ifield was the very first Australian singer to have 3 consecutive number one hits in the UK. This is the first one. He was so big over there that the Beatles were his support act at one stage. Taught himself to sing and yodel while milking the cows.
A fine singer, what a voice, this is one of the very first songs I remember hearing on the radio.

I honestly think Glenn Danzig has the best voice, even in his old age (see below), the range within a sung line.

Ian Astbury from the Cult also has an amazing voice most evident in the latter Cult albums.

Some great singers like Cornell or Vedder etc have a distinct voice and it sounds great, but they dont have the range to deeper emote the ups and downs within a single sung line, like Danzig etc can do.

This is another great display of singing...

Another all-time recognized great singer (tho he didnt have many hits) Benny Madanos. Suspect song, lyrical content, and video, but amazing range shown in this song, again within single sung lines, and moving around on words up/down, or on the back of a meaty previous note (lung capacity too)

Sublime...

I used to be good friends with Cult guitarist James Stevenson's younger brother. The first album he recorded with them he got as an LP so he could give it to his dad to listen to on his old record player. A couple of weeks later he went to see his dad and asked him what he thought of the record. His dad said he thought the music was pretty dreary, but he loved the singers voice. He said he was wonderful and sounded just like Paul Robeson. "What are you talking about" said James. His father put on the record and out came the voice of Robeson. James looked at the record player. It was set to 16 rpm instead of 33. James set the record player to the correct speed. His father listened for about 30 seconds and said, "I don't like that at all."

Last edited:
I used to be good friends with Cult guitarist James Stevenson's younger brother. The first album he recorded with them he got as an LP so he could give it to his dad to listen to on his old record player. A couple of weeks later he went to see his dad and asked him what the thought of the record. His dad said he thought the music was pretty dreary, but he loved the singers voice. He said he was wonderful and sounded just like Paul Robeson. "What are you talking about" said James. His father put on the record and out came the voice of Robeson. James looked at the record player. It was set to 16 rpm instead of 33. James set the record player to the correct speed. His father listened for about 30 seconds and said, "I don't like that at all."
haha thats a great story.
btw ian astbury in hindsight has a powerful upper note voice but he doesnt maneuver around much, he just sings soft and then sings loud on certain words... his loud singing is very clean and powerful but he doesnt have range like say mike patton or glenn danzig or george michaels

haha thats a great story.
btw ian astbury in hindsight has a powerful upper note voice but he doesnt maneuver around much, he just sings soft and then sings loud on certain words... his loud singing is very clean and powerful but he doesnt have range like say mike patton or glenn danzig or george michaels
James' father was a writer who apparently wrote soft pr0n novels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back