Great Vocalists

Remove this Banner Ad

This gal loves the big-time, sentimental ballads but she can sing. That occasional, curious little yelp at the end of a line could be done away with though.

Some of my favourites - a few have been mentioned already.

Devin Townsend - Ridiculous range and control

Lee Douglas (Anathema) - Her voice has this quality that i find hard to describe but it gets me every time

Tatiana Shmayluk (Jinjer) - Mainly for her harsh vocals but she can sing quite well too. Her control changing from screaming to singing is exceptional, like Devin Townsend

Simone Simons (Epica) - Some of the notes she hits in this song are just ridiculous.

Mike Mills (Toehider) - An Aussie who has featured on several other albums by bands such as Ayreon

Some of the best, LRB. Glenn Frey described them as the best singing band in the world. You can pick anyone of them, all great vocalists.

From the mid 70s to mid 80s with Doc out the front The Angels were as good as anyone we've every had, imo.

A personal favourite, Alison Moyet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George McCrae

Jeff Lynne - ELO, this clip is 4 or 5 years old and the song about 40 years old, Jeff is 68 or 69 years old in this. The 2nd video's almost worth watching just for Ann-Margaret dancing in it.

Yeah, same here. Glad to see Kate Bush get a mention, so good.

Annie Lennox

Dido

Janis Joplin

Amy Winehouse

Ball and Chain at Monterey brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it. The vision of her feet stomping into the floor of the stage and stretching up onto her toes is like her soul leaving her body as she summons up the power for the performance. Incredible. Mama Cass sitting there open mouthed just saying, wow.

She was an absolute force of nature, gone at 27. If you haven't seen the documentary, Little Girl Blue, I recommend it. Some very sad things happened to her when she was younger at school and it haunted her.

Last edited:
All I can say is I have no idea what language the bloke is singing in. And all I really know is that he comes from Kazakhstan and he has the most amazing voice you will ever hear. Mind bogglingly good, just remarkable!!!!!!! I can't remember hearing anyone with such a range, man or woman. Music finishes at about 4-20. If you want to understand what he's singing about click on the closed Caption (CC) button.
Dimash Qudaibergen - 7 octaves and 2 semitones

Last edited:
Michael Hutchence is kinda underrated as a singer.
Firstly, he can sing very well.
But also, the thing I also like to look for in a singer....vocal arrangements....how they vocalize the words, phrases and sentences in lyrics.
Been listening to alot of INXS's early stuff, as well as their latter stuff, and Hutchence is really really good at vocal arrangements. His own unique way.

The little known, but utterly brilliant, Matt Moffitt. Left us way too early back in the early 2000's at only 46.

Lead singer of Matt Finish (look them up!).

What a voice.........

I feel embarrassed for never hearing of him, thanks for bringing his name up. searching and impressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back