Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I anticipate a real lot of discussion about our list this year and I thought it better to create a thread with accurate contract information than to keep running into random threads and posts all year. I do get it'll probably happen anyway but all I can do is try.

Some notes:-

Kieran Briggs and Nick Shipley are local juniors and keep yer filthy mitts off. Probably not priority targets anyway but both should have good AFL careers.

Adam Kennedy likewise. He may not be a superstar but he defines us in many ways

Josh Kelly I honestly dont know. We'll have a plan and be prepared to fight to the death. He's shown he'll act in his own best interest.

Coniglio I expect to stay but if he decides to go home to WA he does with my best wishes at least. He's given us 7 great years and would only go if it was important to him to move I think.

Haynes and Tomlinson will get interest as RFA's. I think Haynes will re-sign, he's a Victorian but a mad keen surfer.

Tomlinson I dont know, I hope so and he probably would have left last year if he wanted to.

Himmelburg is getting what he wants in terms of role and a locked down spot and I'm confident he'll re-sign for that reason. Young up and comers like him often leave to get the role they want I think and that's not a problem for him.

GWS Player Contracts
Adam Kennedy 2020 RFA Just no
Adam Tomlinson 2019 RFA Targeted
Aidan Corr 2020
Aiden Bonar 2021
Brent Daniels 2019 not extended?
Brett Deledio 2019 not wanted?
Callan Ward 2021
Connor Idun 2020 Draftee
Daniel Lloyd 2019 Local
Dawson Simpson 2019 Wanted by us
Dylan Buckley 2019 NEAFL depth
Harrison Himmelberg 2019 Targeted
Harry Perryman 2020
Heath Shaw 2019 Not gettable
Ian Hill 2020 Draftee
Isaac Cumming 2020
Jack Buckley 2019 Last year
Jackson Hately 2020 Draftee
Jacob Hopper 2019 Targeted
Jake Stein 2019 Cat B rookie
Jeremy Cameron 2020
Jeremy Finlayson 2020
Jonathon Patton 2020
Joshua Kelly 2019 No interest lol Jy Caldwell 2020 Draftee
Kieren Briggs 2020 local
Lachie Whitfield 2020
Lachlan Keeffe 2019 No interest
Matthew Buntine 2019 ?
Matthew De Boer 2019 Not gettable
Matthew Flynn 2019 Defining year
Nicholas Shipley 2021
Nick Haynes 2019 RFA Targeted
Phil Davis 2021
Sam Taylor 2020
Samuel Reid 2019 RFA No interest
Shane Mumford 2019 Not gettable
Stephen Coniglio 2019 RFA Sangroper alert
Thomas Sheridan 2019 no interest
Tim Taranto 2020
Toby Greene 2024
Xavier O'Halloran 2020
Zac Langdon 2020
Zachary Sproule 2019 no interest
Zachary Williams 2020

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Hopper is the player thats getting alot of airtime on many richmond boards and there was murmurs that we were trying to get him across last trade period but didnt eventuate.

Aiden Bonar is also a player that i would love at Tigerland

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hopper is the player thats getting alot of airtime on many richmond boards and there was murmurs that we were trying to get him across last trade period but didnt eventuate.

Aiden Bonar is also a player that i would love at Tigerland

Hopper has a sought after midfield spot and is progressing nicely. He gets a chance to go OOC in 2020 if he wishes though.

The only way I can see Bonar leaving is if he cant get a midfield spot. He's got three years to run on his contract before it becomes an issue.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Hopper has a sought after midfield spot and is progressing nicely. He gets a chance to go OOC in 2020 if he wishes though.

The only way I can see Bonar leaving is if he cant get a midfield spot. He's got three years to run on his contract before it becomes an issue.
You have Hopper coming out of Contract in 2019

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Which of their standout NEAFL players are out of contract?

Asking for a friend (SOS)
Sadly our surplus depth days are over.

Our welfare manager Dylan Addison often pulls the boots on to guide the academy kids in the NEAFL when we cant front with enough listed players. A fitter list would obviously help a lot.

Our welfare manager Dylan Addison often pulls the boots on to guide the academy kids in the NEAFL when we cant front with enough listed players. A fitter list would obviously help a lot.
DFA! The great man still has a run.

Watching Xav O'Halloran with great interest. Jets boy, I know a few draft watchers loved him last year. I'd imagine a few clubs are going to try get into his ear.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
DFA! The great man still has a run.

