Greatest AFL nicknames of all time and background on how the nickname came about.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Totally, but they were often pure gold.

My favourite Commetti-ism was during a GWS game. Heath Shaw had skewed a kick out off the side of his boot and out on the full, handing the footy to the oppo for a free shot at goal. 10 minutes later Heath took another kick out and perfectly spotted up a teammate.

Commetti - "That is the Shaw Shank Redemption" :D

You don't come up with that little gem spontaneously.

No I totally agree Cometti was actually very funny planned or unplanned and had an incredible depth of knowledge about the sports he called. Bruce had perhaps the widest range of anyone in Australian TV history - you could have plonked him in any code or competition in the country and he’d be able to peel off hundreds of facts about it. Cometti brought that to footy and did it with wit and a bit of cheek.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
As a little kid, how good ?!
I actually looked forward the the Saturday newspaper as a kid, which seems strange.
You mention Tom Prior and brought the memories of what journo's were around as a kid and the fantastic Jeff Hook footy cartoons in it. I think there was another Simonvich or something like that name in those times. Think he moved onto a USA newspaper.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Anyone know where “Buddha” Hocking got his nickname? He is far more famous for that name than his real name. Is it because he a chubber when he joined?

I've read it's because of the way he would sit when watching the TV as a kid.

His mum thought he resembled Buddha.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Britt Gibson AFLW is ''the Dozer'' and to say she is rather fond of yet another great, Diesel would be an understatement.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Britt Gibson AFLW is ''the Dozer'' and to say she is rather fond of yet another great, Diesel would be an understatement.

Lol, for a while after entering the ambulance service my brother was known as Diesel because he put diesel in a petrol engine ambulance and ****ed it.

When his son was born he was known across that station as ‘2-Stroke’ - Little Diesel

The cult of commentators has become so stupid.

Kerry O’Keeffe is the one that shits me the most. Anyone with half a brain can tell he has his one-liners prepared for months before he spits them out but people seem oblivious to it. Dennis Cometti openly said he would prepare a lot of his in advance.

Bruce meanwhile used to cop s**t because of his over emotion at times but he was one of the most natural I felt and one of the few that brought the appropriate level of knowledge to his sports

Rugby League’s Ray Warren while prone to the odd mixed cliche or silly comment was amazing for some of his obviously off the cuff commentary.

I vividly recall a game in Wollongong adjacent to the beach where a conversion attempt was missed from point blank range by the goalkicker but the two goal line referees raised their flags to show that it was a goal.

Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin lost it. ‘You have GOT to be kidding!!!! How hopeless are these blokes fair dinkum. They should throw them in…… Wollongong Ocean!’

The commentary box erupts with guffaws but quick as a flash Ray Warren composed himself slightly and bellows ‘Wollongong Ocean? It’s been the Pacific since before CAPTAIN COOK!!!’

It was delivered just perfectly

Rabs was at his best mixing up idioms - rubbing salt in to injury 😀

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rowdy = Gavin Brown
Pants = Darren Millane
"Charlie" = James Manson
"Cement head" = Craig "Ned" Kelly
Scooter = Tony Francis
Neon Leon Davis
Boof = Craig Davis
Cotton = Billy Picken
Monkey = Damien Monkhorst
Jerker = Graham Jenkin
Bubba = Barry Price
Daisy = Dale Thomas
The Macedonian Marvel= Peter Daicos
Leroy = Leigh "the Anvil" Brown
Tuddy = Des Tuddenham
Buttsy = Stan Magro
Rusty = Steele Sidebottom
The Blanket = Michael Gayfer
Flash = Wayne Gordon
Heater = Heath Shaw
"Perfect Pete" = Peter McKenna
Twiggy = Ross Dunne
Thommo = Len Thompson
Racehorse = Ricky Barham
Teaser = Graham Teasdale
Chocco = Mark Williams
"The Weed" = Murray Weideman
Bobby = Bob Rose
Rotten = Ron Andrews
Jimmy = Robert Dean
Billy = Jamie Elliot
Jonno = Ben Johnston
Dids = Alan Didak
"Cho" = Michael Richardson
Banksy = Dennis Banks
Chrisso = Michael Christian
Mores = Shane Morwood

I'll leave it here....I've gotta cook dinner!
always thought Steele Sidebottom's nickname should have been Tin Arse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Charlie Spargo - DJ Shitboy

vikingpimp

Senior List
May 19, 2011
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Totally, but they were often pure gold.

My favourite Commetti-ism was during a GWS game. Heath Shaw had skewed a kick out off the side of his boot and out on the full, handing the footy to the oppo for a free shot at goal. 10 minutes later Heath took another kick out and perfectly spotted up a teammate.

Commetti - "That is the Shaw Shank Redemption" :D

You don't come up with that little gem spontaneously.
"Cousins, runs away from Carr ... not the first time we've seen that this season" is probably my all time fave

Fat Jesus

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Paul Seedsman was nicknamed Leso by his team mates. To do with his hairstyle.

Heritier Lumumba interrupted an important team meeting because he took issue with the name. 🤣
He was let go to Melbourne soon after.

images.jpeg

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
Jason Dunstall's first nickname at Hawthorn was Freddy Flinstone.
Apparently during a team meeting a player said to Allan Jeans "who do we kick to if Barney (Leigh Matthews) has to many on him" another player yelled out "The Fat one next to him" & I think Brereton yelled out 'yeah Fred Flinstone"

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Jason Dunstall's first nickname at Hawthorn was Freddy Flinstone.
Apparently during a team meeting a player said to Allan Jeans "who do we kick to if Barney (Leigh Matthews) has to many on him" another player yelled out "The Fat one next to him" & I think Brereton yelled out 'yeah Fred Flinstone"

How did Bunghole arise?

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
How did Bunghole arise?
Bunghole refers to the hole in your butt so maybe he took a heavy knock to the coccyx at training back in the day and said ''my bunghole is bleeding" and it just stuck. Word of warning don't ask for the explanation how Plugger got this nickname.

Last edited:
Back