Greatest AFL nicknames of all time and background on how the nickname came about.

Remove this Banner Ad

GhostofJimJess

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Ginnivan's nickname at the club is "Craigy", after his old man Craig (who, by the way, had the nickname of "Tickets" in his country footy career), who would always get ridiculously pissed at Collingwood functions last year and repeatedly drunkenly get into Buck's ear with "when you gonna give my son a game?"

Last edited:

Spearman

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
IMO nicknames must be organic, not something concocted by some commentator, unless inspired and universally accepted by all, especially the teammates.

Lizard is such a nickname :thumbsu:

From the Cats Domsy, just so left field. :laughv1:

From non footy, I'd pick 'Sweetness'. Just speaks of the respect everyone had for the man, and an amazing player to watch.

Liam Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the weirder ones I can remember, Cameron "CHOG" Pedersen
It isn’t always other players that hand out the nicknames, Cam Pedersen gave himself one the other week. We were in the spa at the club doing training recovery before a game and someone asked him what position he would be playing on the weekend. Cam said ‘probably CHOG as in centre half off ground’. When asked to explain himself, he reckons he said it because he is always named as an emergency and never makes it into the team. So now, we call him CHOG.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I think you are a bit off. Think Doro was caught in different circumstances as Jo Pearson and Dominator were.....
So the story goes...

remember the story when i was a kid. apparently having an uncle doug in his car behind a girls school bus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Most of my teammates with good nicknames are fairly self explanatory and immature:

Jack Fitzhenry was ‘Jack Fists Henry’

I had a teammate who’s last name was Burgar and his best mate (they went everywhere together) was known as ‘Fries’

Jetafl

All Australian
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
The “Postman”.

Looks flashy at training during the week but doesn’t deliver on Saturdays.
Very much unlike ''The Mailman'' - Karl Malone he always delivered.

The Cryptkeeper

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Grant Birchall was nicknamed Beaver at Hawthorn.

Being a Tasmanian and all...

All Aust

Baby Got Back
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Well before my time but that is a very cool nickname.
Was funny how Louie never settled on one nickname for Peter Bosustow. I remember he called him Mr Magic, Mr Modesty and the Buzz.
For Peter Daicos I remember he called him the Macedonian Marvel. Rod Carter, The Tilt, Rotten Ronnie Andrews, The Flea for Dale Weightman. Scratcher Neal
Scratcher was always scratcher as a kid in Wynyard, longer before he in got to the VFL. Scratcher is a generational Neal family nick-name.

All Aust

Baby Got Back
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
What did they scratch?
Did you ever have an itch?? No, not that.

The greater Neal family are farmers from out the back of Wynyard on Mt Hicks road. back in the day, you'd "scratch out a living" on the farm that far inland from the coast, is my guess.

DEVO

Are We Not Men? We Are...
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta, Carlisle, Ross County
The greatest nickname of all time has to be "Whispering Death" given to former West Indies fast Bowler Michael Holding, because he we so relaxed when he jogged into bowl that not even the Umpires would hear him approach and then he would deliver a rocket that more often than not was aimed at the batsmen's head. One of the scariest bowlers of all time.

As for AFL, can't go past "The Galloping Gasometer", it's brilliant, and Mick Nolan was an under rated ruckman and very mobile for his size, 194cms and 135kgs.

Remove this Banner Ad