Watching Xav O'Halloran with great interest. Jets boy, I know a few draft watchers loved him last year. I'd imagine a few clubs are going to try get into his ear.
You know more than I do it seems. Emma Quayle is doing the draftees stories in turn in depth, and hasn't got to him yet.

He seemed a bit of a coaches call from the video of our drafting team. That can't hurt his prospects. We have him on his rookie contract for 2 years.

You know more than I do it seems. Emma Quayle is doing the draftees stories in turn in depth, and hasn't got to him yet.

He seemed a bit of a coaches call from the video of our drafting team. That can't hurt his prospects. We have him on his rookie contract for 2 years.
Draft watchers put him at the top of the pile in terms of character last draft, captain of the Jets and VM which is a big tick.
I am a really big fan of the way he delivers the ball into the F50 to set up leading forwards. To me he looks the type that could transition to AFL, get 10-12 touches per game but still be quite influential because he uses the ball so well.
His knock was 'production' but by the end of the season he was finding more of the ball.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Draft watchers put him at the top of the pile in terms of character last draft, captain of the Jets and VM which is a big tick.
I am a really big fan of the way he delivers the ball into the F50 to set up leading forwards. To me he looks the type that could transition to AFL, get 10-12 touches per game but still be quite influential because he uses the ball so well.
His knock was 'production' but by the end of the season he was finding more of the ball.
Tks

Hopefully he does. Leon has always valued character and leadership so his enthusiasm makes sense.

One thing I'm looking forward to is the club developing youngsters like O'halloran and not losing them when they cant find a spot or a role in the midfield, now we've ended the concession period.

Guys like Steele and Matt Kennedy et al hurt from a supporters point if view. You watch them play mostly NEAFL and then get excited at their prospects and end up having to keep an eye on other club's boards to see how their going. More than the top end players strangely.

Guys like Steele and Matt Kennedy et al hurt from a supporters point if view. You watch them play mostly NEAFL and then get excited at their prospects and end up having to keep an eye on other club's boards to see how their going. More than the top end players strangely.
Yeah we went through it with Ward and Harbrow who we developed and rated very highly but moved on for their own reasons (Harbrow for family, Ward because our list management team at the time screwed up contract negotiations).
GWS is in a tougher position of having so much young talent come in that it's simply impossible to keep everyone.

I imagine that's the rationale behind moving on Shiel as it seems now there is the cap space to keep both Kelly and Coniglio. Choosing the higher priority players to keep.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I think Kelly will look at heading to North and you may lose a Tomlinson. I doubt it will have a huge effect on continuing to be strong for the next couple of years. If you start to lose a couple more that are considered best 22, then that is a different story
I can't see Kelly wanting to go to North If they start falling further down the ladder.

Dollars dont entirely matter to the man(as previously shown) and he has been at the Giants longer than his old man was at North.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't see Kelly wanting to go to North If they start falling further down the ladder.

Dollars dont entirely matter to the man(as previously shown) and he has been at the Giants longer than his old man was at North.

I agree with your prediction regarding North, I still believe they won't make the 8 and could even slide if they have a normal run of injuries. If he moved, it would only be like so many others across the country, the pull of family and friends, of course the extra dollars is a welcomed bonus

I hope he stays and sees it through, a flag would be a great outcome for him and your club

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I agree with your prediction regarding North, I still believe they won't make the 8 and could even slide if they have a normal run of injuries. If he moved, it would only be like so many others across the country, the pull of family and friends, of course the extra dollars is a welcomed bonus

I hope he stays and sees it through, a flag would be a great outcome for him and your club
I do think North will throw an even bigger offer at him.
And yes he is a chance at accepting it.

Just think that there would off been some big questions asked last year and the reason we emptied cap space was to re-sign our stars this year. Kelly and Cogs chief among them.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I do think North will throw an even bigger offer at him.
And yes he is a chance at accepting it.

Just think that there would off been some big questions asked last year and the reason we emptied cap space was to re-sign our stars this year. Kelly and Cogs chief among them.

I don't think players in their prime go chasing money and if they move, it is to sides in a flag window or about open, so Kelly is a chance to stay

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The title of this article is very misleading. It essentially says they’re talking. No suggestion at all that they’re closing in on a deal.
Saying that I still think the sensible money is on him re-signing with GWS.
I wasnt saying it was a definite. Just adding some media.

Not saying I'm hoping it isnt true as I am.

Back