Greater impact, Stephenson or Hately

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
North Melbourne and Adelaide crows both lost key experience during the trade but my question is of two talented recruits.

Jayden Stephenson and Jackson Hately were first round draft picks and both have displayed AFL ability, more so Stephenson with his impressive 2019. But who will have a greater impact in 2021?

Crows lose Brad Crouch but gain Hately, does Hately fulfill the midfield departed? Stephenson is a fine forward half player, can he be a focal point with Ben Brown gone? Stephenson needs to be, does Hately need to replace Crouch?

Who is more important to who in 2021?

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

North Melbourne and Adelaide crows both lost key experience during the trade but my question is of two talented recruits.

Jayden Stephenson and Jackson Hately were first round draft picks and both have displayed AFL ability, more so Stephenson with his impressive 2019. But who will have a greater impact in 2021?

Crows lose Brad Crouch but gain Hately, does Hately fulfill the midfield departed? Stephenson is a fine forward half player, can he be a focal point with Ben Brown gone? Stephenson needs to be, does Hately need to replace Crouch?

good luck to you ...

Hately, he dominated in the Neafl

Hately will have a better year next year IMO, but moreso because it’s far harder to play as a half forward in a developing team than an as inside mid, where you’re around the ball all game, in a developing team.

Not sure how North see Stephenson fitting in though, and might end up playing him on a wing.

Stephenson needs to regain his mojo a little while Hately should appreciate playing for a team without such an established midfield group. I will give the nod to Hately just as Stephenson seemed genuinely damaged last year.

Hard to say with Stephenson give how how tracked this season compared to where I thought he would be. He has so much talent where as Hately looks like a blue collar mid. Hately should get a fair bit of time around the ball though so may have more of an impact earlier on.

Stephenson will be forced to produce his talent on a fulltime basis by playing in the midfield.

Sometimes, you simply put people in a situation where they are forced to be always at their best.

Atley could have been one of the elites of the competition but he is allowed to be comfortable on the half back. This isn't the fault of the player, it's fault of the coach. The coach allowed Atley to be playing at a lower standard.

Stephenson. Had glandular fever this year, amidst 3-4 day turnarounds.

Watch him blow up early in the new year, explode out of the blocks and the Roos to win a few they weren't expected to off the back of his play. Then, watch the Roos struggle to score after opposition put adequate time into him and require other avenues to goal.

He'll be like Papley was this year early, and then like Papley was late.

Hately but simply because Adelaide will be in a better position to utilise him and actually played some decent team football in the last six weeks of the year.

North will be up against it, might get more use out of him on a win but will struggle to consistently be in games enough for half forwards or wingers to impact often.

Stephenson had a horrible year due to illness, shocking loss of form and allegedly an inability to cope with the changes imposed by Covid. Additionally he was played out of positions where he had won his rising star award and showed nothing. There was also the pressure of having to redeem himself after the gambling debacle off the previous year. Some of his footy was the worst I have seen on an AFL ground at any level. As a Pie, I would like nothing more than to see him regain the form he showed in 2018 and kick bags of goals for North. He is however, coming from a long way down.

Stephenson will be forced to produce his talent on a fulltime basis by playing in the midfield.

Sometimes, you simply put people in a situation where they are forced to be always at their best.

Atley could have been one of the elites of the competition but he is allowed to be comfortable on the half back. This isn't the fault of the player, it's fault of the coach. The coach allowed Atley to be playing at a lower standard.
You do realise that Stephenson was played in the midfield last year. He did very little

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that Stephenson was played in the midfield last year. He did very little

At Collingwood, at north, we get best out of recruit, Anderson as example. Stephenson absolute superstar, generational talent. Big loss pies.

That will not work out well for Stephenson if roos do that.

Way too timid. We moved him to wing and is part of why his form disappeared.

That will not work out well for Stephenson if roos do that.

Way too timid. We moved him to wing and is part of why his form disappeared.

Fail, shielding a plauercaway from danger is a confidence destroying move. Stephenson needs to be forced, at gun point if necessary. He is the type where the coach needs to give him a few bs told to be brilliant abd dynamic at all time or else will be feed to the wolves to get the most out of himself.

Different players with different objectives.

Hately will appreciate and benefit the rise and rise of RO'b. The Crows however are in need of scorers to step up and a need for reduced number of turnovers. Critical statistic measurements for Hatley in 2021 would be games played %, Goals, Goals assists and clangers. Compare this with those generated by Brad crouch in 2020 which were 70.5%, 0.2, 0.2, 5. Hately is a win if he stats up better than Crouch 2020.

Stephenson will have to play for two sides, the Roos and his inner demons, a gamble and test for his coach who has at least played for the Demons in North Hobart.

