Analysis Greater Western Juggernaut: How Do we stack Up?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that we have the makings of a forward line and back line to stack up with GWS. So if we analyze the midfields, let's see how far behind we are:

They have Coniglio, Shiel, Scully, Ward, Griffen who I would say are all A Grade talents. Then lots of other very good ones in Kelly, Whitfield etc. But looking at the top end, I think Steven is the only one that can fit into that category at present, which puts us about 4-5 top quality players behind.

OK, so how do we bridge that gap? The most obvious way is through development of current players. If Billings, Acres and Gresham all take the next step, that means we've gone a long way. Personally I think they all have the potential to be that good, but it will take a little bit of luck as well. Add to that a gun FA at the end of next year (maybe Rockliff), then we've gone a long way to catching up.

The good thing for us is the fact that our forward line looks like it can really stack up and we have a few good key backs and a plethora of good half backs. That means we can focus our energies on the midfield over the next two years.

The moneyball picks that we've been accruing are fantastic, but it will be rare that one of these picks becomes a truly top end player, especially a top end midfielder. In Ross, Dunstan and Newnes we have a trio of very good mids; put them alongside a number of top midfielders and we will really see them shine.

With all of this in mind, if we can manage a trade in which we pick up another midfielder (eg Longer for L.Weller) then personally I think we should jump at it.

Last edited:
I think that we have the makings of a forward line and back line to stack up with GWS. So if we analyze the midfields, let's see how far behind we are:

They have Coniglio, Shiel, Scully, Ward, Griffen who I would say are all A Grade talents. Then lots of other very good ones in Kelly, Whitfield etc. But looking at the top end, I think Steven is the only one that can fit into that category at present, which puts us about 4-5 top quality players behind.

OK, so how do we bridge that gap? The most obvious way is through development of current players. If Billings, Acres and Gresham all take the next step, that means we've gone a long way. Personally I think they all have the potential to be that good, but it will take a little bit of luck as well. Add to that a gun FA at the end of next year (maybe Rockliff), then we've gone a long way to catching up.

The good thing for us is the fact that our forward line looks like it can really stack up and we have a few good key backs and a plethora of good half backs. That means we can focus our energies on the midfield over the next two years.

The moneyball picks that we've been accruing are fantastic, but it will be rare that one of these picks becomes a truly top end player, especially a top end midfielder. In Ross, Dunstan and Newnes we have a trio of very good mids; put them alongside a number of top midfielders and we will really see them shine.

With all of this in mind, if we can manage a trade in which we pick up another midfielder (eg Longer for L.Weller) then personally I think we should jump at it.

I reckon the biggest step we can take towards matching GWS' midfield is poaching Dylan Shiel and I'm sure the club is well aware of this and are putting in a lot of groundwork and effort to try and sell the Saints to him. Is a Vic boy and went to St. Bede's, 10 mins from Moorabbin.
OOC next year.

27.7 disposals (10.4 contested), 3.6 marks, 3.6 tackles, 4 I50s, 5.5 clearances, 16 goal assists this season. Is exactly what we need. Will be 25 in 2018.

Then compare the two with mids rotations, just listing off the top of my head (including Steele/Laverde as well if we get one/both); (ages in 2018)
Dylan Shiel - 25 years
Jack Steven - 28 years
David Armitage - 30 years
Seb Ross - 25 years
Jack Newnes - 25 years
Jade Gresham - 21 years
Blake Acres - 23 years
Jack Billings - 23 years
Luke Dunstan - 23 years
Jack Steele/Jayden Laverde - 23/22 years (steele december birthday will be turning 23)
(Sinclair 23 if he makes it as well)

Callan Ward - 28 years
Ryan Griffen - 32 years
Josh Kelly - 23 years
Lachie Whitfield - 24 years
Stephen Coniglio - 25 years
Tom Scully - 27 years
Devon Smith - 25 years
Toby Greene - 25 years
Jacob Hopper - 21 years
Matt Kennedy - 21 years
+whoever else

I reckon Griffen will be close to cooked, not an A grader anymore and probably only was one for a year or two. They'll have a few entering their prime.

Mumford also will be 32 years old, Hickey 27.

They bat deep but I'm not as concerned as many are. Hopefully we can get Steele and maybe get Shiel (or even if someone else gets Shiel I wouldn't mind, as long as clubs continue to pick apart their list and weaken the monster) or we could get a Fyfe/Martin/Rocky type, any of these guys would be the best case scenario. Fast forward another two years on those ages in 2020 and we've got most of our guys in their primes 24-30 and Gresh 23. They'll lose Griffen and for us Armo probably cooked at 32? And Steven/Ward will both be 30. Mummy gone too by that stage.
Of course to replace guys like Shiel potentially leaving they'll get picks.

Would also love L. Weller of course.

I reckon the biggest step we can take towards matching GWS' midfield is poaching Dylan Shiel and I'm sure the club is well aware of this and are putting in a lot of groundwork and effort to try and sell the Saints to him. Is a Vic boy and went to St. Bede's, 10 mins from Moorabbin.
OOC next year.

