Greatest beginnings to a film.

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
There's a greatest ending to a film thread. How about some greatest beginning?

+1 for Saving Private Ryan. I expected a standard heroic Tom Hanks war movie going into the cinema and was shocked by how visceral it was. That opening scene just kerb stomped me at the time.

The Matrix opening scene also had serious wow factor.

Up (pixar) intro has the full spectrum of emotions, is really well done.

Other less obvious ones with cool intros imo:
Watchmen, Highlander, Army of Darkness (in the pit), Hard Target, Mad Max 2.

The Blues Brothers had a perfect, lowkey opening. Zooming across the industrial gloom and pollution of Illinois followed by Jake being released from jail. Barely a word spoken then he gets back his stuff. One hat... black.

Emerges from jail where his identically dressed brother picks him up. She Caught The Katy starts playing and the brothers embrace. The dynamic between the brothers is established early with a few exchanges:

What this?
What?
This car. This stupid car. Where's the Caddy? (tosses cigarette lighter out of the window)

You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
No. For a microphone.
A microphone? Ok I can see that.

Well thank you pal. The day I get out of prison my own brother picks me up in a police car.

(Elwood jumps the car over a bridge)
Jake: ...cars got a lot of pick up

So, whadda ya say? Is it the new Blues Mobile or what?
Fix the cigarette lighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not about to win a retrospective Oscar for excess artistic merit or anything but the opening sequences of Anchorman are so perfectly set up to go with what follows that you can’t look away.

the prologue of fellowship of the ring is perfectly made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back