The Roos will looking for better than Stephenson's 2018 stats output from a focused forward next season. At least Stephenson no longer has to get out the way of De Goey. Judge Stephenson as a win if he kicks more than 40 goals at better than 65% accuracy.

At Collingwood, at north, we get best out of recruit, Anderson as example. Stephenson absolute superstar, generational talent. Big loss pies.
Yeah nah, we know the kid better than you, expect him to start off well, may even have a good season, then expect old habbits to come creeping back, he'll be delisted within 3-4 years.

Yeah nah, we know the kid better than you, expect him to start off well, may even have a good season, then expect old habbits to come creeping back, he'll be delisted within 3-4 years.

Oh really you know the kids well? You kept a criminal who will be facing assaukt charges in 2021and let go your top midfiler, future hall of famer and a very servicable wingman. Yes indeed, knowing very well. Oh yeah, de goey might still leave due over the top pressure for him to deliver.

If he stayed at pies then yes he will get delisted, we take players to the next level ie Anderson, Waite, dal santo, Higgins to name a few. 2020 saw walker becoming a powerhouse defender. Corr might get turned into a top 3 payback of ago in 2021.

Oh yeah baby.

Hately looks bog ordinary imo.

Wasn't impressed with him in his draft year, and further unimpressed with him in the little exposure he had with the Giants. Will be a very vanilla mid for Adelaide while they struggle at the wrong end of the ladder. Will probably rack up 100+ bog average games. Will be around the ball, so his numbers will look alright. But his influence will be negligible.

Believe me, fans of all lower sides over a period know this type well.

Hately's looked good to me during preseason games when he was attending centre bounces. Outside of stoppages he's been very poor for GWS, fading out of games and not great decision making. Stephenson looks like damaged goods and the explanation for his form isnt clear - possibly post viral symptoms, hub life or effort off field. He is obviously the more talented of the two and has runs on the board at AFL level.

Give Hately his preferred role and Stephenson good health and then judge.

Oh really you know the kids well? You kept a criminal who will be facing assaukt charges in 2021and let go your top midfiler, future hall of famer and a very servicable wingman. Yes indeed, knowing very well. Oh yeah, de goey might still leave due over the top pressure for him to deliver.

If he stayed at pies then yes he will get delisted, we take players to the next level ie Anderson, Waite, dal santo, Higgins to name a few. 2020 saw walker becoming a powerhouse defender. Corr might get turned into a top 3 payback of ago in 2021.

Oh yeah baby.
And you barrack for north.

Oh yeah baby.
Shut the * up please.

Whilst I agree with you that we have done a good job at improving players we've bought in, doesn't exclude the fact that some have gone the other way (mostly from the 2018 off-season)

Treloar is also not going to be a hall of famer, nowhere near it I might add, especially with all the competiton he has at the Dogs, it's also a bit odd to say that he is their best midfielder considering Treloar has never had an AA, yet Adams, Pendlebury and Sidebottom have all made AAs.

Walker is not a powerhouse defender, I mean I know we have some of the best key defence stocks IMO, but Walker is 4th in line and judging by his b&f tally, he's nowhere near it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at the end but from what I can gather, it would be irrationale to state that Corr has a chance of being a top 3 defender in 2021, not saying he won't be serviceable, far from it.

On the actual topic of the thread

It's hard to judge which will have more impact since both players have a lot of question marks but I'd go with Stephenson since he had a really rough 2020 and before that he was an established player but I wouldn't be surprised if Hately turned out better.

Shut the fu** up please.

Whilst I agree with you that we have done a good job at improving players we've bought in, doesn't exclude the fact that some have gone the other way (mostly from the 2018 off-season)

Treloar is also not going to be a hall of famer, nowhere near it I might add, especially with all the competiton he has at the Dogs, it's also a bit odd to say that he is their best midfielder considering Treloar has never had an AA, yet Adams, Pendlebury and Sidebottom have all made AAs.

Walker is not a powerhouse defender, I mean I know we have some of the best key defence stocks IMO, but Walker is 4th in line and judging by his b&f tally, he's nowhere near it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at the end but from what I can gather, it would be irrationale to state that Corr has a chance of being a top 3 defender in 2021, not saying he won't be serviceable, far from it.

On the actual topic of the thread

It's hard to judge which will have more impact since both players have a lot of question marks but I'd go with Stephenson since he had a really rough 2020 and before that he was an established player but I wouldn't be surprised if Hately turned out better.

Piss off please. We take players to the next level. Corr next level is top tier defender. Walker is already a powerhouse due to his physical prowess. Stephemson will be a generational talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back