27.7 disposals (10.4 contested), 3.6 marks, 3.6 tackles, 4 I50s, 5.5 clearances, 16 goal assists this season. Is exactly what we need. Will be 25 in 2018.

Then compare the two with mids rotations, just listing off the top of my head (including Steele/Laverde as well if we get one/both); (ages in 2018)
Dylan Shiel - 25 years
Jack Steven - 28 years
David Armitage - 30 years
Seb Ross - 25 years
Jack Newnes - 25 years
Jade Gresham - 21 years
Blake Acres - 23 years
Jack Billings - 23 years
Luke Dunstan - 23 years
Jack Steele/Jayden Laverde - 23/22 years (steele december birthday will be turning 23)
(Sinclair 23 if he makes it as well)

Callan Ward - 28 years
Ryan Griffen - 32 years
Josh Kelly - 23 years
Lachie Whitfield - 24 years
Stephen Coniglio - 25 years
Tom Scully - 27 years
Devon Smith - 25 years
Toby Greene - 25 years
Jacob Hopper - 21 years
Matt Kennedy - 21 years
+whoever else

I reckon Griffen will be close to cooked, not an A grader anymore and probably only was one for a year or two. They'll have a few entering their prime.

Mumford also will be 32 years old, Hickey 27.

They bat deep but I'm not as concerned as many are. Hopefully we can get Steele and maybe get Shiel (or even if someone else gets Shiel I wouldn't mind, as long as clubs continue to pick apart their list and weaken the monster) or we could get a Fyfe/Martin/Rocky type, any of these guys would be the best case scenario. Fast forward another two years on those ages in 2020 and we've got most of our guys in their primes 24-30 and Gresh 23. They'll lose Griffen and for us Armo probably cooked at 32? And Steven/Ward will both be 30. Mummy gone too by that stage.
Of course to replace guys like Shiel potentially leaving they'll get picks.

Would also love L. Weller of course.
Not counting chickens, but hopefully Freeman can be added to your list of our mids.

I know this won't go down well, but here is more to a football club than player talent. List management, salary cap, player and staff personality profiles, injuries, CEO's, football managers.

Not saying they won't be successful, just think there's a bit of chicken little going on. Remember the hysteria when Buddy went to the Swans?

GWS are on an different level. Our centre half forward is a GWS discard, that I doubt they could find a place for in their forward line even after he kicked 50 goals last year. One of our best 22 at present would be in their best 22, Steven.

The AFL will wake up when their precious big Melbourne clubs like Collingwood, Carlton and Essenscum begin to bleed fans sick of having no chance. Their fans do not have the staying power to accept being irrelevant for years. A tiny unworthy part of me even looks forward to it.

Their mids are not only the most skilled but once this bloke finishes with them they will be the toughest as well.

upload_2016-9-13_0-21-22.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-13_0-21-5.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-13_0-21-5.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think we all get intimidated by the sheer depth of GWS. But there is still that old adage of only 22 players go out for either side when you play, and that includes in a Grand Final. The best 23-40 players of the Giants could be world-beaters, but they won't all be playing AFL on a given day.

Obviously, depth is very important, I recognise that. But still, I think the point stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake this manufactured club could be the AFLs own undoing. We're in the same boat as you guys. We're looking like having one of the best lists in our history, to give us that drought breaking flag, and it will be lost because it coincided with the worst thing to ever happen to this great game. The concessions they have received are like nothing ever seen and far superior to what the Gold Coast got. And the effects will continue for years as they cycle out players for more picks. Remember, this year the Giants will have THREE first round draft picks. THREE. And that could well be just after winning the premiership this year.

GWS are on an different level. Our centre half forward is a GWS discard, that I doubt they could find a place for in their forward line even after he kicked 50 goals last year. One of our best 22 at present would be in their best 22, Steven.

The AFL will wake up when their precious big Melbourne clubs like Collingwood, Carlton and Essenscum begin to bleed fans sick of having no chance. Their fans do not have the staying power to accept being irrelevant for years. A tiny unworthy part of me even looks forward to it.

Their mids are not only the most skilled but once this bloke finishes with them they will be the toughest as well.

View attachment 287987
Not sure I agree with the only one player would make best 22 as a fair comparison.

You have compare each position against the match up imo.

Bruce may be a discard but how does he compare to their CHF?

Paddy v Cameron?
Skunk v their 3re?
Jake v their full back?
Our hbf's v theirs?

Make no mistake this manufactured club could be the AFLs own undoing. We're in the same boat as you guys. We're looking like having one of the best lists in our history, to give us that drought breaking flag, and it will be lost because it coincided with the worst thing to ever happen to this great game. The concessions they have received are like nothing ever seen and far superior to what the Gold Coast got. And the effects will continue for years as they cycle out players for more picks. Remember, this year the Giants will have THREE first round draft picks. THREE. And that could well be just after winning the premiership this year.
Correct, mate. AFL chiefs are on a different planet. When will it be the turn of clubs like ours to get a decent deal? Oh, and best wishes for the finals. I'd love to see you win the big one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back