Greatest AFL nicknames of all time and background on how the nickname came about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Played for Macleod/Rosanna one year, we had this bloke who was 6’4 but very robotic, behind his back we called him Hymie, first game the white board comes out in the change rooms and written on the board beside ruck was ‘Hymie’, the coach didn’t know his name, Hymie started undressing thinking he didn’t make the cut, was pretty funny.

PS, need to have watched Get Smart to get it.

We only got beat by 48 goals that game, anything less than a 50 goal defeat we sung the song and it was party time!!

Last edited:

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought back in the day Horse Longmire’s name was due to his prodigious kicking length, whilst that name would aptly apply I didn’t know the real meaning to years later, many commentators didn’t either.

GhostofJimJess

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought back in the day Horse Longmire’s name was due to his prodigious kicking length, whilst that name would aptly apply I didn’t know the real meaning to years later, many commentators didn’t either.
Steve O'Dwyer was known as "Donkey" amongst his uni mates for a very similar reason

Remove this Banner Ad